My sorta unintentional light experiment

• Thread starter freezeland2
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
freezeland2

freezeland2

So I started two Bruce Banner and two Super Lemon Haze. I dropped the beans in May 1st and all four popped on the 4th. My intention was to put them outdoors on June 1st. I have been using my local sunrise / sunset time as lights on/off. I increase it each week to keep up with the increase in day light. I am now putting down 325 ppfd for 14 1/2 hours a day. I decided that I’m keeping them indoors but I plan to maintain the small weekly increases until the summer equinox on June 21st. I’ll also be bumping the ppfd up as I go. I plan to flip to 12/12 on June 22nd. I’m surprised how well they are vegetating and it’s why I’m not going to go to 18/6. I see no need with these plants. Bruce Banner is on left, and super lemon haze on the right.

My sorta unintentional light experiment
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

So I started two Bruce Banner and two Super Lemon Haze. I dropped the beans in May 1st and all four popped on the 4th. My intention was to put them outdoors on June 1st. I have been using my local sunrise / sunset time as lights on/off. I increase it each week to keep up with the increase in day light. I am now putting down 325 ppfd for 14 1/2 hours a day. I decided that I’m keeping them indoors but I plan to maintain the small weekly increases until the summer equinox on June 21st. I’ll also be bumping the ppfd up as I go. I plan to flip to 12/12 on June 22nd. I’m surprised how well they are vegetating and it’s why I’m not going to go to 18/6. I see no need with these plants. Bruce Banner is on left, and super lemon haze on the right.
Proof in the pudding so many ppl overlight their plants and it causes all sorts of issues. You see how healthy they look. Leaves flat and outstretched, no tacoing and spiked leaf edges, great color etc. this is where ppl need to start and work from.

You sir are going to learn alot from this grow. Its much like over watering if you do it consistently you never learn to water properly. When you under water you learn fast.

You slowly increase the light just until you see ever so slight stress but if you go past that you will see worse results, poor plant health and a host of issues so you would have been better off slightly under lighting and have had better results too.

Its the DLI that counts, basically the intensity x duration… many dont out the fact that peak sunlight intensity is only 4 hrs a day on a clear sunny day. Indoors are lights are a fixed intensity so they get that everyday all day…. No cloudy days inside.

Personally i feel you have no issue going to 18/6 if you resuce the light by the same % you increase the time you will see the same reaults…. Maybe even better.

Waaaaay to many are over lighting their plants with this new LED tech without having things dialed in to do so.

Perfect example of how reducing the light reduces the demands and at the first sign of trouble is the first thing you should do.

I think everyone should start out like this. Gotta walk before you run.

Like i say your going to learn a lot from this in the personal experience department… its hard to understand until you do it…. Good on you sir and thank you for posting this gem.

Your on your way to being an expert on the benefits and seeing first hand how to read the plants responses to light.

Im stoked to see how little issues your going to have because its going to blow your mind.

Sorry for the long winded rant but its really great to see someone get it

freezeland2

freezeland2

Proof in the pudding so many ppl overlight their plants and it causes all sorts of issues. You see how healthy they look. Leaves flat and outstretched, no tacoing and spiked leaf edges, great color etc. this is where ppl need to start and work from.

You sir are going to learn alot from this grow. Its much like over watering if you do it consistently you never learn to water properly. When you under water you learn fast.

You slowly increase the light just until you see ever so slight stress but if you go past that you will see worse results, poor plant health and a host of issues so you would have been better off slightly under lighting and have had better results too.

Its the DLI that counts, basically the intensity x duration… many dont out the fact that peak sunlight intensity is only 4 hrs a day on a clear sunny day. Indoors are lights are a fixed intensity so they get that everyday all day…. No cloudy days inside.

Personally i feel you have no issue going to 18/6 if you resuce the light by the same % you increase the time you will see the same reaults…. Maybe even better.

Waaaaay to many are over lighting their plants with this new LED tech without having things dialed in to do so.

Perfect example of how reducing the light reduces the demands and at the first sign of trouble is the first thing you should do.

I think everyone should start out like this. Gotta walk before you run.

Like i say your going to learn a lot from this in the personal experience department… its hard to understand until you do it…. Good on you sir and thank you for posting this gem.

Your on your way to being an expert on the benefits and seeing first hand how to read the plants responses to light.

Im stoked to see how little issues your going to have because its going to blow your mind.

Sorry for the long winded rant but its really great to see someone get it
Thanks Aqua man. I’ll be keeping this thread updated weekly.

freezeland2

freezeland2

Now a week since transplant. Bruce Banner on left, super lemon haze on right. The banner plants are both showing sex.

Putting down 350 ppfd for 14 hrs and 42 minutes during the light on cycle.

Not doing living soil this grow. Using ffof, with great white products and roots organic terp tea grow. Plants were all topped 5 days ago.

freezeland2

freezeland2

Plants are 5 weeks from sprout now. Still only getting a little over 14 1/2 hours of light at 375 ppfd. They made it 2 weeks in the 1 gallon plastic pots before outgrowing them. I transplanted to 7 g fabrics today. That’s their final homes. I’ll be vegging these for two more weeks. I plan to move the two Bruce banner plants in the front of pic to my tent to flower. The super lemon haze in back of pic will have the room where it sits now all by itself to flower. All were topped about 12 days ago. I did have a fourth plant but it turned up showing balls so I killed it.

4CC9FE69 F7E3 4B77 9A2C A87F734CC748
freezeland2

freezeland2

So I have had a small change in my grow plan. The plants I had hanging to dry in my tent were dry enough to shuck the buds to bags so I now have my tent back. I separated the super lemon haze to its own flowering room and vanquished the Bruce Banner plants to the tent. I flipped all to 12/12 today, I had originally planned that for next week on 6/22/2022. But that’s ok, they have veg’d enough (6 weeks now) and we’re ready to flip. They are showing sex and alternating branches so it was time.

Super Lemon Haze
C3269C8B 88E8 413F 9307 6083D3DD720F

Bruce Banner

166C3046 8525 432F 9ECA B3EB9C40515E
freezeland2

freezeland2

One week from flip. Ain’t she pretty, lol. She veg’d 6 weeks under 14 1/2 hrs light. The Bruce Banners are also doing as well. I fed them grow nutes today, don’t want a N def 3 or 4 weeks in flower. Will probably mix both grow and bloom at next feed and then bloom and boost from then on.

41B5C37E 686C 4D21 AC40 6F1D7FB2FA94
freezeland2

freezeland2

Today begins week three of flower. The super lemon haze is getting big. Glad she has the room to herself. Should be about halfway through the stretch. She’s a little droopy this morning wanting some water.

E4E858E5 E4B7 4E35 B8F7 669909EDB9E7
freezeland2

freezeland2

Now beginning week 4 of flower. I gave her last shot of N two weeks ago and am seeing that was not needed. No burnt tips or leaf surface burning, just a few claws on the upper bud sites. So no more N for her. There is zero yellowing anywhere on the plant and at this point in flower I’d normally expect to begin to see that. Not that I am complaining about that. I did feed her first dose of roots organic terp tea bloom and bloom booster topped dressed today. She was then watered with roots organic calmag and great white king crab and micro chum. She had her last shot of great white and orca last week. She is one of the bigger indoor plants I have ever grown and one of the most beautiful. I hope she finishes out nice.

My light is now pinned to the ceiling but I think she is at or coming to the end of her stretch.

Last edited:
freezeland2

freezeland2

Forgot to add some size perspective. The walls of that room are 44” wide. She is close to touching the walls on both sides.

freezeland2

freezeland2

Now beginning of week 5.

Super lemon haze is getting top heavy. I had to rig a shower curtain rod across the walls and secure the limbs to it with soft ties. I think this girl is giving me her full potential for indoors.

freezeland2

freezeland2

Start of week 6

Guessing I’m now half way to the finish line. Pic is from last night just before lights out.

1ED4C030 988C 4612 AC37 F4FB9E1A2296
freezeland2

freezeland2

Week 7

The Super Lemon Hazel plant is beginning to go in to finish mode. 3 or 4 weeks left. She should give a nice yield.

5F7682F4 E4F8 42DA BEF5 CE41CD687AA5
5B8D0D72 11DC 46A9 BF50 D94C5A427E27
freezeland2

freezeland2

Really nice looking. I'm not noticing a CO2 bag...but love the insulation and the set up. Top Shelf
Thanks. There is a infloor sump behind the Lemon Haze for running drainage to. I used to do hydro with co2 in the room next to the room in the pic. It has water supply and exhaust to the exterior of house. It has that 6” exhaust duct in the pic connected to it now. No smell in the house. I don’t run carbon filter either on this room. No need.

Top Bottom