Name that defeciency?

• Thread starter KING_KONG_KOLAS
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
K

KING_KONG_KOLAS

Lets play name that deficiency.. and dont just start calling out shit you know nothing about.. No rookies allowed..lol..

Here goes.. These are pic. of older fan leaves I snapped from some trees outdoors.. All other leaves on tree are green an healthy.. Im pretty positive I know whats going on.. I have seen this before with previous outdoor grows.. And was able to fix the prob.. Just wanted to see what the seasoned heads had to say?
http://i166.invalid.com/albums/u117/KINGKONGKENNEL_2007/DSCF2497.jpg

M

moejammin

I hardly post but im no rookie looks like the latter stages of manganese deficiency.

M

moejammin

A quick fix would be foliar feeding with some sort of sea kelp, or better yet kelp and a good fish based product like Alaskan Morbloom or Biobizz has some amazing hydrolized fish and molasses product called Fish Mix.

D

DoubleDub

looks pretty similar to me...

early_blight_spots_l.jpg

EarlyBlight.jpg

potatoearlyblightcloseup_pdc.jpg

http://t0.invalid.com/images?q=tbn:74dA18FJ3cqy0M:http://www.extension.umn.edu/yardandgarden/YGLNews/images/potatoearlyblight-pdc.jpg&t=1

regardless I had this same thing on my hydro plants which are fed every single nutrient they need to live at the correct ph and temperature. It wasnt hard to rule out deficiencies... a heavy does of quantum growth light both foliar fed and fed through their water cured my plants in 24 hours...

Tobor the 8th Man

Tobor the 8th Man

Supporter
Time to start the flowering ferts. A week ago I gave mine some manure tea, MG Bloom ferts 15-30-15 and some epsom salts for a calcium/mag boost. They are in a transition phase now. They want some more phosphorus, potassium, cal/mag and manganese. That is what I think is happening. There is not anything really bad going on. That plant just absorbed what it wanted from the older fan leaves.

I like using things like MG or Peters fertilizer mixes because they have manganese, some iron and other stuff. Transition time where they are getting ready to trigger and start flowering is a time where you can really help your yield and overall plant health for late flowering.

The plant isn't starving as evidenced by you saying it is otherwise green. This is like a pregnant female with a craving. I think the craving is for K-P and manganese and good old MG or some manure tea can give her what she wants.

K

KING_KONG_KOLAS

Time to start the flowering ferts. A week ago I gave mine some manure tea, MG Bloom ferts 15-30-15 and some epsom salts for a calcium/mag boost. They are in a transition phase now. They want some more phosphorus, potassium, cal/mag and manganese. That is what I think is happening. There is not anything really bad going on. That plant just absorbed what it wanted from the older fan leaves.

I like using things like MG or Peters fertilizer mixes because they have manganese, some iron and other stuff. Transition time where they are getting ready to trigger and start flowering is a time where you can really help your yield and overall plant health for late flowering.

The plant isn't starving as evidenced by you saying it is otherwise green. This is like a pregnant female with a craving. I think the craving is for K-P and manganese and good old MG or some manure tea can give her what she wants.

Ding Ding Ding... We have a winner.. with a real explanation for his answer!! You have just won a million dollars!! lol..j/k.. But this is definatly along the lines of a answer I was looking for.. Thanks Tabor.. speak on brother.. you are full of wisdom my friend..:party0023:

And everyone else thats chimed in.. cal/mag def... is great answer.. for once a real case that needed a boost..lol.. Thanks fellas..:rastadancing:

F

farmerjohn

Peter's is the poor man's answer to every problem! Seriously, with the quality of their products, I sometimes wonder why so much gets spent on over hawked products directly aimed @ the pot growers. Bloom Buster is the absolute shits, by the way!
Others were correct too. It's not a big problem, but 8th, being the shrewd grower he is, instantly thought of overall yield! Bingo! Break out the flowering ferts! Nice job, Tabor.

Blucross

Blucross

Good Quiz King Kong. I'm far from being rookie and I once saw this symbtom on a plant that was potted, hid in bush and brought to flower, I never did get it healthy.
But I learn quick and there will be a next time..
Respectfully
Blucross

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
hmmm that doesn't look like a deficiency at all... looks like some form of fungal disease me.
possibly early blight????

http://www.planetnatural.com/site/xdpy/kb/early-blight.html

use quantum growth!
Septoria spp, also called black spot disease. Seen it, dealt with it. Different species affect leaves in slightly different ways, but they all have some things in common. Those commonalities are; formation of necrotic spots on lower leaves, lower leaves yellowing and dying with yellowing working its way up the plant. Vector is always the same--splashing water from the ground onto the plant. Control is the same--anti-fungals (I used Kop-R-Safe @ double strength to eradicate), removal of ALL affected leaf material, prevent any splashing of water from ground onto plants.

King Kong, you've dealt with the vectors, yes?

I am very incredulous that this is a deficiency alone.

CRW 6225 1200
Tobor the 8th Man

Tobor the 8th Man

Supporter
That is what happens to leaves when they die outside. It isn't like in a grow room. It is cool, foggy, moist with condensation and polluted with fungal spores outside. The plant used them up and mother nature claimed them. This is why it is important to pick off your dead, used up leaves in an outdoor grow, especially at the start and during flowering.

If your cat dies inside and you don't find him for 3 days you find a dead stiff cat with a little smell under the bed. If he dies outside and you find him in 2 days he is maggot infested, mushy, partially gone and stinks to high heaven. Same with dead leaves on a plant.

It isn't a deficiency right now. It might not even be a "nutrient craving". Plants loose leaves during a grow. Maybe that got a bit dry or whatever. The rest of the plant is healthy. So to eliminate the doubt and since it is that time of year you give them some flowering ferts and maybe some cal/mag to cover your bases and get them ready to flower.

Every outdoor grow I have ever done the yellow leaves got crappy looking if left on. They will turn to a brown mush if left hanging and then the dreaded grey mold will set up camp on them and spread to the flower buds.

Pick them off and give them some flower ferts. You need to help them in their transition phase anyways. Think of it as a reminder post-it-note to feed them for transition.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Are you referring to my photo, or to KK's photo? I can explain in more detail how I determined my problem was Septoria, if needed.

Tobor the 8th Man

Tobor the 8th Man

Supporter
I was referring to KK's. Was yours outside, bigger older leaves that yellowed some first and then got degraded and the rest of the plant was healthy it would be the same. If they got sickly and spotted while green and it involved leaves all over the plant than that would be a different problem.

I have seen black spot disease before. It usually starts by infecting leaves in the same area big and small. Plants with black spot look bare and straggly during late summer or early fall and the other plants look normal. It will flower but the flowers hardly develop and get discolored.

I am sure it can look different from case to case and plant species to plant species. So I don't doubt your assessment. If a person thinks they have black spot, even if they are wrong about the exact one it is still probably another fungus. So when they treat for black spot it knocks out the fungus they have.

Yours just doesn't look like black spot disease to me. They have some black spots the size of a pencil eraser in the green and then yellows around them while half or more of the leaf can still be green. Then the whole leaf can yellow.

If you have a 6 foot pot plant the lower leaves are going to be 3 feet off the ground. It is hard to get splashed. A person should be pruning lower growth and all surrounding vegetation under their plant anyways to keep air circulating.

Why do you think you had black spot disease?

Mud Man

Mud Man

Septoria spp, also called black spot disease. Seen it, dealt with it. Different species affect leaves in slightly different ways, but they all have some things in common. Those commonalities are; formation of necrotic spots on lower leaves, lower leaves yellowing and dying with yellowing working its way up the plant. Vector is always the same--splashing water from the ground onto the plant. Control is the same--anti-fungals (I used Kop-R-Safe @ double strength to eradicate), removal of ALL affected leaf material, prevent any splashing of water from ground onto plants.

King Kong, you've dealt with the vectors, yes?

I am very incredulous that this is a deficiency alone.

superb info man! K+

xX Kid Twist Xx

xX Kid Twist Xx

Premium Member
Supporter
I don't know why people are scared of cal-mag anyways. calcium facilitates the uptake of phosphorus and you need magnesium for photosynthesis. anytime you don't have a balance between these 3 you will see a deficiency of one of them accur. when the plant needs calcium you will see rust spots on your leaves or in some cases i will get half purple stems on the leaves from midway to the top soon as i feed cal-mag the new growth has green stems on the leaf stems. if it needs magnesium you will get the green out lines with the faded center and more extreme cases you will get crispy sides on the leaves.

if you haven't supplemented the soil with lime feed them cal-mag by now your plants can use it. giving them it will not hurt them only help them. if you want bigger buds and happier plants use cal-mag. out doors calcium is critical as it well to help build stronger stems, it is mainly found embedded in cell walls. it also helps with the flexibility of the plant.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I was referring to KK's. Was yours outside, bigger older leaves that yellowed some first and then got degraded and the rest of the plant was healthy it would be the same. If they got sickly and spotted while green and it involved leaves all over the plant than that would be a different problem.

I have seen black spot disease before. It usually starts by infecting leaves in the same area big and small. Plants with black spot look bare and straggly during late summer or early fall and the other plants look normal. It will flower but the flowers hardly develop and get discolored.

I am sure it can look different from case to case and plant species to plant species. So I don't doubt your assessment. If a person thinks they have black spot, even if they are wrong about the exact one it is still probably another fungus. So when they treat for black spot it knocks out the fungus they have.

Yours just doesn't look like black spot disease to me. They have some black spots the size of a pencil eraser in the green and then yellows around them while half or more of the leaf can still be green. Then the whole leaf can yellow.

If you have a 6 foot pot plant the lower leaves are going to be 3 feet off the ground. It is hard to get splashed. A person should be pruning lower growth and all surrounding vegetation under their plant anyways to keep air circulating.

Why do you think you had black spot disease?
I am fairly certain, even though its initial presentation was so odd, for several reasons. But as I followed the progression of symptoms, I kept coming back to some species of Septoria.

Indoor grown plant, cut gifted to me from someone in Cali's delta, which is an area that's been farmed hard and has lots and lots of different diseases going on. Started with the lower leaves yellowing with the spots staying green. Eventually (like after several weeks) it became the classic necrotic spotting of lowers, working its way up the plant and eventually defoliating.

I spent a long time trying to fix deficiency after deficiency, consulting grower after grower and getting nowhere, all the while the symptom profile never changed, which to me is another indicator that I had a different problem going on. It wasn't until I began a regimen of Kop-R-Safe (which was after spending a lot of time on a bunch of ag/edu sites) that it began to abate, and it wasn't until I doubled the dosage rate (not against label instrux) that I finally eradicated it.

I can't tell you exactly what species of Septoria this cut came with, but I feel I nailed it closely enough to call it. I haven't found another group of funguses (fungi?) that so closely match the general disease progression, that's why I generalize as a Septoria spp.

Latest posts

Top Bottom