My very small 08' Outdoor

• Thread starter TurboGSR96
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
T

TurboGSR96

Whats up everybody, I had a nice lot of 8 plants growing outside this year but all fell to some pesky Deer and rodents that are all over the area that I grow at. All those plants were select high grade bag seed, seeds saved when I got lucky and found one in my smoke. The only plant I got left is only some decent "mid" smoke and is nothing special, but is growing a decent plant.

Using a basic mixture of 1/2 Miracle-Gro Moisture Control and 1/4 Perlite and 1/4 Vermiculite in around a 3 gallon bucket using water right out of the tap, which I am pretty sure is the culprit of my purple fan leave stems. I need to start using some nutes on it and some pH'd water, but I have not been able to find anything organic or chemical that is decent locally.

Plant popped out of its origional planter in the first week of August.

August 30, 2008 ( the origional top growth disappeared into the node and out popped a double headed top, I did not prune the top of this plant )

September 6, 2008

Today September 12, 2008

I cut some growth on the bottom and the plant responded by showing some nice trichs on some lower leaves

I have a feeling that I do not have enough time left in the summer for this plant to finish properly so I will probably be forced to get my indoor setup going to finish her..... I feel kind of attached to her :giggle

S

Skunkenstein

Lookin A-OK

iWOULD NOT NORMALLY reccomend 'chem' ferts..but you could use, say, Miracle grow 15-30-15 at 1teaspoon/gal of water.No more no less.It looks like you're 2 weeks into bud, with about 4-5 weeks left of decent budding..and a two week flush.so about, 6 more weeks, if you can hang in there.1tsp/gal of miracle grow is 33% of the recommended dose on the package..so you will not burn the plants.The purpling of the stems is totally normal..those look fine.You would normally add ferts every other watering during budding.Another tip..always water the plant with plain h2o first..then re-water with the fert. mixture.Dry roots get burnt easilly..Plus it's that whole osmotic plant pressure/reverse osmosis thingy we won't get into..haha.Just give the plants a good sip of water..and then alittle time to absorb the water...then give the Nutrients. Good luck!!

T

TurboGSR96

Thanks, I have been looking for some ferts that are high in P, all the Garden Centers and Walmarts etc around me only have like 10-10-10's and under for ferts. I just started using that the other day. For a while I was under watering this plant and I am pretty sure it stunted its growth, but the buds in the last week have really taken off.

It dont really get frosty around here until around Haloween time but if need be I can bring it inside at night and put it back out for another week or two to finish it.

S

Skunkenstein

Yeah at this stage of the game the plant is really needing a good solid fert program.A Local Japanese Master gardner once told me..''Plants don't care what they get their fertalizer from, as long as they get it'' ! You just have to be careful about the dosage.Any of the water soluble blooming ferts will be beneficial.You're probably to late to use any dry Granular type ferts because they will take too long to break down.Go with something water soluble. My rule of thumb for watering is 2-3 cups water per gallon of soil..i.e A five gallon container needs about a gallon of water.Then you can usually wait 2-3 days depending on the outside temps to water again.If you have till halloween before serious frost you should be able to finish ''No PROBLEM''. jUST look at you're budding process as an 8 week program on the calender, figure out you're start time and finish time..then during the last two weeks start giving water only.The plant will start to cannabalize all the nutrients stored in the leaves.You will notice the leaves turning yellow and falling off.This is what you want..esp if you like you're weed to taste like weed, instead of Hay!!

T

TurboGSR96

This is what you want..esp if you like you're weed to taste like weed, instead of Hay!!

Funny you mention the tasting of hay thing, I refer to it as barnyard smoke and I have a very expensive bag of it right now, and it truly sucks to smoke because if it was grown properly it would be killer, bag said Grape Fruit on it and it looks real good but just wreaks of hay and tastes like junk.

How do you know this plant is going to be ready after 8 weeks?

S

Skunkenstein

Back where we Started..

The taste's like junk and smells like hay, is pretty synonamous with commercially grown hydro or alot of soil grows that were'nt flushed properly.Over the years I have been growing half organic,half chem.I use a turbo charged organic soil for my veg mix.Then about 2weeks into Bud I will start adding liquid ferts..I've used fox farms,Botanicare,Age old organics,Alaska fish,Natures nector,ect.So far I have'nt really found the 'Holy Grail'..But I do have a pretty good system of mixing and matching individual ferts from different companies.Every year I BEND AND TWEAK my routine, so its always evolving.I could just look at you're plants and tell that they were just a couple weeks into bud, and most strains are 7-9 week finishers.Unless you've got some exotic sativa.Just remember..flush you're plants thoroughly at the end..let them hang to dry in a dark room about 70 degrees for..until their dry!! Then put the buds in Mason jars to cure..Open jars daily for a week or more..Once the buds are properly cured, they will not smell like hay any longer..!!!A good friend of mine does'nt even start smoking his buds until they have been cured..in the jar for 2 months!!

T

TurboGSR96

Cool thanks for the advice, I just got some NL#5 seeds ordered for my indoor, I firgured that was a good strain to start out with. I am looking at the FoxFarms Tri Pack with their Open Sesame, Beastie Bloomz and Cha Ching for my Nutes, I have only read good things about that company and their products.

Here is the lady just a few days later, she is filling in fast!

R

romulan

How do you keep the insects of off that plant ? Im growing in 3 gallon pots and my only emeny is the Tomato Horn worm. My first plant in the 3 gallon pot yeilded 4.07 oz dryed of Northern Lights x Haze. I am currently curing the harvest. But your plant looks amazingly insect free. What is the strain of the plant?

T

TurboGSR96

Dont know the strain, all my good stuff got ate about a month and a half ago and I was left with this little random bean ;)

I have some good beans en route from elsewhere as I am not even elgible to order from this site yet and my indoor setup is not ready so I am just playing around with this one plant for now. I keep urinating around the plant and I have my dog out with me taking dumps around it to try and protect it :giggle

I had ants and bettles when the plant was vegging, I used some Bone and Blood Meal with a dash of Fish Emulsion origionaly so that had something to do with it. About a week ago something tipped the plant over when I was at work and started to dig a hole in it, but other than that I guess I am just lucky.

S

Skunkenstein

Cheering you On..

Well I guess I'm here for the long haul..grow baby, grow.Good choice on the Northern Lights..I'm going with doc atomics selection myself..as well as several others..haha, it's a long list.Next year I want to do the Himalayan Gold outdoors..One of the guys over at IC has had great Early finishing times.. they really look like huge producers aswell.Hopefully there will be a decent smoke report !!

T

TurboGSR96

Here we are at about a little over 3 weeks flower, plant is just starting to smell. When I rub the leaves and smell my fingers I get a strong Lemon Gasoline smell :wondering

http://i43.invalid.com/albums/e363/TurboTeg96/Plant9-20006.jpg

She does not seem to be real sensitive, I gave her a double shot of Mir-Gro 10-30-10 and it didnt burn it at all :smirk

P

ProGroWannabe

Niiiiice! I'm surprised she took that double dose of MG! She sure looks good though. I'm cheerfully envious.

T

TurboGSR96

Thanks so am I, and the smell is crazy for some no-name bag seed :)

S

Skunkenstein

SweeeeT...

Just remember to observe the Leaf-Tips, if you see the very ends looking dry/brown you have gone to hot on ferts. Yours look really 'Good'.Plants like to have the right Amount at the right time.I think it's pretty cool that you can just look out you're window and check on your plants, thats gotta be nice!!

T

TurboGSR96

Yea its pretty cool, I am in the middle of no where. Wait until next year, I am scoping out some 10' tall strains..... I want to walk into a jungle next year :D

I am stumped, this plant smells just like a lemon. I had to bring my brother to it to get his sniffer test and he said the same thing.

G

GDS StonerBoy

Very nice turbo! I always tell folks for some reason the MG Moisture control soil is perfect for outdoor plants. They do very well and all they need is water! Next time if you can i say put them in a rubbermaid bin. It takes 2 of the big bags to fill one up but your plants will get huge and yield very well. I did c99 last year in a big tub like that and they were doing very well until i guess some deer found it and mowed it down. After the plant took that damage it recovered and soon after someone must've discovered the grow and knocked the plants all over.

Anyway though they were very huge, very beautiful bushes.

Great gro Turbo, good luck with the rest of the grow.

T

TurboGSR96

Thanks guys, I agree with you the MG Moisture is pretty good stuff. When you mix it 1/3 with Perlite and Vermiculite the soil is almost impossible to compress, its like sponge cake it just bounces right back.

Next year I probably will not be using pots, I have access to a Backhoe and I plan on digging up and tilling a nice 20' x 20' x 5' area and just do it that way. I can get 55lb bags of Perlite and Vermiculite locally and I will probably just fork out $200 or $300 bucks for the P & V but it will be worth it. I only have 1' of topsoil then its just bright orange gravely fill, I know the topsoil here is excellent and by the time I am done I should have a nice bed that hopefully I can repeatedly grow in. I got wiped out this year by animals but next year I will have a 12v car battery hooked up to an juiced fence, the Deer wont get me again :muscle

A

Abraxas

I am sure this will be better than the buds you found the seed in! Hopefully Lemon smell equals lemony taste too. You mentioned getting lucky, but there is always an element of luck in growing outdoors. Glad you got the pests awya from that lady. I like your enthusiasm for next year too :nod

S

Skunkenstein

Deer Attack..

I was out with my ladies tonight and the deer were everywhere..I'd like to see Em take a bite Now..They would be runnin around in circles with a Shit eating grin on their Faces..:D

Top Bottom