Need advice: During veg - light on leaves or on bud sites?

• Thread starter hazyvonne
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
hazyvonne

hazyvonne

I'm on my first ever grow, week 6 of veg. I started to ScrOG about a week ago. My plant is an Alaskan Purple, very short, very bushy with tons of big leaves. As I've started to move the branches along the net I also tucked back/tied back the leaves to get maximum light on all the little future bud sites. This takes a LOT of work every day as she bounces back and her leaves cover everything again within 24 hours. Now I'm wondering if what I'm doing even makes sense. During veg do I want maximum light on the leaves as they produce the energy or do I want to tie the leaves back and have max light on the bud sites?

First pic is in the morning with the leaves un-tied/ un-tucked, second pic is after I tied the leaves back to get light to the bud sites.

Amina1
Amina2
thehighguy

thehighguy

you want the leaves to get most of the light during the veg cycle, but allowing light to the node regions like you did will encourage branching. this happens because the smaller branchy colas are now getting more light and in turn growing faster. what im getting at is expose the parts of the plant you want to grow the most to the light, because your using a ScrOG technique you want to expose those baby colas at the nodes to the light. it will lead to a branchy bushy plant. just be careful to not overdue it or you will end up with small popcorn nugs at all the node regions. every strain has a genetic predisposition to the amount of flower it can produce, so if the genetics limit it to an oz then you would probably be better off with a bunch of plants in a sog. sorry i got off topic, the scrog looks good, the only thing i would recommend is maybe thinning the plant in a week or two to allow airflow, and light penetration.

hazyvonne

hazyvonne

@thehighguy, thank you for your reply! That was exactly the answer I needed. I will no longer tie all the leaves back but be more strategic about it. That way both leaves and little nodes get the light (that's the plan anyway 😁)

One drop

One drop

Bush Doctor
Supporter
Hi welcome to the farm , leaves are the engine room for the plant , and later on down the track the plant will draw from the leaves the stored energy , plus the more leaves you have gives you a better indicator on ph levels or problems caused by ph lockout . I leave the leaves alone . Regards OD.

thehighguy

thehighguy

Hi welcome to the farm , leaves are the engine room for the plant , and later on down the track the plant will draw from the leaves the stored energy , plus the more leaves you have gives you a better indicator on ph levels or problems caused by ph lockout . I leave the leaves alone . Regards OD.
i agree dont over thin it, just get enough to allow enough airflow to prevent mildew at various heights and slightly better light penetration. its not overly important during the veg cycle but during flowering your plant is susceptible. another good practice is tipping the leafs, that way light and air can flow but you didn't shock the plant as bad. dont take a leaf unless you have to.

Top Bottom