Need advice on cause for poor bud size/development

• Thread starter Skunkbudz4u
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Skunkbudz4u

Skunkbudz4u

I have 6 dwc buckets running same nutes back to reservoir ph monitored. My temps are steady daily at no more than 79-80 daytime 66 night. 7 weeks into flower and everything is looking like it’s done only there is barely any bud weight. The plants are huge mostly healthy looking massive clean roots. Two diff strains also confusing me even further? Here are some pics. Thanks in advance for any possible help

Need advice on cause for poor bud sizedevelopment
Need advice on cause for poor bud sizedevelopment 2
Need advice on cause for poor bud sizedevelopment 3
Need advice on cause for poor bud sizedevelopment 4
Need advice on cause for poor bud sizedevelopment 5
Need advice on cause for poor bud sizedevelopment 6
Need advice on cause for poor bud sizedevelopment 7
Need advice on cause for poor bud sizedevelopment 8
Need advice on cause for poor bud sizedevelopment 9
Need advice on cause for poor bud sizedevelopment 10
Need advice on cause for poor bud sizedevelopment 11
Need advice on cause for poor bud sizedevelopment 12
Need advice on cause for poor bud sizedevelopment 13
growsince79

growsince79

What strains are they. How much are /were you feeding?

Skunkbudz4u

Skunkbudz4u

What strains are they. How much are /were you feeding?
Gelato OG and Amnesia. I do water changes bi weekly I’m at 968ppm 1 week in started at 1600. Each 2 week cycle I have been adjusting nutrient strengths typically I don’t have to add in much between water changes. Only significant change I feel I have made was going with 1/2 Tapwater 1/2 R.O. Because of ph fluctuations with ro only

Mr.GreenthumbOG

Mr.GreenthumbOG

Grow for life🌱
Supporter
Possibly too much grow nutes and not enough
Bloom. Pretty green. Really leafy. Beautiful tho.
Along with the lights. As Aqua mentioned.
NPK ratios as development progresses is key for bigger bud development.

Peppersmints

Peppersmints

Supporter
Plant must be spending alot of energy on the leafs there....I see more then 50% of your canopy not in contact with direct lighting....maybe im wrong, but, it could make sense that they need some better air exchanges.... I am not sure that fan is appropriate for air movement into your grow space. Temperature must be taken into different emplacement to figure where is your issue ! Roots seem awesome and it look healthy, but i would personnally defoliate the hell out of those.... removing big leaf that are not connected directly to bud site, or that are hiding lower bud site. Along with removing bottom long stem leaf, I wouldnt over do it, but im sure you could remove 25% of the leaf without a single issue....that if , you cleared any bugs related issue if so at first !

Grapefruitroop

Grapefruitroop

I agree with the possible light stress/heat (what lights are u using? cmh?led?) cause the lower parts look very healty, but hey, i would first point at the genetic....
Just few toughts...
Size gets rarely affected in bad conditions (aside from the lack of direct light) when we use selected clones,
Quality, density, appearance, terpens, weight they sure get affected by environmenta problems...
Ive worked for 7 years in weed farms and ive seen lots of problems , but always worked with selected clones, never seeds....

That peanuts like buds are quite common between the new polyhybrids.....even doh the spanish amnesia has always been a producer...if you got em from seeds you could never been sure about it....
Ive seen some progenies of seeds sold as gelato or shrbert that flowered with a joint worth of bud!.....crazy flavors doh.

In first LED run i burned the hell out of my seed crop,waaaay to much light waaaaay to much close, ruined ! but i still found some keeper, huge cristal covered colas sorrounded by hay grade buds...

I also have the feeling that under LEDs the phenohunt is a little bit more tricky because some genetics that have been bred under hps for so many generations will freak out with this new light sources......

Skunkbudz4u

Skunkbudz4u

I see light/heat stress... the other possibility is mites of some type.
I agree with the light/ heat stress, just didn’t think it would effect quantity like this was looking really good on my heights going into flower but they stretched so much.I can’t find any mites on anything including the roots. Thanks for the input man

Skunkbudz4u

Skunkbudz4u

Plant must be spending alot of energy on the leafs there....I see more then 50% of your canopy not in contact with direct lighting....maybe im wrong, but, it could make sense that they need some better air exchanges.... I am not sure that fan is appropriate for air movement into your grow space. Temperature must be taken into different emplacement to figure where is your issue ! Roots seem awesome and it look healthy, but i would personnally defoliate the hell out of those.... removing big leaf that are not connected directly to bud site, or that are hiding lower bud site. Along with removing bottom long stem leaf, I wouldnt over do it, but im sure you could remove 25% of the leaf without a single issue....that if , you cleared any bugs related issue if so at first !

I do have another wall mounted fan in there 16” oscillating plus I also run 2 in line fans one taking air in the other out I feel like I have already been pulling a pile of leaves of most of them huge fan leaves but I feel like I’m stuffed in there with 6 maybe I should drop back to 4 plants I def need to rid more of the bottom crap I do that every time and say I’m going to take more next crop. Mostly I’m nervous to take to much once into flowering because I don’t want any hermies from stress. Thanks for your feedback

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Here's a video I took 2 days ago - not for this, but at 2:08 you can see the bottoms all trimmed up.

Thats 6 plants in a 4x8. I think you have plenty of room for 6 plants.

This tent will clock in over 4 pounds and is not that dissimilar to your setup:

Skunkbudz4u

Skunkbudz4u

I agree with the possible light stress/heat (what lights are u using? cmh?led?) cause the lower parts look very healty, but hey, i would first point at the genetic....
Just few toughts...
Size gets rarely affected in bad conditions (aside from the lack of direct light) when we use selected clones,
Quality, density, appearance, terpens, weight they sure get affected by environmenta problems...
Ive worked for 7 years in weed farms and ive seen lots of problems , but always worked with selected clones, never seeds....

That peanuts like buds are quite common between the new polyhybrids.....even doh the spanish amnesia has always been a producer...if you got em from seeds you could never been sure about it....
Ive seen some progenies of seeds sold as gelato or shrbert that flowered with a joint worth of bud!.....crazy flavors doh.

In first LED run i burned the hell out of my seed crop,waaaay to much light waaaaay to much close, ruined ! but i still found some keeper, huge cristal covered colas sorrounded by hay grade buds...

I also have the feeling that under LEDs the phenohunt is a little bit more tricky because some genetics that have been bred under hps for so many generations will freak out with this new light sources......

I’m using 2 315 cmh I recently added the other in the middle just 125 watt led. They are seeds I’ve not done any clones so far because I have read about preceding a taproot I’m only on my third grow I am questioning genetics but seems less likely in 2 strains at the same time. Solid info man thanks These def look like they are not going to yield hardly anything

Skunkbudz4u

Skunkbudz4u

Looks like questionable genetics to me. Are they autos?
They are not autos I went into flower a little sooner this cycle because I was trying to not end up with plants as tall to help with some of the light /heat issues I had in my last grow

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

That’s the first time I have heard that perspective. I feel like that explains a lot of what I have seen and I never made the connection.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

They are not autos I went into flower a little sooner this cycle because I was trying to not end up with plants as tall to help with some of the light /heat issues I had in my last grow
There are things you can do to improve yield regardless of genetics like the scrog in my video, but I think the genetics are the issue.

Skunkbudz4u

Skunkbudz4u

Here are a few pics from the last 2 grows with exact same setup using technaflora nutrients at the recommended amounts per gallon. Just feel like I botched the hell out of this but the plants were healthier looking didn’t run into the same early mistakes with ph or fungus gnats

2057583F 4AE7 4AF7 ACD8 B9B299707D12
C616F03B 56F6 433F 81BF B888F25F806A
039AF2BF B87E 4BA0 8448 2FADDB834B3C
587BE858 BF02 4FDA 8E39 4FDD2CC85F81
DazedNconfused78

DazedNconfused78

Here's a video I took 2 days ago - not for this, but at 2:08 you can see the bottoms all trimmed up.

Is a 4x4 flood table big enough for 6 plants? Pic from today

Madmax

Madmax

Gee moe..you have taken it to a whole different level.love your whole setup

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Is a 4x4 flood table big enough for 6 plants? Pic from today
yes, 4x4 will fit 6 small plants. Switch to flower early and pick genetics carefully.

You can grow lots of small plants or fewer trees in the same space, just comes down to gardening skills. I grow trees because of plant count limits in my state.

One thing to consider, generally the longer you let a plant go (including veg) the result is typically more types and amounts of cannabinoids. So plants that get an entire unmolested grow (longer veg, longer flower) tend to be more complex and better overall. It's a little tough to get a plant to reach full potential when it is right on top of the one next to it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom