My plant seems droopy

• Thread starter Atokad28
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
There’s plenty of organic alternatives to MG at your local hardware store if you don’t have access to a hydro shop or amazon. Alaskan Fish Fertilizer is a good choice and is cheap.

az2000

az2000

There’s plenty of organic alternatives to MG at your local hardware store if you don’t have access to a hydro shop or amazon. Alaskan Fish Fertilizer is a good choice and is cheap.

I like AK fish. But, it's 5-1-1. You need something else for a more balance ratio (unless the soil is fortified and you just need to supplement nitrogen.

AK has "Morbloom" which is 0-10-10. You can mix 11 & 3ml to get ratio 1.23-1-1 (285ppm). Or 13 & 2ml for 1.83-1-1 (280ppm).

I like more K through the grow. That's one thing I like about MG All-Purpose. It has ratio 3-1-2. Mix it with Tomato (ratio 1-1-1.2) to get something in between. 1.2 gram of each is 1.62-1-1.42 (270ppm)

Smoking Gun

Smoking Gun

My suggestion to not use Miracle Grow products is because their products contain levels of heavy metals unsuitable for human consumption. Those heavy metals get into the plants and cannot be removed. Miracle grow was designed for growing flowers and ornamental plants, it was never intended for consumable plants. I urge you all to stop using miracle grow products, no I personally would not trust anything organic from them either, and tell any of your friends using Miracle Grow to stop.

az2000

az2000

All I see there is something about a pelleted product (for lawns?). Nothing about heavy metals and the fertilizer not being intended for growing ingestible prouce, only ornamental flowers?

Relying upon that as a reference for such sweeping claims seems like a stretch.

There are databases with chemical analysis, showing metal content of fertilizers. The last time I looked, I saw nothing unusual. For example, see:

Frequently the higher-end fertilizers have more. For example, regarding lead content: "Dyna-Gro Foliage Pro contains 2.5 mg per liter, which is 16 times higher than Miracle-Gro."

Last edited:
Atokad28

Atokad28

My Droopy soil plant has perked up and were i topped it now has 2 steams. But sadly its a male so ill be pulling it out and starting a fresh soil plant with better soil. My hydro plant (same age and strain) seems to be female so im not complety with out a plant. If anyone has sugestions on what to do with the male rather than pulling it up please im down for letting it live.

az2000

az2000

But with using miracle grow will I not be able to smoke the buds?

I just spent some time at the Washington State Dept. of Ag database (<<link, showing metal content of horticultural products). This is the MG "Potting Mix" you're using:

Mg potting mix

This is the Kellogg Patio Plus I use in my soil (the soil I normally grow in, not the cactus stuff I'm testing right now):

Kellogg patio plus

My Kellogg numbers are probably worse than your MiracleGro because Kellogg has organic sources of nutrients. That's the irony about this topic. Like that dudegrows article (<<link) I referenced in the previous post. Azomite contains twice as much lead as your potting mix. Fox Farms Cha-ching contains 30% more cadmium. Fox Farms Wholly Mackeral contains 5 times the arsenic, 10% more mercury. Within the scale of all this, Fox Farms Ocean Forest is not much different than the potting mix you're using.

The less-strong (and more organic) MG Organic Choice potting mix is:

Mg organic choice potting mix

Some of those things are higher than Fox Farms Ocean Forest. Some are lower.

If a widely available potting were not intended to grow food items, was dangerous, etc.... don't you think there would be class action lawsuits all over the place?

I totally understand that people hate Scotts (and MiracleGro is the easiest target for that hate). But, these things often sound like the "truther" movement. There's a grain of truth, but in the context of things it's not what it's claimed to be. Or, it's a parade of horribles (like that Hunker piece, recalls, lawn fertilzing affecting pets, etc. Nothing specific to that potting mix. Just "if there's smoke over here, there must be fire over there."). People hear things and repeat it.

One useful thing I found: I've often complained about Fox Farms not publishing an NPK ratio for Ocean Forest and Happy Frog. The database says OF is 0.30-0.45-0.05. HF is 0.30-0.30-0.05.

BudBogart

BudBogart

All I see there is something about a pelleted product (for lawns?). Nothing about heavy metals and the fertilizer not being intended for growing ingestible prouce, only ornamental flowers?

Relying upon that as a reference for such sweeping claims seems like a stretch.

There are databases with chemical analysis, showing metal content of fertilizers. The last time I looked, I saw nothing unusual. For example, see:

Frequently the higher-end fertilizers have more. For example, regarding lead content: "Dyna-Gro Foliage Pro contains 2.5 mg per liter, which is 16 times higher than Miracle-Gro."

Yup, I didn’t spend all day researching any and all claims. I spent 90 seconds googling problems with miracle grow. I’m not gonna do it all for you. The pages are already published if you have an interest you can google. If not, enjoy your grow anyway.

az2000

az2000

I spent 90 seconds googling problems with miracle grow.

"Problems" with MiracleGro is vastly different than saying the potting mix is unsafe, not intended to grow ingestable produce due to metals, etc.

I'm not a fan of MG. But, there's no reason to make anything out to be worse than it is. That doesn't help anyone.

BudBogart

BudBogart

"Problems" with MiracleGro is vastly different than saying the potting mix is unsafe, not intended to grow ingestable produce due to metals, etc.

I'm not a fan of MG. But, there's no reason to make anything out to be worse than it is. That doesn't help anyone.

When I jumped in, the conversation was about mg products, not just potting soil. I agree that mg actually makes one fertilizer labeled as intended for tomatoes and veggies. I still would never use it, especially on the foliage but I’m all organic now anyway. My suggestion is that farmers may want to research before using.
The specific issue I have with any time released fertilizer in the soil is you don’t want anything that will release a load of nitrogen while you’re midway through flowering.

Leelandgrow3

Leelandgrow3

More seeds for yourself lol
My Droopy soil plant has perked up and were i topped it now has 2 steams. But sadly its a male so ill be pulling it out and starting a fresh soil plant with better soil. My hydro plant (same age and strain) seems to be female so im not complety with out a plant. If anyone has sugestions on what to do with the male rather than pulling it up please im down for letting it live.View attachment 894614View attachment 894615View attachment 894616

az2000

az2000

When I jumped in, the conversation was about mg products, not just potting soil.

C'mon. This is what you replied to:

My suggestion to not use Miracle Grow products is because their products contain levels of heavy metals unsuitable for human consumption.
Do you have a reference for that?

You replied with a parade or horribles about lawn products -- when the topic is clearly about growing cannabis.

IMO, this kind of stuff is bullying. I've seen people who can't participate on forums because they're shamed for using Organic Choice -- which is a huge improvement over all the other MG potting mixes. It's just cliquey behavior, repeating the meme. There's so many bad MG grows due to the person choosing the wrong variety of potting mix (and feeding on top f that), that it's turned into it all being bad. Anyone who uses it, is part of the "out group." They always have to justify their use of it.

That leads to the "heavy metals, human consumption" story which nobody challenges. But, you're right there to jump in (and then equivocate about what you were doing.). I think it's bullying.

I still would never use it, especially on the foliage but I’m all organic now anyway. ...
The specific issue I have with any time released fertilizer in the soil is you don’t want anything that will release a load of nitrogen while you’re midway through flowering.

There's a many non-Scotts products I would never use (but I don't go around saying those who use it can't safely consume there harvest.). And, I've seen plenty of people who would benefit from more N in flower. That's just called personal opinion. One can do that without going "truther" about it.

BudBogart

BudBogart

C'mon. This is what you replied to:

You replied with a parade or horribles about lawn products -- when the topic is clearly about growing cannabis.

IMO, this kind of stuff is bullying. I've seen people who can't participate on forums because they're shamed for using Organic Choice -- which is a huge improvement over all the other MG potting mixes. It's just cliquey behavior, repeating the meme. There's so many bad MG grows due to the person choosing the wrong variety of potting mix (and feeding on top f that), that it's turned into it all being bad. Anyone who uses it, is part of the "out group." They always have to justify their use of it.

That leads to the "heavy metals, human consumption" story which nobody challenges. But, you're right there to jump in (and then equivocate about what you were doing.). I think it's bullying.

There's a many non-Scotts products I would never use (but I don't go around saying those who use it can't safely consume there harvest.). And, I've seen plenty of people who would benefit from more N in flower. That's just called personal opinion. One can do that without going "truther" about it.

Sorry you felt bullied.
Enjoy your grow.

Longmountain

Longmountain

So far i havent added any nutrients nit since its week in the hydro bucket. But why can your use Miracle-Gro on anything edible or anything being smoked. I looked a bit into it and other than problems with too much nutirents i cant find anyrhing saying its harmful. But I try to open to open the closet multiple times a day to help with fresh air. I kinda just have some fans brining in fresh air from outside into the room the closet is in. Then there is a fan in the closet on tbe door moving air in the grow area. This is my first time growing any type of plant so ill try the lifting method and try to rely less in the meter.
I have read in several books and online and miracle gro is not a good choice for our projects go to your local grow shop and talk to them I use fox farm and 1/2 what they suggest for the first month to prevent burn. I also use the same meter works well but I have1 just for moisture. Good luck with your grow

Smoking Gun

Smoking Gun

First and foremost I want to apologize ahead of time to @Atokad28 for hijcking this thread, unintentionally though.

I have spent some time doing a bit more research into the Miracle Gro issue, and the results I have seen are surprisingly mixed. It does appear that Miracle gro products do seem to be surprisigly low in tested amounts of heavy metals in their products. So in that regard it would appear safe to use. However I was able to find a study that showed significantly higher amounts of retained heavy metals in tomatoes grown with Miracle Gro tomato food. Here is the link: https://www.thcfarmer.com/threads/my-plant-seems-droopy.106418/.

As was said earlier it is surprising to see how many heavy metals are found in organic products. While over a long term those heavy metals are probably damaging to soils and ecosystems I have to wonder how bio-available those heavy metals are when in organic products. Even if they are in the organic products if they are bound by other elements they may not become available to our plants and never find their way into our final product. However this is purely and idea and not supported by any science that I have read.

Top Bottom