My journey to the MPB Universe!

• Thread starter easypleasie
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
M

mrdizzle

easy hook a brother up with a diy minsplit install. haha i bought 2, 2ton fujitsu minis but ended up sending them back cuz i couldnt get them hooked up.

L

Lost

easy hook a brother up with a diy minsplit install. haha i bought 2, 2ton fujitsu minis but ended up sending them back cuz i couldnt get them hooked up.

Ahh crap, what was the issue? I figured I would ask since I'll have to do it next week..

E

easypleasie

lol dizzle. Let me get it running first before I try to show peeps how to do it. I'm sure there are many more qualified folks that could better explain the whole process. I was intimidated at first but had to figure it out since I didn't have an installer. The hardest part for me was running the lines through a bunch of walls. The next part was wiring up the 220v to my panel. That's the most risky part if you're not familiar with electricity. It's no big deal once you have done it once, assuming you survive lol. All I have left is to vacuum my lines and I can crank it up for a test run. I bought a vacuum pump and the gauge set as they are needed. I'll work on it in the next couple of days and report back. I'm confident you can install it with a little guidance. I would feel more comfortable if someone else explained the 220v process, though.

L

Lost

Nice.. Im buying the vacuum pump and guages from harbor freight. Looks to be about 150ish total..

E

easypleasie

Make sure you get the right gauge set for the kind of system it is. Should be R134a. I had to buy a second lineset since my first one was about 3 feet too short. What a pain in the ass having to run the lines twice!

L

Lost

I think the one im looking at uses r410.. If thats the newer stuff.. The same company sells and r134a to r401 adapter for around $10.

E

easypleasie

Yeah, either r-410a or r-134a. I have no idea of the differences, though. I know you don't want anything r-22 as that's being phased out.

E

easypleasie

Ok, so I went to vacuum my lines today and saw r-410a on my mini-split manual! I managed to get the wrong gauge set for my system! I thought my mini-split was r-134a but it's r-410a. No idea how I mixed that one up lol. I hope it doesn't involve more than getting an adapter. Can anyone with some hvac experience chime in on this?

L

Lost

Yea, its a 10 dollar adapter.. I just bought my vacuum and manifold and line set.. 200 shipped.. less than an installer...

E

easypleasie

Thanks Lost, I hope there isn't a problem with line pressures. My gauges say r-134a on them. Doh! Hell yeah...less than an installer and you'll have it for future use!

T

TokinPodPilot

I would love to see a DIY on the final installation for the split A/C's. I've been thinking of running one inside a tent since I was short on floor space, but wasn't too sure if I could do the final install myself or if I needed to find someone to do it. I'm pretty sure I can handle every other part myself... the only part I have doubt is the vacuuming of the lines and final install/test.

E

easypleasie

Lost, can you send a link to this adapter? Only adapter I found was from r410 to r410a. I think it might be a little more involved than just an adapter. I want to feel completely confident before I move forward. I may just pick up the right gauges to be on the safe side.

E

easypleasie

lol once again we're the guinea pigs. Somebody's gotta do it, right? lol

O

OregonMeds

I would love to see a DIY on the final installation for the split A/C's. I've been thinking of running one inside a tent since I was short on floor space, but wasn't too sure if I could do the final install myself or if I needed to find someone to do it. I'm pretty sure I can handle every other part myself... the only part I have doubt is the vacuuming of the lines and final install/test.

Absolutely if there is a DIY or someone wants to do one many could benefit from it. I will be doing a split a/c later down the line when I can swing the cost also, and don't know how yet either.

E

easypleasie

Update

I still haven't gotten around to vacuuming my a/c lines. I finally ordered the correct gauge set after realizing the one I have won't work. I'm hoping to get to it soon after I finish renovating the rooms. I had to tear down a wall just so my res would fit lol. This has been holding things up but i'm back on track now.

My new veg setup has gone through a trial run (no plants) and looks like it might work. It's top feed rdwc in 5 gallon buckets that sit in a 2x3 tray(soon to be 3x3). The buckets have holes in the side at the same level as in the mpb tubs. They just drain into the tray which then drains via 1.5" drain into a 35 gallon res. 1/3 hp jbj chiller and 1200 gph pump used for the chiller and top feed lines. 1/2" poly main feed line with two 1/4" drip lines to each bucket. Each drip line is T'd into two more lines to make it 4 for each bucket. Each bucket has a round air stone glued to the bottom with aquarium safe silicone. I don't have pics of it running as I had to tear it down to move it. I have some pics of the buckets though.

I found tubs the same dimensions as what dds uses from a storage container company here in the States. These tubs are super heavy duty and at least twice the thickness of any tubs/buckets i've messed with. Even the lid is really solid and doesn't have crazy flex.

I was a little concerned about potential blockage so i'm using 1.5" drain lines. I'm using an 1800 gph bottom feed line and 1200 gph top feed line flowing through 5 buckets. 500 gph per min-res! The drains are for kitchen sinks and cost about $5 each. They thread on to 1.5" pvc so hopefully i'll be able to get away without flexible hose. I won't know if this will work till I get everything placed in the room. Nice thing about the threaded drains is it's easy to unscrew them to check the roots or clean the drains.

There's an 8" round air stone in the bottom of each mini-res. I'm hoping my Alita 80l will be enough to drive those big air stones. They have 3/8" barbed ends so gotta figure out how i'm gonna run the air to them.

Ok, no more rambling...on to some pics!

DSC 1185
DSC 1200
DSC 1206
DSC 1207
DSC 1190
DSC 1197
DSC 1199
B

Boots Sugarleaf

this may or may not be helpful for you guys with the ac questions but this company has plug and play ac systems...and a cool little room calculator for which system you would need

http://excelair.ca/

HTH

E

easypleasie

Thanks guys. I wouldn't have gotten this far without ya'll paving the way. One day i'll actually have some plants in there lol

H

heater

That adaptor in the link is what you want if you already have gauges.
Vacuum is what you will be looking for you will have no use for the pressures unless experienced with a/c service. With 410a it is critical to have a dry system before releasing pressure.The oil is hydroscopic and moisture is next to impossible to remove once mixed.
If your using the gauge set for vacuum pull it down as low as it will go and let it run for about an hour and close valves check to see you get no pressure rise. Pressure rise means leak or moisture in the lines.When leak free pull another vacuum (more time is better).
Check for leaks using nitrogen are some 410a and bubbles.
You don't need to ck. pressures if you don't add more line, if you add more line it tells you how many ounces per foot to add.

Latest posts

Top Bottom