My Very First Grow, 3x3 Grow Tent w/ 315W CMH

• Thread starter XxHammer
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
growsince79

growsince79

Fresh bag soil has plenty of moisture, to germinate you need warmth and moisture. The main thing is to cover the container with a baggie or dome til the dicot forms or the soil dries too quickly.
The perlite I mix in is bone dry. Saturating the day before makes it perfect. I cover with a baggie but take it off after sprout. Buy then the tap root is deep enough it won't dry up. Imo cool white and warm white cfl are the best you can use for the first few weeks.

Madbud

Madbud

The perlite I mix in is bone dry. Saturating the day before makes it perfect. I cover with a baggie but take it off after sprout. Buy then the tap root is deep enough it won't dry up. Imo cool white and warm white cfl are the best you can use for the first few weeks.
Perlite is totally nonabsorbant, stays bone dry. Peat is absorbant and vermiculite is like a sponge for soil.

growsince79

growsince79

Perlite is totally nonabsorbant, stays bone dry. Peat is absorbant and vermiculite is like a sponge for soil.
Perlite is non absorbant but it does hold watrer on its surface. Weigh a cup of dry perlite then flood it to runoff and weigh it after it stops draining. Gravel does the same thing.

XxHammer

XxHammer

Here is a little update; Day 16 pictures. They will get another good watering tonight and then Transplanted on Saturday morning/afternoon into FFOF.

Rooting D16

Rooting D16a

Rooting D16b

XxHammer

XxHammer

Is this purple on the stems cause for concern?

Making me really want to transplant them sooner (like tonight lol). I think they need nutes. They are just in Seed Starter Mix.

ChesterCheeba

ChesterCheeba

Making me really want to transplant them sooner (like tonight lol). I think they need nutes. They are just in Seed Starter Mix.
Could be genetic, I have a few strains that run purple stems from seedling through flower.

Madbud

Madbud

They grow out of it, or it can be genetic. Later on it can be a nute deficiency but not as seedlings.

ImpulsiveGrower

ImpulsiveGrower

Supporter
No idea.

I did go get a few new pots for my pot. I settled on a 3.5 gal pot lol

I think I am going to do this tonight. I think the plants are ready.
The pictures make them look like a lime green like they need nutrients. Are you I straight coco or?? Size is great tho mine are a little behind but they have really picked up in the last day or so

XxHammer

XxHammer

Transplant Mykos

TransplantA
TransplantB

I went ahead and transplanted. They were definitely ready. I am very happy with the progress of the roots over the last 3-4 days. They were completely covering each pot square.

Well. Now lets just hope they survive the Transplant process.

I gave them a little water tonight but will give them a full saturation tomorrow.

SwoleGrow

SwoleGrow

Every time I’ve ran into the purple on the stalk like that it’s been because they’re hungry. I up their feed and it clears up.

XxHammer

XxHammer

They are not lime green, they are just under a CMH light haha
Every time I’ve ran into the purple on the stalk like that it’s been because they’re hungry. I up their feed and it clears up.

Yeah, I have a feeling they were hungry. That is why I went ahead and did the transplant into the FFOF tonight. I think they will benefit from the nutes now.

Madmax

Madmax

How close is the light..i get purpling under t5ho because i have the light 8' away and sometimes the the light buckles the leaves .the purpling eventually goes... i hang the 315 light between 35-42 .i do get a little tacoeing on leaf edges so thats why i dont hang it any lower...

XxHammer

XxHammer

How close is the light..i get purpling under t5ho because i have the light 8' away and sometimes the the light buckles the leaves .the purpling eventually goes... i hang the 315 light between 35-42 .i do get a little tacoeing on leaf edges so thats why i dont hang it any lower...

I have the light about 20'' away from the tops of the plants right now. I might need to back it off a few more inches, closer to 2ft.

Everything I am reading is very conflicting. Some things say to keep the light as close as 14'' and some say as much as 36''... but 18-20'' does seem to be a common height setting for CMH bulbs.

Last edited:
Madmax

Madmax

That setting might b okay for flowering but for veg its a little low.i think i was around 30k lux between 35-42...but dont quote me on that ..lol..i cant remember .getting old 😃

SwoleGrow

SwoleGrow

Yep, sounds about right.
I have the light about 20'' away from the tops of the plants right now. I might need to back it off a few more inches, closer to 2ft.

Everything I am reading is very conflicting. Some things say to keep the light as close as 14'' and some say as much as 36''... but 18-20'' does seem to be a common height setting for CMH bulbs.
Yeah I’ve found around 36” to be the sweet spot during veg, not necessarily because of the light burn but because of the node spacing. Super tight, growing on top of each other when it’s in the 2ft range. Flowering it’s a different story, I’m in week 4 and a few colas are 18” away and not showing any signs of stress(yet)

BigCube

BigCube

Yeah, these are the reasons I didn't like the CMH in a tent. With an 8' ceiling they work great, in a 6' tent... not so much.

XxHammer

XxHammer

Yeah, these are the reasons I didn't like the CMH in a tent. With an 8' ceiling they work great, in a 6' tent... not so much.

My Tent is 8 feet tall.

Yep, sounds about right.

Yeah I’ve found around 36” to be the sweet spot during veg, not necessarily because of the light burn but because of the node spacing. Super tight, growing on top of each other when it’s in the 2ft range. Flowering it’s a different story, I’m in week 4 and a few colas are 18” away and not showing any signs of stress(yet)

Could me keeping the light just 20'' away explain why my plants are so short? Only 3'' tall.

When I get home from work tonight I plan to give them their first full saturation watering since transplant and I will back the light off a little more closer to that 28''-30'' and see how the plants do with that.

Thanks for your help

Top Bottom