My other garden dwellers

• Thread starter BunkerBSMNT
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
I saw something 20+ years ago about a much faster way to grow these, since they are so slow growing. It involved grafting, but I still didn't understand how a grafted cactus could really grow any faster by grafting. I understand it is a time saver for propagating new cuts and stuff, but I didn't understand the concept behind it. In my neck of the woods, I last saw these nearly 45 years ago. Peruvian Torch and San Pedro were much fastr and much easier to locate and grow. Williamsi not so fast.

BunkerBSMNT

BunkerBSMNT

I saw something 20+ years ago about a much faster way to grow these, since they are so slow growing. It involved grafting, but I still didn't understand how a grafted cactus could really grow any faster by grafting. I understand it is a time saver for propagating new cuts and stuff, but I didn't understand the concept behind it. In my neck of the woods, I last saw these nearly 45 years ago. Peruvian Torch and San Pedro were much fastr and much easier to locate and grow. Williamsi not so fast.
If you graft them or grow them fast with lights and proper nutrients they will have little if any alkaloids in them. Grafting grows fast because the peyote gets to utilize the speedy nutrient uptake growth speed of the hostcacti. You can grow them from seed to maturity in about 3 years with proper light heat and nutrients faulty easily. In nature it takes much much longer but the alkaloids are also much stronger.

Top Bottom