My tragic life continues, for now.

• Thread starter Frankster
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Frankster

Frankster

Never trust a doctor who's plants have died.
Supporter
Had to share this harrowing experience last night, should serve as a warning to those out there that have little kids around (or adults that act like kids). In my case.

So were were having a pretty normal night last night, eating pot brownies, she's on her 3 or 4th one, me on my 3rd, super stoned the both of us. I'm screwing around on the computer, then I hear a scream like I've not heard for many years, one of agony and pain, one that sets your hairs up on your back.

Go into the bath room, and my wife had taken my pH adjuster out of it's package (with all the other fertilizers, indicator solutions, test tubes, droppers and meters) then brought it into the bathroom thinking it was liquid tears, (she had liquid tears, but couldn't get the packaging off) putting potassium hydroxide in her eye (burning the fuck out of it).

I go in, see the dropper (knowing exactly what happened) and my heart sank, I've been an RN for over 20 years, so I push her head into the sink and put water up into her eye, can't get much in at that point, but try. Still yelling, I go in get a cup, pour it full of water lay her on the ground and flush her eye really good. Then I find the "actual" bottle of liquid tears and flush her again, thinking she's probably blind at this point. (or worse). After flushing really well, I put a tad of petroleum jelly to keep her eye moist and allow it to stay closed for the night and hopefully not get infected.

So anyhow, looking at her eye now, just cleaning out some of the mucus and she's got some signifigant swelling around the eye, (periorbital edema) but she can see. (thank god) and she looks like she'll recover ok. Apparently my quick call to action worked. l"ll keep an "eye" on it the next day or two to make sure it doesn't get infected, but I think she'll heal up ok. DO NOT, put POTASSIUM HYDROXIDE IN YOUR EYES EVER! (you can dissolve flesh and bones with this shit).

Fortunate for me, long ago, when I mixed this shit up, thankfully, I did not completely saturate the water with potassium hydroxide.

Even with these chemicals we use, using safety glasses (or hood) are a really good idea. Your eyes cannot withstand pH of 8.5 or 9 or 10.
Sodium hydroxide is strongly irritating and corrosive. It can cause severe burns and permanent damage to any tissue that it comes in contact with. Sodium hydroxide can cause hydrolysis of proteins, and hence can cause burns in the eyes which may lead to permanent eye damage.

Causes irritation of eyes with tearing, redness, swelling. Greater exposures cause severe burns with possible blindness resulting. Chronic Exposure: Prolonged contact with dilute solutions or dust of potassium hydroxide has a destructive effect on tissue.

Last edited:
Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Holy shit she's lucky. Thankfully most ph up is woefully diluted but still that had to hurt like hell. Lucky she didnt go blind or worse.

Glad you were there to save the day.

PpmOver9000

PpmOver9000

Jeeeez. Have had shitty experiences with it on my hands but can't imagine straight to the eyes. Nice quick on your feet man glad she's ok.

Frankster

Frankster

Never trust a doctor who's plants have died.
Supporter
Yea, she's lucky. Were talking about it now. I threw out the other droppers don't know how I'm gong to pH adjust anymore, but I will figure it out somehow, I usually have stickers or skulls dawn on everything, (in perma ink) but they get worn off over time, I didn't figure someone would actually go into my chemicals and then stick it in there eyes. fuck.

It really sucks when your memory is screwed and you can't remember anything after a few min, the world is a very confusing place. I don't blame her at all, it's just one of those things. But you've got to use some judgement, and if you have any doubts, ask around first, before shoving things into the orifices of your body.

Same eye she almost poked out 10 years ago stepping on a boot jack while getting out of bed, and had blood shooting 6 feet in the air, (torn artery) went into status epilepticus (seized for 30 min straight) and fractured her sinus. (almost died) She's lucky both times, and that eye has been though hell.

Last edited:
BudGoodman

BudGoodman

Supporter
Mryuk

Glad it sounds like she'll be okay.

Trustfall

Trustfall

Supporter
Ya maybe eat a few less brownies next time? I’m glad she is ok.
I keep all my grow stuff in a locked basement and the chemical stuff locked under the sink in the basement.🙂

Top Bottom