Mylar sheeting or white walls?

• Thread starter Spacecadet01
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

Spacecadet01

Id like to get some opinions on what people prefer. Does adding Silver film or Mylar really increase yield?

heres a link to a product that supposedly increases yield.

any one using this have any feedback?

SC

H

Hayze

I've always understood that white walls are the most cost effective vs yield. I don't think yield would increase enough to justify the price. IMHO.

T

thefabman

Premium Member
Supporter
Flat white is the most reflective i have heard.

T

TheMadHatter

Black and white plastic better known as panda plastic is what I've always used, and its not just for reflection Its a very useful product, depends what setup your useing but you can hose the walls off if need be when cleaning your room.

S

Spacecadet01

Black and white plastic better known as panda plastic is what I've always used, and its not just for reflection Its a very useful product, depends what setup your useing but you can hose the walls off if need be when cleaning your room.

I agree with you all..wanted to see if anyone out there was having great experiences with reflective sheeting..keep the comments coming..on either side of the question!

SC

A

addicted

I use 2mil Mylar on my walls..loveit. I have never used flat white paint so I can't really say it is the 'best'. I do tend to believe mylar would be more efficient due to it being rated at 97% reflectivity... But who knows???

I personally love walking into my space-age-looking cave that is completely blinding!!! BUT I would have to say white would 'appear' easier to clean, cause my OCD ass take forever to get all those streaks off my mylar.

BOSSMAN88188

BOSSMAN88188

I like the panda. It cleans real nice.and doesnt dull ass much as mylar.

Z

zoeronerer

what he says all the way ...mylar is goofy unless its free

Billygoat

Billygoat

Flat white walls. There has been some studies on it and like posted by someone else already. You get your best bang for your buck. I don't and won't use Mylar ever again. Pain in the ass and makes hots spots also.

So, much easier just painting all the walls and going to town. Just my 2-cents worth.
Good luck,
BG

S

Spacecadet01

thanks for all the input...I like the idea of reflective walls..but seems the ease of cleaning and keeping it simple..white poly is the way to go. Anyone have a link to that study dont on white walls please post it up!

D

dredidread

i always feel like suck a dummy trying to fuck with mylar. i hate that shit. all the times ive used it, ive quit now for a couple years, and dont even notice the difference. dont waste your time.

L

lurking_chap

I use A-gro diamond reflect sheet, I know lot of peeps prefering classical white sheeting. In my opinion reflect sheet is much better than any white painting or something, by the way it's just more expensive and I trust the sellers

E

easypleasie

I use reflective radiant barrier from lowes in 3 of my rooms ( clone, veg and flower). The rooms "appear" to be brighter but without a light meter, I can't do a comparison. I've used mylar and won't use it again. Too much of a pain in the ass. Dulls too easy. The radiant barrier needs to be cleaned occasionally but won't dull out like the mylar. Just use spray glue to apply the barrier to your walls. Works good to reflect heat from reservoirs and tubing, too. Make sure not to have ANY air spaces between the walls and the barrier. It will heat up and moisture can form behind it. About $50 for a 25' x 4' roll at Lowes. You can get it much cheaper online if you look around. My original purpose for getting it was for peace of mind with FLIR. Honestly, not sure if it works for that or not. My room is completely lined and sealed to prevent heat signatures. Of course, lining the entire room increased the temps a bit. If you're already having heat issues, adding mylar or radiant barrier could make it worse. The simplest way is paint. Nothing wrong with it at all. My new flower room is painted with white exterior elastomeric paint. It's really thick and easy to apply. Seals up spaces and cracks if you have them. The paint itself doesn't look like it's super bright white so i'm gonna look into what JK uses.

S

Spacecadet01

I use reflective radiant barrier from lowes in 3 of my rooms ( clone, veg and flower). The rooms "appear" to be brighter but without a light meter, I can't do a comparison. I've used mylar and won't use it again. Too much of a pain in the ass. Dulls too easy. The radiant barrier needs to be cleaned occasionally but won't dull out like the mylar. Just use spray glue to apply the barrier to your walls. Works good to reflect heat from reservoirs and tubing, too. Make sure not to have ANY air spaces between the walls and the barrier. It will heat up and moisture can form behind it. About $50 for a 25' x 4' roll at Lowes. You can get it much cheaper online if you look around. My original purpose for getting it was for peace of mind with FLIR. Honestly, not sure if it works for that or not. My room is completely lined and sealed to prevent heat signatures. Of course, lining the entire room increased the temps a bit. If you're already having heat issues, adding mylar or radiant barrier could make it worse. The simplest way is paint. Nothing wrong with it at all. My new flower room is painted with white exterior elastomeric paint. It's really thick and easy to apply. Seals up spaces and cracks if you have them. The paint itself doesn't look like it's super bright white so i'm gonna look into what JK uses.

thanks for the comments...anyone else have .02 chime in.

SC

G

GreenShadows

I've experimented with clones and plain white vs mylar. I have to say the mylar impressed me.

One option that comes to mind is buy some heavy duty plastic sheeting and then stable some thin mylar (which will be cheap) to the plastic sheeting.

H

heeznutz

I use mylar but once I run out I'm switching to panda cloth/plastic/sheeting , mylar dulls an is a pain to clean.

S

snowkitty

I used to have white walls but now I have white plastic and I have to say that it is much easier to work with the plastic. I didn't pick the plastic for yield as much as I like how easy it is to keep the plastic clean. I have a small room with a big veg tank in it and I used to worry about mold before I had the plastic up.

Top Bottom