Need a basic breakdown on this rockwool watering chart.

• Thread starter CRTFD
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
CRTFD

CRTFD

E620F8CD-6C63-4592-B595-E8DE64CB8FE8.png

So from my understanding I know the first feeding starts 2 hours after lights on. I have read that 100ml is what the plants need in 6x6 cube, is that each shot or is 100ml needed total on a daily basis?

Last edited:
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

View attachment 1174882
So from my understanding I know the first feeding starts 2 hours after lights on. I have read that 100ml is what the plants need in 6x6 cube, is that each shot or is 100ml needed total on a daily basis?
At 100ml I'm about 99% sure that would be for each event. No way could I see that being daily andwelcome to the farm sir 👍

Dub_City405

Dub_City405

One of my grows I use nothing buy Rockwool. As far as feeding chart. I feed 150 plants about 30 gallons and trash the run off.

a4twenty

a4twenty

gonna depend on a few factors like, size of plants, room conditions, what your cubes are in etc.. etc...

as long as you have good drainage its darn near impossible to overwater rockwool during an event as the excess water just runs right through. on the other hand, if you don't give enough volume you can end up with a nutrient build up in the cube.

seedlings would probably be fine with 100ml a day or even every other day. as the plant grows twice a day then 3 times etc. the plants will tell you as you gain experience.

i don't water too near lights out as i dont want the roots sitting in soaked rockwool while the lights are out.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

gonna depend on a few factors like, size of plants, room conditions, what your cubes are in etc.. etc...

as long as you have good drainage its darn near impossible to overwater rockwool during an event as the excess water just runs right through. on the other hand, if you don't give enough volume you can end up with a nutrient build up in the cube.

seedlings would probably be fine with 100ml a day or even every other day. as the plant grows twice a day then 3 times etc. the plants will tell you as you gain experience.

i don't water too near lights out as i dont want the roots sitting in soaked rockwool while the lights are out.
Idk RW holds about 80% of its volume in water. So I'd say you can over water them of you water to frequently or have a cold rootzone that slows uptake. I know the RW starters are easily over watered for seedling and clones.

I haven't grown in RW but it holds about 20% more water then equal parts of coco. For somereason I think it's about 45-65% WC for RW the sweet spot to hover around?

Been doing some learning on it though as one day hopefully sooner than later I will be

a4twenty

a4twenty

So I'd say you can over water them of you water to frequently or have a cold rootzone that slows uptake
100%, that's why i said during a watering event, meaning one watering.

watering too frequently or too much for plant size or too close to lights out can definitely lead to issues but an established plant can easily handle fully soaking the cube.

think of ebb and flow, the table is flooded often more than once a day once you get rolling. as the water level drops in the tray air is pulled into the top of cube controlling the water content. same as top watering or drip, as the water flows through the cube air is dragged through with it. many also put an air stone in the reservoir.

mistakes can definitely be made watering too frequently just like in soil or other media but trying maintaining the water to air ratio inside the cube IMO is time better spent elsewhere.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

100%, that's why i said during a watering event, meaning one watering.

watering too frequently or too much for plant size or too close to lights out can definitely lead to issues but an established plant can easily handle fully soaking the cube.

think of ebb and flow, the table is flooded often more than once a day once you get rolling. as the water level drops in the tray air is pulled into the top of cube controlling the water content. same as top watering or drip, as the water flows through the cube air is dragged through with it. many also put an air stone in the reservoir.

mistakes can definitely be made watering too frequently just like in soil or other media but trying maintaining the water to air ratio inside the cube IMO is time better spent elsewhere.
The more I read up on and study RW the more I can't help but feel like coco maybe a better choice.... for me atleast. I think coco is a bit more foolproof not that RW is any worse just takes a bit more attention to detail and knowhow if I have things straight in my head.

Of course the one huge benefit to RW is the fact you don't have to buy or fill pots and even transplanting from clone is way faster and easier... not that it hard in coco just.... you know digging that 2" deep whole and all adds up if you doing SoG or high plant counts.

Still looking forward to doing it for my own knowledge though. That and aerponics.

I'm going to avoid the f&d and bottom feed stuff though. Just seems to me it add more challenges than benefits but definitely works.

CRTFD

CRTFD

Thank you for the warm welcome guys! I appreciate the super informative input! Just to be clear, each spike in the graph through p2 would indicate each feeding?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

@a4twenty could probably answer that better than myself but I'd caution goin by a chart. Those I belive are used with sensors so it's foolproof. They are good for a guideline but imo always learn to read your plants.

I would also get used to the feel by weight. Since it can literally tell you the exact WC of the blocks.

a4twenty

a4twenty

agree completely, there's no one size fits all, so many variables.... the environment, strain, watering method, plants uptake, etc

as aqua man said you learn to read the plant by weight and visual cues but also testing. i keep a spreadsheet on my phone of the parameters of what i water with, what runs off and what's right at the roots, sometimes at different times, then adjust accordingly.

I've never seen the chart before but don't think those blips each indicate a watering. at the bottom it says start, drain, stop. I may be misreading it but i looks like one watering event, can you post a link the the webpage you got it from?

CRTFD

CRTFD

agree completely, there's no one size fits all, so many variables.... the environment, strain, watering method, plants uptake, etc

as aqua man said you learn to read the plant by weight and visual cues but also testing. i keep a spreadsheet on my phone of the parameters of what i water with, what runs off and what's right at the roots, sometimes at different times, then adjust accordingly.

I've never seen the chart before but don't think those blips each indicate a watering. at the bottom it says start, drain, stop. I may be misreading it but i looks like one watering event, can you post a link the the webpage you got it from?
Yes that’s exactly what I was thinking, was hoping somebody who is familiar with the chart would be able to elaborate. But here’s the original thread that I found through a google search

a4twenty

a4twenty

the answers you're looking for are in the post with the chart and his subsequent post.

yes, those blips are 100ml shots of water and nutes.

Interesting but maybe a little overkill for the DIY. there's also a lot of other good info in that thread

Anthem

Anthem

View attachment 1174882
P1, P2 and P3 are common terms used in the Aroya software system. Is this a screen shot form the software?

tobh

tobh

Supporter
heyo, same question i had as I'm ramping up for a unislab run and finally doing actual deep research into crop steering and RW best practices. That graph was super informative, albeit totally specific to that particular grow. I anticipate a learning curve in figuring out exactly what the correct fertigation cycles/durations will be. It's a shame not many post their schedules on threads so finding a baseline seems to be the most difficult thing for say the first two - three weeks of veg as the plants get established. Once the plants are in generational phase, there's much more info available.

Top Bottom