Nearly cut my electric bill in half with new meter!!!!

• Thread starter growhard
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
G

growhard

I feel like such an idiot for burning so much money every month, while I was being too obsessed with improving my techniques, I sometimes overlook other ways to be more efficient.
I just ordered a "Time of Use Meter" to be installed on my property. I am shutting down my flip system and will purchase more ballasts.... because my rates from 8pm to 10 am will go from a (mostly) tier three rate of $0.07 - $0.12/Kwh (high and low seasons) to a range of $0.046 - $0.05045!!! You do the math...

Edison also has a similar program.
The only downside is that it takes 30-60 to install and you have to sign a 12 month agreement... no biggie.
Hope this helps some fellow peeps!

Nobodynobody

Nobodynobody

IDK if i realy want the power comp to know exacaly how much and how long i am pulling power. does not sound good for that point of view.

LBH

LBH

All I know is those fuckers better send me a Christmas card this year......

Good looking out GH, I never even considered that the day is broken into different rates. I need to check, I have my lights on during the day, 7a-7p might need to reverse that.

B

bigtrees

saving that $1000.00 sounds like you'll get picked first for that surprise knock...

LBH

LBH

They can knock over here if they want, full legal.

Speaking of,...good luck to Cali today!!!!!

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Thanks, LBH. I'll probably be voting down almost every proposition out there, there's one on redistricting (seems like EVERY election we're redistricting) and another on what type of majority vote is needed to pass the budget that I'm still on the fence about.

And then we have our candidates, oy.
:hunter:
IDK if i realy want the power comp to know exacaly how much and how long i am pulling power. does not sound good for that point of view.
LMAO! Really? How do they bill you, then?

I've been trying to find a program for California PG&E customers, but the only places where I can find the they offer this Time of Use program is in Oregon.

Good work by LADWP.
saving that $1000.00 sounds like you'll get picked first for that surprise knock...
LADWP is the Los Angeles Department of Water and Power, meaning that this person is in a legal state, likely growing legally. Not to mention that they're probably policed by LAPD, who likely has much better things to do than knock on people's doors for power usage. I mean, hell, just policing Silver Lake keeps 'em busy enough, nevermind the rest of the area.

I disagree, he'll be fine.

opt1c

opt1c

i got a boy who works at pg&e who told me i can request a 7/7 program in cali for residential customers; basically its cheaper rates from 7pm to 7am.... i'll look into it; something i think u have to call and ask pg&e about as opposed to signing up on the website

F

frostedlove

I always thought you did not have to ask for anything to change. I always thought electricity was cheaper at night then day time. So I am right but you have to ask for it????? So then is it all the same price all the time untill I ask for meter.???

Want to know some more info for sure

thanks for sharing

leadsled

leadsled

GrowRU
I did not find a huge difference in cost in my area with pg&e. for pg&e you have to ask for a different plan. There is a baseline vs time of use plan in california.

Where I am it is a .2c kwh difference between time of use or a peak plan, not a huge difference, but can make a little bit of a difference. small difference but not 50% less. I wish. :)

Google Electric Time-of-Use Energy Bill

You will see a pg&e explanation of a bill.

Best way to save is to get an increased baseline allowance for medical reasons. (for residential) I.E. You need it to run medical equipment for your condition. pg&e has paperwork and you need it signed off by a doctor. C.a.r.e. plan will help if you are low income.

F

frostedlove

I did not find a huge difference in cost in my area with pg&e. for pg&e you have to ask for a different plan. There is a baseline vs time of use plan in california.

Where I am it is a .2c kwh difference between time of use or a peak plan, not a huge difference, but can make a little bit of a difference. small difference but not 50% less. I wish. :)

Google Electric Time-of-Use Energy Bill

You will see a pg&e explanation of a bill.

Best way to save is to get an increased baseline allowance for medical reasons. (for residential) I.E. You need it to run medical equipment for your condition. pg&e has paperwork and you need it signed off by a doctor. C.a.r.e. plan will help if you are low income.

care will get ya for high usage unless you get tons of medical stuff. I have heard care attendents wanting to come look over house because of high usage..So thats not a great deal.. To many ifs cause of high use, but if you have tiny closet grow you will be fine.

then again closet weed dont cost nothing, so why bother

LBH

LBH

Great to know, thanks.

Skunkmasterflex

Skunkmasterflex

Premium Member
Supporter
my bill went from 620 to 380 last month because of the new meter. they can knock, doesnt mean i even have to answer! im full legal and they can ask all they want. plus you cant get a search warrant issued on fact of a electric bill just like they cant get a warrant for using choppers to fly over your house and use there IR reading as evidence. if you grow and live in the US you should be well educated on all the laws about what law enforcement can even get away with. plus if they go against laws, just sue the living fuck outta them and you win in the end anyways

opt1c

opt1c

just cuz your medical condition prevents you from getting a job and thus allowing you to qualify for care is no reason to not have a high power bill; i've gotten up to 900 off a cycle with the care discount.. just file tax returns every year and properly document your low income and you'll be fine; they will want to see proof of your low income but i've never had anyone come to my house or want to look inside it; just a pink envelope in the mail

squarepusher

squarepusher

yeah, running at night time actually helps them a lot too, so I don't think you are pissing anyone off. People gnerally dont use much electricity at night, so its fine to use it then.

Illmind

Illmind

Good thread ya old electrical components lose their pf through saturation.

B

Bobby Smith

yeah, running at night time actually helps them a lot too, so I don't think you are pissing anyone off. People gnerally dont use much electricity at night, so its fine to use it then.

This is why it makes sense even for us illegal growers to grow at night.

When the HVAC guy was fixing my central air this summer, he explained that when it's 100F out and everyone is using tons of power, you're not actually getting the 220V that you're paying for from the electric company, and that you can actually be getting closer to 200 (or even less) - however, you're still charged for the entire 220V.

That's why running your equipment at night when you're more likely to "get your money's worth" in terms of voltage (as well as lessening your cooling needs) makes sense in any state.

The only real downside is FLIR, so give that some thought if you're doing big illegal things.

homebrew420

homebrew420

Bobby Your HVAC guy was mistaken. I have never seen that kind of voltage lose. 3 maybe 5V never anything that would be 10% That can cause equipment failure over time. I wish we had these types of programs where we live. Rates are not bad though

B

Bobby Smith

Bobby Your HVAC guy was mistaken. I have never seen that kind of voltage lose. 3 maybe 5V never anything that would be 10% That can cause equipment failure over time. I wish we had these types of programs where we live. Rates are not bad though

I can't speak to him being correct or not, but whatever part blew out on my central AC he said was the third or fourth that he'd fixed that day (August was the hottest month on record in my part of the woods), and he claimed it was because the power company could not keep up and he guessed the voltage was coming in somewhere around 200.

So he said that's what caused the equipment failures that he'd seen in the area.

G

growhard

Everything I do is legal. It is totally in accordance with CA state laws and I work closely with a lawyer who keeps his eye on any changes in the law that may affect me. Now that we have that out of the way...
On a normal meter you are charged in tiered rates, which I blow through in the first week of every month, so the vast majority of my grow is at the highest rate. Normal meters cannot record when your usage is during the day or night. The new meter has three sub meters for the three durations of different charge rates. From 1-5pm, the charge is actually slightly higher than normal.
Here is what you must understand, legal or illegal:
We are the star customers of any electric company. What utility company will give up a golden goose? Just be quiet, pay your bills on time and they will love you...
The 'Green Rush' is benefiting many more sectors of industry than just dispensaries, growers and hydro shops.
SkunkMasterFlex... good to hear it's working out for you. I was starting to think I was the only one who didn't know about this.
For anyone that is still sqeamish, try putting $200k in solar and wind mills around your place and see what kind of attention that gets you....lol

Latest posts

Top Bottom