Nanners! Should I cut now

• Thread starter Kleinstein
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Kleinstein

Kleinstein

So thankfully a few members with good eyes spotted nanners on some sample nugs I harvested from a lower branch. I went back and found that they are sprouting up all over! Top colas seem fine. It was a healthy plant up until 8 weeks flower. Then I thought it was showing nitrogen toxicity so I flushed it like a mofo. Also did some light interruptions and Uber low humidity to try and push trichomes. A few days later I had to go to Florida for a week and a buddy took care of my girls. Got back and all fan leaves in this plant had died. Other plant is going strong. Anyway, I’m at 11 weeks Thursday. Trichomes are a mix. Finding a lot of cloudy ones. A lot of clear ones. And a few amber ones. A lot of them on the outside don’t even have heads so idk what that’s all about. A few minutes ago I found one yellow seed growing atop a lower mug too! Should I go ahead and chop? Don’t want to ruin my other gals even though they are all about ready. Wondering if trichomes on this one will ever go fully cloudy!

Nanners should i cut now
Nanners should i cut now 2
Nanners should i cut now 3
Nanners should i cut now 4
Nanners should i cut now 5
Nanners should i cut now 6
Nanners should i cut now 7
Nanners should i cut now 8
Nanners should i cut now 9
Nanners should i cut now 10
Nanners should i cut now 11
Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
I'd say they are ready to come down, based on the nipples that are starting to grow in the tips of tour colas. This, combined with yellowing leaves tells me that it is time. Of course, this is my opinion, there might be more experienced growers that can tell for certain.
Nanners belong in cereal, not buds!

PlumberSoCal

PlumberSoCal

I'd say they are ready to come down, based on the nipples that are starting to grow in the tips of tour colas. This, combined with yellowing leaves tells me that it is time. Of course, this is my opinion, there might be more experienced growers that can tell for certain.
Cereal and bread!😉

PlumberSoCal

PlumberSoCal

I would save and plant any seeds. Had one 2 yrs ago and wish I had kept seeds. Mine was a full blown hermie, full flowers and balls, no nanners. Of course if the resulting plants also hermied I'd destroy the whole lot, but I'd give it a try, outside.

Kleinstein

Kleinstein

Thanks. Will the seeds mature on their own after I chop? The only one I found so far was completely yellow

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
Once the plant is cut down, no additional growing happens, so any seeds that are immature won't turn into a viable seed. Any fertile seeds will be ok and when the buds are dried, they can be easily removed. I'd recommend letting them dry as seeds can be soft until the buds dry out. They harden and get in the state we are used to seeing once they dry out.

Kleinstein

Kleinstein

One more question. One of my other plants has massive cakey smelling colas and the trichomes are now almost completely white. However, unlike my other plants nearing finish, the pistils on it are still everywhere, white and whispy. It has red hairs, but the majority are white still. It’s also at 11 weeks. I’ve seen a few Amber trichomes too. Is it common for some strains to have pistils that stay very white even when finished? See below

112D28D3 4C71 4048 8910 934CA4DB7D66
A4568A24 627D 4EB0 812E E2FD472F9C92
76EE8F00 6ED3 4396 8F6C 4138248DDFD3
C99A158B 9416 4174 83C2 52177983B670
63BC6C3E F00C 4B11 9DFA C8CB5E88D25F
30783724 ED73 4E62 8023 E9055B463F4B
E2BD42C3 B9F3 40E8 96E3 241076B99F87
568AC142 AAF5 4D18 BC60 8ADFC370B13E
Seraphine

Seraphine

Are you looking at trichomes on the sugar leaves or calyxes? I’d wait until more pistils turn amber. The plant overall will look like it’s starting to die. The fan leaves and sugar leaves will fade (think fall colors). That plant looks like it still has 2 weeks left. However, I’d start flushing it. Looks like you still have a lot of N in the leaves still.

Seraphine

Seraphine

Are you looking at trichomes on the sugar leaves or calyxes? I’d wait until more pistils turn amber. The plant overall will look like it’s starting to die. The fan leaves and sugar leaves will fade (think fall colors). That plant looks like it still has 2 weeks left

What’s the breeder and strain?

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
IMO I would pluck the nanners off and keep it flowering if it’s not done.

+1. I’ve done this for years with no ill effects. Some will do this late in flower and produce no viable pollen. If it happens early in flower then you’ve got issues and in my experience chopping them down will save you hassle and keep the pollen from spreading through the entire room.

Kleinstein

Kleinstein

Are you looking at trichomes on the sugar leaves or calyxes? I’d wait until more pistils turn amber. The plant overall will look like it’s starting to die. The fan leaves and sugar leaves will fade (think fall colors). That plant looks like it still has 2 weeks left. However, I’d start flushing it. Looks like you still have a lot of N in the leaves still.
I’m looking at the calyxes. I’ve even bent a cola a little to look deeper inside. Same thing. Mostly white.

Kleinstein

Kleinstein

What’s the breeder and strain?
Haha. Well, the breeder is an old hippie guy who supplies my buddy. Lol. He’s been growing since the seventies and I’ve only heard rave reviews from friends. He gave me a mix of seeds in a trade for high CBD low THC lifter and Suver Haze seeds I have from Oregon seed company. He told me he put in Afghani, OG Kush, and Sour Diesel mostly. Said he threw in a blueberry that he’d crossed w something too. So, I don’t have a clue. It was kind of a last minute thing where I decided to not go with just afghani and I got them all mixed up. He said I’d know when they flowered and smoked em. But, I don’t have the slightest idea. I’m pretty sure the afghani is the one I posted first in this thread. It reminds me of afghani I’ve had in the past (a personal fav). This one was def an indica and it smells sweet like a birthday cake with a hint of citrus. It smells amazing 😉

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
In my experience, some strains, especially Grandaddy Purple, had pistils on it from seedling to fully grown 6 months later. Some strains seem to do it, some don't. Too much nitrogen can sometimes cause dark green leaves and extended pistil production as well, instead of the gradual fade as the nutrients are used up.

Kleinstein

Kleinstein

In my experience, some strains, especially Grandaddy Purple, had pistils on it from seedling to fully grown 6 months later. Some strains seem to do it, some don't. Too much nitrogen can sometimes cause dark green leaves and extended pistil production as well, instead of the gradual fade as the nutrients are used up.
Great info! Thanks. I was getting a little concerned. Also, the other plant (with the nanners ) that looks totally ripe and has lost all fan leaves has way more clear trichomes. Even at 11 weeks! Should I just keep it going or is it possible that it has gotten too unhealthy to fully ripen all trichomes? Can it stay alive with no fan leaves?

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
Sativas grow differently than indicas and the signs for being finished can be vague. I don't follow the Trichome schedule and prefer to let the plant finish fully. At the end, bud growth gets spindly at the tips of the biggest buds, almost like a nipple growing out of the tip. A lot of leaves fall off and I start seeing single lobed leaves at the bud tips. This is generally what I look for, at least with Sativas

Top Bottom