Need advice for combatting Nitrogen toxicity/ Ph issues

• Thread starter VvVoltron
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
VvVoltron

VvVoltron

Hello everyone, new grower looking for some advice. I get lost in reading and looking for ideas, so I figure advice from real growers is a better solution.
I didn't realise there was different scales for ppm (hard rookie mistake, and I've made lots)
So my plant was seemingly happy at ppm of 950 (Hanna) which is ec of 1.9. I never used ec before, but now it's starting to make sense lol. Well i was just adding nutrient water too it when it was drinking and it was drinking heavy. (plant seemed happy) Finally got my new TDS meter in. Old one was in an unfortunate accident while me and the kids were mixing basil nutrients.

I check the ppm.. 2700!!! Plant is just showing nutrient burned tips at this point. I drained the res and added water. Drained that and added nutes.
Ph started going crazy after that. Here's some info.
Pics below
My plant is on day 27 of flower
Advanced nutrients ph perfect with added Cal mag
Single 5 gal dwc
2 air stones
Temps 68 night - 78 day
40-55% humidy
Res temperature 68-70
Two circulation fans
filtered exhaust,
passive air intake

I use my tap water ph is 7.33 to start, ppm 62, so ec 0.12 my nutrients almost always auto buffer to 5.88

I'm including the 0.12 or 62 ppm in my final mixed numbers.
I mixed a batch of nutrients to 1000ppm and ph 5.88 added it to the res. Next morning the nutrients were 980 ppm and the ph was 4.3! I added Ph'd water and later that night checked again. Ph still 4.3 and nutrient burn getting worse. So I realise my ec was over 5.0 with my high levels when I was just adding nutes. And still 2.0 up until yesterday afternoon when I drained res and added just water with some h202.

What should I be looking to do now? I checked ph this morning and realised I didn't even ph the water yesterday. Should I oh the water and continue another day, straight water, or maybe just mix njtes to ec of around 0.9-1.1 Ph'd and go from there? Any advice will help. I'm aware I screwed up lol so I'm not going to get my feelings hurt.

Need advice for combatting nitrogen toxicity ph issues
Need advice for combatting nitrogen toxicity ph issues 2
TripsRabbit

TripsRabbit

When you top off your res is it with full strength? And do you mix your nutrients and let the water sit there without a bubble stone?

RR1

RR1

When you top off your res is it with full strength? And do you mix your nutrients and let the water sit there without a bubble stone?
For the next week or even two, go down to 25% strength. Look for new growth and look at what that new growth looks like. Nice healthy new leaves. Keep using calmag but at only half the amount. When you start getting nice healthy growth, start slowly upping your nutes until you get what you want.
What I'm going to say next is heresy, and I am gonna get flamed by a bunch of you. I take a less scientific approach with my plants, and it's funny cause I am a wastewater expert and a water chemist.
I use the Floranova line from GH. I do hydro in an ebb and flow bucket system with a 50gal res. I went to their website and I used their recommendation for how much to use in a 50gal res. Once I start, I just top off the reservoir every day with 5.9 pH water. I take it down by half if I haven't grown the strain before. In several weeks I get them up to full strength IF they look like they like it. I do not take EC, or ppm measurements. I do change out nutes every week, and follow the weekly plan they have laid out. I don't play with new additives much until I have grown that strain before. I do keep detailed notebooks. And before anyone says anything, I grow really nice healthy cannabis with no bugs, mold, insecticides, or off tastes. I cure average 2 months, and everyone loves my dope, ( except a moron who once said it was too strong cause him and his buddy couldn't finish a joint).
For a scientist, a more holistic approach may not make sense, but I spend time with my plants everyday, and this works. I have decent well water but run it through a good 3 stage filter before using.
It works well for me after all these years. There is more than one way to defur a feline.
Let the flaming begin. ;)
Don't worry, I have thick skin.
RR1

VvVoltron

VvVoltron

I was topping it off with full strength. Nm that's what originally caused the issue for sure. My ppm ended up around 2800.
I usually have nutes mixed a few days ahead at least. And no airstones in storage container for my nutrients, just the two in the dwc bucket. Lots of bibles, seems well oxygenated.

VvVoltron

VvVoltron

For the next week or even two, go down to 25% strength. Look for new growth and look at what that new growth looks like. Nice healthy new leaves. Keep using calmag but at only half the amount. When you start getting nice healthy growth, start slowly upping your nutes until you get what you want.
What I'm going to say next is heresy, and I am gonna get flamed by a bunch of you. I take a less scientific approach with my plants, and it's funny cause I am a wastewater expert and a water chemist.
I use the Floranova line from GH. I do hydro in an ebb and flow bucket system with a 50gal res. I went to their website and I used their recommendation for how much to use in a 50gal res. Once I start, I just top off the reservoir every day with 5.9 pH water. I take it down by half if I haven't grown the strain before. In several weeks I get them up to full strength IF they look like they like it. I do not take EC, or ppm measurements. I do change out nutes every week, and follow the weekly plan they have laid out. I don't play with new additives much until I have grown that strain before. I do keep detailed notebooks. And before anyone says anything, I grow really nice healthy cannabis with no bugs, mold, insecticides, or off tastes. I cure average 2 months, and everyone loves my dope, ( except a moron who once said it was too strong cause him and his buddy couldn't finish a joint).
For a scientist, a more holistic approach may not make sense, but I spend time with my plants everyday, and this works. I have decent well water but run it through a good 3 stage filter before using.
It works well for me after all these years. There is more than one way to defur a feline.
Let the flaming begin. ;)
Don't worry, I have thick skin.
RR1
I did end up going to lesser strength on the nutrients for now as my leaves are really dark green, burnt tips, and down curling. Drained resovoir (PhD it and gave it to my other plants, basil, mint etc) so none of my nutrients really go to waste if I drain a resovoir.
Mixed a batch to 550 ppm higher ratio of bloom nutrients in that mix, I assumed it might be a good aides as a way to reduce overall nitrogen content.. ph 5.91
Ran that for a day and ph remained the same, ppm went up slightly so I added ph'd water.
The next day the ppm was about the same, but the ph dropped to 4.3 I brought the ph up and added ph'd water. Going to check it now, the plant doesn't look worse, but not showing any major signs of recovery. The buds are still getting thicker and still dense.
I'm not overly worried about all of this, but I don't want to outright kill the thing either lol. I'm trying to learn and figure things out as I go, so I'm willing to experiment, any and all help is welcomed. Thanks.

TripsRabbit

TripsRabbit

You should keep a bubble stone or submersible pump in any pre mixed nutrient water.

VvVoltron

VvVoltron

You should keep a bubble stone or submersible pump in any pre mixed nutrient water.
I keep a bucket of ph'd water there too. Should I be tossing a stone in there? I have lots of air lines available in that room.

TripsRabbit

TripsRabbit

I keep a bucket of ph'd water there too. Should I be tossing a stone in there? I have lots of air lines available in that room.
Why do you keep pH water? You are supposed to ph it the very last thing after you mix in nutes.
If you leave your nute water sitting with no air stones it can go rancid and cause problems.

VvVoltron

VvVoltron

Why do you keep pH water? You are supposed to ph it the very last thing after you mix in nutes.
If you leave your nute water sitting with no air stones it can go rancid and cause problems.
When your ppm in your resovoir starts climbing through the week whe plant is drinking lots of water and not uptaking nutrients, wouldnt you add ph'd water instead of more nutrients? Because When i was adding more nutrient water, resovoir hit over 2800 ppm and my plant ended up with nutrient burn.
And my nutrients don't sit in a resovoir nearly long enough to go rancid. Never had them in a bucket for even a full week.

Latest posts

Top Bottom