need a lot of soil at wholesale. anyone know where i can get some?

• Thread starter budbrothers
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

budbrothers

hey i have a large medical outdoor garden that me and a buddy are going to be putting together. i saw in a post somewhere a pallet of roots in one huge bag. whats the cost delivered to central cali?

im gonna need probably 6 pallets if not more.

any ideas?

jeffadies

jeffadies

Garden of Dreams Seed Co
I may be wrong but it would seem way more cost effective to amend the existing soil.

jeffadies

jeffadies

Garden of Dreams Seed Co
sorry my answer was not really what you asked about..:) im pretty loopy at the moment. That sure is a shit ton of soil to have to buy though.

Blaze

Blaze

Dude you are in the central valley of California, one of the largest agriculture areas on the planet. Don't fuck around with over-priced inconsistent bagged soil. There are a TON of ag-geared soil companies in your area. I honestly do not understand why anyone who live in Cali would even ever consider buying bagged soil unless you are just mixing up a few gallons. Also, ff you are looking for a large quantity you need at least a truck and transfer load (20+ yards), not a pallet. Plus pallets of bagged stuff are pricey and not all that much soil - only 4+ yards or so. Do a Google search or look in the local phone book and see what you find.

B

budbrothers

sorry my answer was not really what you asked about..:) im pretty loopy at the moment. That sure is a shit ton of soil to have to buy though.

hahah yup i was just reading up on ammending the soil. vermiblend makes a nice mix i would still have to buy a bag for each plant every month thow and i would have to buy a pallet for the first go. and its like 25.00 each bag.

im gonna look up some respites maybe make mix up my own. we have rotto-tillers. so i could just buy individual additives :harvest:

B

budbrothers

Dude you are in the central valley of California, one of the largest agriculture areas on the planet. Don't fuck around with over-priced inconsistent bagged soil. There are a TON of ag-geared soil companies in your area. I honestly do not understand why anyone who live in Cali would even ever consider buying bagged soil unless you are just mixing up a few gallons. Also, ff you are looking for a large quantity you need at least a truck and transfer load (20+ yards), not a pallet. Plus pallets of bagged stuff are pricey and not all that much soil - only 4+ yards or so. Do a Google search or look in the local phone book and see what you find.

thanks blaze. i will do that. i just remembered i talked to the resources and building matterials guy last month when i was doing a flagstone patio build for my pops. they have a shit ton of topping soil. i would order probably 10 yard if i dont just amend the soil.

B

budbrothers

now do you recomend adding nutrients to the mix or just amendments? buy nutrients i mean like foxfarm or maxi grow and bloom?

S

Shredder

Do you plan on growing organic? I think you would be better served with amending your soil with meals, lime, gypsum. That sort of thing over bottled nutrients. If money is an issue you can go with large bags of espoma's tone fertilizers. They have a good selction of meals included and are reasonably priced. If you can, get something to add humic content in your mix, this will make a big difference. On a large scale compost would be cheaper than buying EWC. Up to 25% humus should work well.....good luck.....shredder

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Depending on the space 10yds ought to do it. I'm getting away with 5yds of compost that I'm using to amend my native soil (which is NOTHING like the soil in the central valley).

Shredded and Blaze are right. You need to get out of the "pot nutrients" mindset and just grow plants because there is no real need for that shit.

Start with your soil, maybe have it tested so you know where it's at. I haven't done that, I just went with the weeds that are present and by 'feel', which led me to gypsum, oyster shell flower, Gaia Green, soft rock phosphate, wood ashes all mixed with excellent compost from Grover Soil Solutions (WonderGrow compost).

5yds of the compost, delivered, ran me around $225 (I can't find the receipt! need to get a copy of that for taxes).

Blaze

Blaze

It's hard to say what to amend with since soils differ so much. Ideally you want to get your soil tested so you know what to add and what not to add. In general though cannabis is a heavy feeder so lots of organic matter, like composted manure, and additional dry amendments will usually benefit the plant a lot. Cannabis also like well drained and well aerated soil so keep that in mind. For the plant to do well the physical properties must be in balance as well as the nutrients.

Everyone will have a different answer to what is "best" for the soil. This is what I like:

For slow release N, feather meal. For fast release N, high N bat guano. For slow and fast release P, plus Ca, steamed bone meal. For K, PGR's, and trace elements, seaweed powder. For micros and trace minerals, Azomite. You also need plenty of compost too! There are plenty of other options out there as well, like fish bone meal, blood meal, alfalfa meal, crab shell meal, seabird guano etc.

To re-amend my soil this year I used a bunch of composted dairy cow manure that was cut with rice hulls, feather meal, bone meal, seaweed powder, humic acid, azomite, and Mykos. So far the plants are loving it.

For drainage and structure, rice hulls are great and also provide small amounts of silica. Rocks can also provide permanent structure to the soil as well as additional trace minerals. Also I would definitely recommend adding some sort of powdered humic acid like Shredder recommended, as well as Mykos or another mycco product.

Also EWC can work well but they are really pricey. IMO they work better as an ingredient in aerated compost tea rather than a soil amendment. If you are looking to ad organic matter and nutrients, you are better of using compost and dry amendments, since you can get the same effect and spend a lot less money doing it. The thing that really stands out with the EWC in my opinion are the living organisms it contains not the nutrient profile itself. Thus if you culture those organisms in a good tea, you will get the same benefits as using it in the soil, but at a much, much lower cost.

C

CT Guy

You can get "supersacks" of Alaska Humus (Denali Gold) from simplici-tea.com for 400-500 dollars plus shipping. they run around 2,200-2,400 lbs. and are about 2 cubic yards/sack. This would be a solid base for someone looking to amend a large amount of soil.

Top Bottom