My ph went from 6 to 5 pls help lol

• Thread starter Beefcurtins
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Beefcurtins

Beefcurtins

Hi so I’ve been having issues recently with the misuse of bat guano. Caused some burning and I introduced worm castings and Gaia green all purpose at the same time. The issue is that I’ve been trying to slightly raise my ph but since this toxicity issue it has caused my soils ph to go from 6 to 5. My attempts to raise it before went unfounded. And now that the ph is out of range where I really do need to raise it I am confused as to what to do from now on. Since I can’t seem to raise it do I just start using 6.5 ph water and hope it raises?

mancorn

mancorn

What’s your soil and how are you testing it’s pH? If the soil is buffered you’re not going to be able to dramatically raise the soil pH by pouring in high pH water. Dolomite or lime will raise soil pH. Oyster shell will also help buffer soil and is cheap.

Beefcurtins

Beefcurtins

Better go higher than 6.5. I'd try 7.5.
Well thing is I was trying to raise it before this happened and I was using what my tap water comes out as which is 8.50 or so. And it never made a difference. Then this happened so I don’t think I’ll be able to raise it with just my tap water

Beefcurtins

Beefcurtins

What’s your soil and how are you testing it’s pH? If the soil is buffered you’re not going to be able to dramatically raise the soil pH by pouring in high pH water. Dolomite or lime will raise soil pH. Oyster shell will also help buffer soil and is cheap.
Using miracle grow potting mix. I just been using my ph pen on the runoff.

mancorn

mancorn

I’d do a pour through test to make sure your soil has really been trashed. https://www.extension.purdue.edu/extmedia/HO/HO-285-w.pdf

Then try flushing your pots. Chasing pH fixes will probably just make things worse, but as mentioned lime and dolomite will raise your soil pH. You can also try wood ash if you have that available. But go real slow and try for small changes over time as opposed to a quick fix.

Beefcurtins

Beefcurtins

I’d do a pour through test to make sure your soil has really been trashed. https://www.extension.purdue.edu/extmedia/HO/HO-285-w.pdf

Then try flushing your pots. Chasing pH fixes will probably just make things worse, but as mentioned lime and dolomite will raise your soil pH. You can also try wood ash if you have that available. But go real slow and try for small changes over time as opposed to a quick fix.
Well I’m dealing with what I assume is calcium toxicity which eventually caused the ph problem. So adding dolomite lime and therefor more calcium would only make my situation worse

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

7.5 ? Where did u come up with that number? That's way to high. 6.5 would be as high I would go in soil.
If your soil pH is 5 and you want it to get to 6.5, adding 6.5 water won't do it. There's reserve acidity in that soil.

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

Well thing is I was trying to raise it before this happened and I was using what my tap water comes out as which is 8.50 or so. And it never made a difference. Then this happened so I don’t think I’ll be able to raise it with just my tap water
You can crush up some dolomite as best you can, mix it with water and water your plants with it.

The object is to get the fine lime particles into the soil.

BTW, what's in your water that makes the pH so high?

Beefcurtins

Beefcurtins

You can crush up some dolomite as best you can, mix it with water and water your plants with it.

The object is to get the fine lime particles into the soil.

BTW, what's in your water that makes the pH so high?
Not sure it just comes out the tap that high lately. It used to be around 7 about 6 weeks ago but I live in a small city the waters not 100% reliable. How do raise it back to 6 then?

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

Not sure it just comes out the tap that high lately. It used to be around 7 about 6 weeks ago but I live in a small city the waters not 100% reliable. How do raise it back to 6 then?
Adding dolomite or other limestone in water, ground up, is probably the safest way.

Latest posts

Top Bottom