My lady is sick and i don't know what to do

• Thread starter EddyWally
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
EddyWally

EddyWally

So this lady has been out a bit already, she's been under a 18/6 light schedule since June. Only recently I changed it to 12/12. I made some mistakes already along the line since she was one of my first. As an example the soil she is is probably on the dense side since there is no perlite mixed it. I've been experimenting with auto flowers mostly but she is not. As you can see in the picture she is showing signs of some sickness. She was looking sick before, I flushes her with PH 6 water and I've been making sure that in general the water is around 6 PH. I haven't pinpointed what is going on with her and what to do. I was think maybe a calcium deficiency but to be honest I have no clue. Hoping there is some amazing guru out here that can tell me more what to do.

Thanks to everybody taking their time reading this.

-Eddy Wally

My lady is sick and i dont know what to do
My lady is sick and i dont know what to do 2
OutdoorGrowGuy

OutdoorGrowGuy

Hello Eddy,

Watering everytime with 6.0pH can't be good in my opinion. Especially without adequate drainage and aeration.
I imagine your soil's acidic causing lockout.

What prompted you to flush?
What fertilizer / nutrients have you been using? How much and how often?
How often are you watering?
Why pH 6.0 for plain water? What's it like out your tap?

My own advice is to assess your soil's pH before watering again.
Careful you're not overwatering. Heavy soil + flushing you probably are.
Slurry or soil probe to test pH.

In the event your soil is acidic, don't needlessly flush it.
I'd start with a handful of dolomite lime, to topdress your soil. And water it in well with plain water, pH 6.5 - 7.5

Gonna be touch and go..

P.S. Do pH your nutrient, if that's what the product recommends. But plain water 6.5 - 7.5 between feeds with a small amount of runoff.

BurnzYzBudZz

BurnzYzBudZz

HOWCan.i.helPYOU?
Supporter
Looks like it could be a number of things. Light or heat stress. Improper watering. Soil pH is outta wack. Or could be a phosphorous def. I do know one thing, they either look hungry or locked out. So are you growing in soil or coco?

EddyWally

EddyWally

Hello Eddy,

Watering everytime with 6.0pH can't be good in my opinion. Especially without adequate drainage and aeration.
I imagine your soil's acidic causing lockout.

What prompted you to flush?
What fertilizer / nutrients have you been using? How much and how often?
How often are you watering?
Why pH 6.0 for plain water? What's it like out your tap?

My own advice is to assess your soil's pH before watering again.
Careful you're not overwatering. Heavy soil + flushing you probably are.
Slurry or soil probe to test pH.

In the event your soil is acidic, don't needlessly flush it.
I'd start with a handful of dolomite lime, to topdress your soil. And water it in well with plain water, pH 6.5 - 7.5

Gonna be touch and go..

P.S. Do pH your nutrient, if that's what the product recommends. But plain water 6.5 - 7.5 between feeds with a small amount of runoff.
Hello ODGG

Let me First of all thank you for the Quick and thorough answer. I'll try to come back at you in the same manner.

What prompted you to flush? I had been reading about nutrient deficiency and excess, the way she looked and considering the heavy soil I figured it had to be an excess so my unexperienced mind told me to try this flushing I had been reeding up on..

What fertilizer / nutrients have you been using? How much and how often? As a fertilizer I use easy grow and easy bloom from Royal Queen Seeds. Picture of the packaging. I didn't use the bloom on this plant yet though. She's been getting the easy grow mixed with 5l-6l of water. And she's been getting it from the start. The packaging said it can be given from germination.. Since the flush she's been getting plain water.

How often are you watering? I water more or less every 2-3-4 days, tbh I put my first her in the soil and I water here when she is dry. I've been trying to water so. She is dry in 2-3 days.

Why pH 6.0 for plain water? Again because I have been reading water should be around 6-6.5 so that's why I've been lowering the ph on my water. I didn't do it for the first two months because I didn't have the tools yet.

What's it like out your tap? Out my tap I get around 7.5-7.8

My own advice is to assess your soil's pH before watering again. How do I asses my soil? With one of those ph soil meter? I don't own one of those. Is there different ways?

And last but not least, give me your honest opinion doc! You think she will still manage to pull through? Or is it looking like a lost cause, considering I already messed up with the soil.. I have been questioning if she is savable to still get some harvest or if i'm waisting time and resources on her..

Very kind regards!
Eddy Wally for ev

EddyWally

EddyWally

Looks like it could be a number of things. Light or heat stress. Improper watering. Soil pH is outta wack. Or could be a phosphorous def. I do know one thing, they either look hungry or locked out. So are you growing in soil or coco?
I'm growing in soil, only soil, nothing mixed in. I know this was a mistake already because it makes it very dense..

EddyWally

EddyWally

I caught a glimpse of some roots in the soil, they don't look their normal white color. A bit of a brow tint. This is a sign of root rot right?

OutdoorGrowGuy

OutdoorGrowGuy

Good morning EddyWally,

No problem at all mate. Just sharing my favorite hobby, glad to offer advice or help if I feel it's relevant.
Thanks for the detailed reply.
I had been reading about nutrient deficiency and excess, the way she looked and considering the heavy soil I figured it had to be an excess so my unexperienced mind told me to try this flushing I had been reeding up on..
What fertilizer / nutrients have you been using? How much and how often? As a fertilizer I use easy grow and easy bloom from Royal Queen Seeds. Picture of the packaging. I didn't use the bloom on this plant yet though. She's been getting the easy grow mixed with 5l-6l of water. And she's been getting it from the start. The packaging said it can be given from germination.. Since the flush she's been getting plain water.

I water more or less every 2-3-4 days, tbh I put my first her in the soil and I water here when she is dry. I've been trying to water so. She is dry in 2-3 days.
Yeah heavy soil is really tough. So easy to overwater, overfert and encourages anaerobic conditions. (low oxygen, poor aeration, low ph, pathogens etc.)
Very likely you needn't have watered that often at all. I feel pretty confident the soil beneath or towards the bottom of your pot is staying too wet.
Also because it's heavy and holding onto a lot of water without adequate aeration / drainage, it's very likely overferted as well.
With regular fertigation the soil really needs to drain quickly once it's saturated.

Because I have been reading water should be around 6-6.5 so that's why I've been lowering the ph on my water. I didn't do it for the first two months because I didn't have the tools yet.
Out my tap I get around 7.5-7.8
Wise in my opinion to give plain water every 2nd or 3rd watering with a decent amount of runoff. This helps rinse any excess salts out the pot.
When you give plain water I really wouldn't be concerned about it's pH, if the ec isn't too high.
Bear in mind much of the time over fertilizing will lower pH of your media.
How do I asses my soil? With one of those ph soil meter? I don't own one of those. Is there different ways?
I feel pretty confident in suggesting you had been overfeeding and watering too often. I think if the soil pH is off, it's mostly a result from watering / feeding too often. Encouraged even more so by having heavy soil.
Attempting to correct pH in this instance will just make things worse imo.

I like the cheap kits you buy from a hardware or nursery. Comes with a liquid solution and barium sulfate powder, to test a sample, then compare it to the supplied colour chart. Really easy if you have a good eye and they're accurate.
Nothing really wrong with the meters but a good one isn't cheap, and tbh I've found the kits more reliable.

In my opinion it's sensible to test a soil sample right before planting. Removes so much of the guess work if planting, amending the soil, or when something's wrong. pH 6-6.5 and you're golden.
Personally I never it let go below 6.0 for soil, imo any lower it's asking for trouble. And try to keep it under 7 until I intervene.
The ones I buy come with about 100 tests worth.
And last but not least, give me your honest opinion doc! You think she will still manage to pull through? Or is it looking like a lost cause, considering I already messed up with the soil.. I have been questioning if she is savable to still get some harvest or if i'm waisting time and resources on her..
I think it's possible to turn things around, for sure. Though I would expect smaller yield.
If it's your hobby I say roll with it.
Very kind regards!
Eddy Wally for ev
Likewise Eddy!
Take it easy and have a good one.

Top Bottom