Need a lil advice for a long time grower but first time using coco medium. Promix.

• Thread starter Masonsdad15
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Masonsdad15

Masonsdad15

For reasons I'd rather not explain I decided to use up a decent stock of promix coco that was left on my property by a previous grower. Normally I use 4x4x4 growdan cubes that I then transplant to a 1 gallon pot and I use growdan croutons or "loose" small cubes as the medium to fill the 1gal pot with the 4x4x4 placed on top. I get great veg growth with ease. Lush and thick stemed plants never having any issues other than over or under watering caused by my own error.
But I have decided to use up this promix using it as a replacement for the croutons I use during the transplant to 1gallon pots. You follow. So it goes. Starter plug to detla 10 4x4x4 to 1gallon hard pot with coco. To note I only used the 4x4x4s till I ran out. Now I am just using starter cube to cup with promix to 1 gallon pot with promix.

I run athena pro line newts. With added biocozyme and Floralicous plus. My ph is 5.8 and ppm is around 600 at cup stage and 800 to 1000 during the 1 gal stage of veg.

The issues. Growth is weak. Leaves show deficiencies. Red stems dull green leaves. Some even what looks like newt burn maybe on a few leaves. Running billy kimber og and strawberry meltshake and gak Lemon.

My question what's up with the first few weeks of using coco? Does it take time for it to settle in or ph balance or idk. Please any info can help.

The worst plants are the transplants without the 4x4x4. Ideally like the idea of using promix as my 1 gallon transplant medium. Roots look great.

tom29625

tom29625

Cal mag.
a teaspoon per gallon of water.
I've used promix and without adding cal mag my plants were slow. But I only used straight promix with about 10% perlite only, no other additives.
Not sure of the connection but I don't water without a tsp cal mag per gallon...
Only until flushing time...then just correct ph water.
Good luck.
Need pictures!

Peat_Phreak

Peat_Phreak

Promix is peat which is not the same thing as coco. They make a peat and coco blend. The most common is peat and perlite.

So if you have peat. There is nothing weird about the beginning. Your plants should be doing fine if you feed 15x a month.

If you actually have straight coco. Then you probably need to feed more often. Like daily or a few times a day.

Top Bottom