My plant is looking strange/slightly yellower/canoeing

• Thread starter tomfarmer
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
tomfarmer

tomfarmer

Hi,

I am growing 4 plants in a polytunnel outside. My oldest, biggest, top to now strongest plant has just started flowering maybe a week ago. But many of the leaves are canoeing and the plant overall looks a little more yellow than it did.

canoe.jpg

^^ This is the plant I'm worried about

leaf.jpg

^^ canoed leaf also yellowing

leaf2.jpg

^^ canoed but less yellow

green.jpg

^^ A different plant in same space I am just adding for comparison. Way more free, still vegetating.

So on all these plants I have been using diatomaceous earth. I noticed on the big plant that the drainage was REALLY slow after I added it, and in fact I didn't even see any running out of the bottom of the pot. So I am worried maybe the diatomaceous earth has waterlogged the plant? If that's the case what can I do to fix the drainage in this soil? (it has vermiculite in it btw.) Or maybe it's nutrient lockout? I used a little veg feed when it was probably already flowering but I hadn't realised.

It used too be too humid, I fixed that by having vents now always open (wet climate so water needs to clear) and that's when I got the diatomaceous earth to fix flies that had shown up.

Any help really appreciated!

tomfarmer

tomfarmer

What are the temps in direct sun? It looks like heat stress and or low humidity lvls. Over watering tends to make leaves claw downward.
-Ben
Hmm I think no more than 30 celcius since I have all the vents open to keep heat down. But that's interesting it might not be humid enough? I had it really humid before, too humid but maybe now I've gone too far other direction.

I tended to think heat was ok as other plants ok but they're not flowering yet I don't think

30roll

30roll

Too hot, not enough airflow, under watered or the like.
MIne were doing that with the lights to close and being under watered indoors. The leaves looked like they had Arthritis and were creepy deformed. I watered them and raised the lights and they poped right back.
I've learned that these Plants really like to blow in the breeze a bit. The leaves will pray when they are really happy IMO..

tomfarmer

tomfarmer

So I have started keeping this plant outside of the polytunnel during the hottest part of the day. She doesn't look any different.. the more I read it seems heat stress can be prevented but maybe can't be fixed after the fact?

I'll see how she goes anyway!

tomfarmer

tomfarmer

Oh i forgot to ask - should I remove the really curled up leaves? Also, less nutrition for now, or carry on as normal?

bobbobby

bobbobby

Hi,

I am growing 4 plants in a polytunnel outside. My oldest, biggest, top to now strongest plant has just started flowering maybe a week ago. But many of the leaves are canoeing and the plant overall looks a little more yellow than it did.

View attachment 1145152

View attachment 1145155

View attachment 1145156

View attachment 1145157

^^ A different plant in same space I am just adding for comparison. Way more free, still vegetating.

So on all these plants I have been using diatomaceous earth. I noticed on the big plant that the drainage was REALLY slow after I added it, and in fact I didn't even see any running out of the bottom of the pot. So I am worried maybe the diatomaceous earth has waterlogged the plant? If that's the case what can I do to fix the drainage in this soil? (it has vermiculite in it btw.) Or maybe it's nutrient lockout? I used a little veg feed when it was probably already flowering but I hadn't realised.

It used too be too humid, I fixed that by having vents now always open (wet climate so water needs to clear) and that's when I got the diatomaceous earth to fix flies that had shown up.

Got 1 the same...But not as bad as yours... leaves still fairly green, but cupping uP like yours! U figure it out yet?

bobbobby

bobbobby

When leaves canoe like that it's usually a temp or RH issue, or both.
i got 1 like his, just not tht bad yet.... july was rainy and cool at night, and high humidity all month....? Now Aug is Hot wth high humi....

M

McPappaGreens

Should look up beet leafhopper and it's destruction on cannabis just one is all it takes to destroy many plants most curled leaves are a sign of pests that incorporated some disease into Thier system transmitting to any plant they bite the curly tomato virus from white flys for example are spread just by infestation like the beet leafhopper that doesn't just hang out on beets but has been found on cannabis farms however that might not be your case but most water problems and drought problems cause leaves to curl downward not inward to itself like you have even lac of calcium or sillica makes leaves droopy and floppy and to curl under although the lack of humidity could take a toll if it's really dry where you are if that's the case the leaves would flatten apon watering anyways I'm leaning more towards a virus of some sort

SmallGuy

SmallGuy

Hi,

View attachment 1145152

View attachment 1145155

View attachment 1145156

View attachment 1145157

Looks like heat stress. I wouldn't enclose them where you get heat build up. Better off out in the weather unless it's late fall and very wet so they can breathe.

Top Bottom