My poor mans grow tent

• Thread starter Slim0317
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

Slim0317

I have 3 clones from a local dispensary and things were going well until I noticed my MAC starting to flower. I have a couple of (mostly) full spectrum grow lights from Walmart and wanted a more permanent spot for them since I was going to turn the lights on for good until I want to flip them. I have a 4 person pop-up tent and had a crazy idea. A few pvc couplers and a strange look from the Walmart associate when I asked for the rest of the emergency space blankets. Now, there is absolutely nothing scientific about this. I don't know how much air the fan moves or specifics on lighting, co2, blah, blah. I have one strawberry cough, one MAC, and one Gelato #33 in ffof. This is what I MacGyvered. So far so good, I think, though I don't know what it looks like when a plant goes back to veg from a preflower state, but that's another thread. Comments welcome

My poor mans grow tent
My poor mans grow tent 2
My poor mans grow tent 3
Deadstill

Deadstill

I'm from the government, and I'm here to help.
Supporter
Lol I love it man just make sure it's weighted down and staked very well - those things like to fly away and even collapse in high winds!

Also, just so you know, those tents aren't designed to be out in the sun 24/7 and after a few months will fade and the fabric will become brittle after a year. I left a tent almost exactly like that up for 6 months and it was ruined.

NorthernOrganics

NorthernOrganics

I dig it, but like Ponky said, I doubt it's light proof. Cool idea. Definitely want to think about pest prevention.

S

Slim0317

In response to the light, it doesn't matter if they are or not. First 4 blankets covers that pvc frame and there's 8 on it, but that was more so they would be more reflective because I don't turn the lights out. My MAC started to preflower so I immediately took them all off 18/6. I had 2 purple punches thar flowered early and only netted about a quarter. I know a handful of people that stick their plants in a tent and stop in to water/check them. I was going for less movement (clumsy as hell) and ease of use. If there are additional benefits, bonus!
As for the longevity of the tents outside, I lived in the streets of AL in the same tents. Yes, they fade, dry rot, everything is disposable nowadays. There are things you can do. I lived, quite comfortably considering, through 2 Alabama winters in a 3 season 8-man. Thanks for all comments/critiques/advice. I know I don't know everything. But I don't have to. I just need to know the person who does. Congrats, you are now part of the network. Ciao

S

Slim0317

Light can pass through the emergency blankets. Might want to black it out. guerilla growing in a tent? Well there's a first for everything.
Not guerrilla. I'm in San Diego so it's all legit. It's mostly about having a dedicated spot, semi-controllable conditions. With the tent I don't have the limitations of the seasons, not that there's that much change down here.

Ponky

Ponky

Not guerrilla. I'm in San Diego so it's all legit. It's mostly about having a dedicated spot, semi-controllable conditions. With the tent I don't have the limitations of the seasons, not that there's that much change down here.
Ok nice. No law makes it easier. Guess a small shed or maybe one of those car cover shelters would be a nice upgrade. If you can get away with it.

S

Slim0317

Directly behind said tent is said carport. Wheels are still cranking on that one.

20220528 200841
S

Slim0317

So, I may be hijacking my own thread, but my grow tent has morphed into a grow shed. Should give me better control over the environment. It'll block the light when I'm ready to flip them anyway. Started this morning about 10am. Finished right at sunset. The best part is every bit of it is scraps from the yard, cut very few pieces. Only measured the cutouts for the front door frame. I laughed out loud a couple of times at how some of the pieces fit like they were cut for it, though about half came from something I'd built with them late last year.

20220607 203607
20220607 185033
20220607 185022
20220607 185001
20220607 123114
S

Slim0317

And I know there's gaps now. There won't be by the time I'm ready to turn the lights out.

dirtyoldman

dirtyoldman

Not guerrilla. I'm in San Diego so it's all legit. It's mostly about having a dedicated spot, semi-controllable conditions. With the tent I don't have the limitations of the seasons, not that there's that much change down

A camping tent looks like a headache, a fail, and a waste of cultivars. Spend a little money and do a real grow. Build a little greenhouse. You can put a padlock on it. Even a tiny greenhouse could bring a fat harvest in that strong desert sun. Probably hydroponics++If you don't want to water them 10 times a day.

S

Slim0317

Did you notice that the tent is no longer up. I have actual plants that are actually alive and growing so I don't see how this isn't a real grow, especially since my strawberry cough has produced 2 still healthy clones.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Man this reminds of a guy that ised to be a member here lol. Awesome dude but i wont mention names. We used to joke you could see his grow from space lol

S

Slim0317

And I know there's gaps now. There won't be by the time I'm ready to turn the lights out.

And here is how I intend to remedy the gap problem. Have to get a few more 2x3 and 2x4, but it'll be finished in a day or two. Found some osb that basically has aluminum foil on one side. The claim is when shiny side in on the roof and out on the walls that your home will stay up to x degrees cooler and save x percentage on hvac costs. Saved me from having to buy thermal bubble wrap and wallpaper the inside with it. And if it's not reflective enough, I have plenty of emergency blankets. Looking for a deal on an infinity cloudline t6 and leds.

20220719 095215
S

Slim0317

It's not in contact with the ground. Maybe I'm just slow, but I'm not familiar with treated ground contact wood unless it's called something else. Fill me in?

Ponky

Ponky

It's not in contact with the ground. Maybe I'm just slow, but I'm not familiar with treated ground contact wood unless it's called something else. Fill me in?
It's usually a 4x4 pressure treated and infused with a copper mix. It's designed to not decompose. You would use it for fences or anything that sits in the ground. Or needs to be somewhere damp. Has a label on it. Usually says for ground contact. For the footings in you're not using blocks.

Top Bottom