my theory would be that you can flower successfully under 4/4, 6/6 or 8/8 light cycles

• Thread starter GreenGalaxyFarm
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
E

elusiveshame

Isn't it day light hours DLR or some other acronym like that determines a plants growth. I've been told by an expert grower that we can increase a plants lighting at the end of their flower period for up to 7 - 10 days to improve their performance with bigger heavier buds by going to 18/6 without risking revegging by increasing its DLR(?)

I'm just trying to get my head around this but.......if 4+4+4 =12 and 6+6=12 , 2+4+2+4 =12.......isn't it all the same just except fking with the plants sleep and wake?

I think the logic behind it is to stress the plant out to finish faster.

I don’t think this will work in flowering, though.

GreenGalaxyFarm

GreenGalaxyFarm

I'm just trying to get my head around this but.......if 4+4+4 =12 and 6+6=12 , 2+4+2+4 =12.......isn't it all the same just except fking with the plants sleep and wake?
it appears to be so. with all things there must be advantages to drawbacks. its worth looking into imo.

GreenGalaxyFarm

GreenGalaxyFarm

a +-200sqft room in late flower take a lot of patience to get to, if 4/4 8/8/ 10/10 or any of these cycles work in achieving earlier flower and ripening and as a result more harvests but without suffering yield. I would like to know about it and be doing it myself. in essence it comes down to questioning the norm
or are you referring to
I don’t think this will work in flowering, though.

Observationist

Observationist

Isn't it day light hours DLR or some other acronym like that determines a plants growth. I've been told by an expert grower that we can increase a plants lighting at the end of their flower period for up to 7 - 10 days to improve their performance with bigger heavier buds by going to 18/6 without risking revegging by increasing its DLR(?)

Denominator.

Yes and yes , DLI.

And because more cycles in a 4/2 schedule veg

Observationist

Observationist

I’ve only used 6/2 twice but didn’t find I had to increase lighting. In fact the current grow was at 50% for weeks until healthier.

You found you needed to increase lighting when under 6/2 cycle?
Under 4/2, yes.

GreenGalaxyFarm

GreenGalaxyFarm

Yes and yes , DLI
if we are only considering mol/m²/d i would then ask why not be running 4/4 it results in the same but with the added cycles which' benefits are as yet unbeknownst to me but im always readiing..every article only considers 12/12 and 18/6 24/0 lighting so get boring sifting through those reason behind this thread thanks for all the input thus far 👍

Last edited:
GreenGalaxyFarm

GreenGalaxyFarm

2/2 4/4 6/6 8/8 isn't exactly reducing input though is it? It's just fucking with light cycles. Good luck though.
its why i say if youre only considering mol/m²/d or dli. there are many other parameters at play such as the increased watering of that comes with increased dli how do increase in watering cycles effect the growth for example so many factors
i would suggest a session with bugbee on ppfd and dli there exists a 16min and an hour version depending on how much time youre allowed to invest

Last edited:
BigBlonde

BigBlonde

not running 24h cycles would cause issue for me more so than my plants
I have trouble going from 18/6 to 12/12. To remind folks who live here to stay out of the lung room during dark periods, I have a light that comes on when it's okay to enter the room. It and the tent lights are controlled by our home automation system.

Question: Are the plants used for experimenting with alternate light/dark cycles photos? I would assume so. I'm wondering how autos would do.

Observationist

Observationist

I have trouble going from 18/6 to 12/12. To remind folks who live here to stay out of the lung room during dark periods, I have a light that comes on when it's okay to enter the room. It and the tent lights are controlled by our home automation system.

Question: Are the plants used for experimenting with alternate light/dark cycles photos? I would assume so. I'm wondering how autos would do.
Plants adapt quickly, it's just something fun to experiment with and see what changes.

BigBlonde

BigBlonde

I was threatening to do the same thing. Turn the grow room into a “dark room”.

Now the big question: Did it work?
Yes, it did. The main problem is changing our habits after the flip. Even our cat is involved. She was used to us going into the room at 6:00 AM and stands outside the door howling to remind us to go in and check the plants. (She likes to eat fan leaves.) Now she has to wait till 9:00 AM and doesn't like it. So having a light that is on the same schedule as the plants is a good reminder for the bleary-eyed human in desperate need of coffee not to enter the room.

We run the grow lights with Alexa, so it's easy to add more devices to the tent light routines.

Observationist

Observationist

Yes, it did. The main problem is changing our habits after the flip. Even our cat is involved. She was used to us going into the room at 6:00 AM and stands outside the door howling to remind us to go in and check the plants. (She likes to eat fan leaves.) Now she has to wait till 9:00 AM and doesn't like it.

We run the grow lights with Alexa, so it's easy to add more devices to the tent light routines.
That's pretty cool lol

Zen_Seeker

Zen_Seeker

Yes, it did. The main problem is changing our habits after the flip. Even our cat is involved. She was used to us going into the room at 6:00 AM and stands outside the door howling to remind us to go in and check the plants.
Ah, so it won’t work for me. My main issue is a kid in his 20’s that still acts like a 12 year old! 😝

My dog loves trim. Lately she’s been only eating the small leaves or shoots. Mostly good company. 🐶

BigBlonde

BigBlonde

Ah, so it won’t work for me. My main issue is a kid in his 20’s that still acts like a 12 year old! 😝
Perhaps a time lock on the door would help. Those are available for home automation systems, I think. Anyway, timing the lights with Alexa has worked well for us.

My dog loves trim. Lately she’s been only eating the small leaves or shoots. Mostly good company. 🐶
Our cat won't eat a leaf that has been cut off the plant unless I hold it in my hand in the same orientation as it was when it was on the plant. She's Siamese and generally kinda weird, but smart. She knows how to turn light switches on and off and sometimes jumps up and tries to turn a door knob.

Latest posts

Top Bottom