Need answers on growing Landrace Sativas outside in containers.

• Thread starter sativarick
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

sativarick

Will go outside in april-may, after sexing them indoors through light manipulation, eliminating males, and then returning to veg state. I can do that No Probs. Planning on harvest late Oct. to about now in 23 in Oregon. I’m looking for some advice from experienced growers of Landrace, timing of when to actually start the sexing project, whether to top, FIM, etc. Malawi, Lambsbread, Burmese.

Garbage_bear

Garbage_bear

Most Landrace Sativas won't finish outside in Oregon. Even hybrid sativas like Amnesia haze start late and won't finish outside here. Grow them inside.

S

sativarick

No room indoors. Gotta be outside. Is what you say based on temperature? I still have a live mostly sativa outside today, with a good size bud on it. Leaves are mostly yellow, and I already harvested most of the plant 10 days ago, but am letting this last 4-5" bud go as an experiment, just to see how long it can survive. Gray, foggy, but temps are in 35 night-50 daytemp range

mrcrispy13

mrcrispy13

A great question that I struggle with even after 4-5 years of dedicated LR work. I suspect there isnt one good answer and it will be strain specific.

I grew Uttarakhand & Nanda Devi this year and it was mostly a fail except for getting some seeds to keep trying. I have a friend who lives in Dehradun so I ask him lots of questions about climate, soil & weather.
The monsoons hit July to September there. Winter snows occur from Oct to March. Soil there is gravelly and includes stiff mineral depleted clay. People there who farm however know to plant in the runoff areas where the organics accumulate. Even then the good soil is shallow. Elevations range from 6-8000ft. My strains seem to like cold temps but HATE getting their roots hot. The growers there seem to grow weed like it's bamboo with 30-40 plants in an island letting whatever survives carry forward with seeds starting naturally to fill in what dies in the snows.

I popped seeds in Feb, raised them in my tent until they outgrew it, then moved them outside in 5gal pots. Things went well until late June when California temps became fickle and unusually hot and dry. By August they were in large trash can containers and were taller than the gutters on my house. The Nanda Devi sexed earlier than the Uttarakhand which didnt show until early October. I experimented with taking a dozen clones of each strain when they started looking sad...putting them back into veg.

One Nanda Devi flowered nicely for me but it was scary pulling into my driveway and seeing it poking above my house from the back yard. The flowers were all foxtail growth but mostly a 3ft section at the top of a giant twig. My males are in fact flowering right now and Im about a week from collecting pollen. The males came much later than the females. I will use the cloned females with the pollen to make more seeds.

Things I learned: The seeds hated paper towel method and loved 80F bottom heated sand, taking 2-3wks to sprout. The bigger the plants got, the less they liked being fed. 40gal containers were too small and I should have put them into the ground. They liked being dry so much I will make special soil next time that eliminates vermiculite and adds lots of silica sand. Once they got big they hated when the containers got warm and the ones put directly on cool shaded cement slabs did better than others left in the warm sun.

What I have been pondering is that It *might* work to keep things in their looong outdoor veg cycle, clone the tops once summer hits and carry them over for flowering indoors. /shrug.
My Thai and Africans never had these issues inside or out but the Himalayans have been a lesson in humility.

Last edited:
Garbage_bear

Garbage_bear

No room indoors. Gotta be outside. Is what you say based on temperature? I still have a live mostly sativa outside today, with a good size bud on it. Leaves are mostly yellow, and I already harvested most of the plant 10 days ago, but am letting this last 4-5" bud go as an experiment, just to see how long it can survive. Gray, foggy, but temps are in 35 night-50 daytemp range
Well when temperatures go below 50 degrees Fahrenheit the plants pretty much stop growing. Most landrace sativas also have long flowering periods. Most plants would be frozen where I live in Oregon.

S

sativarick

You wrote, Well when temperatures go below 50 degrees Fahrenheit the plants pretty much stop growing. Most landrace sativas also have long flowering periods. Most plants would be frozen where I live in Oregon.
Thanks for your interest/help/advice. I always believed that a light frost followed by nights of no frost made for tastier buds. Is that incorrect, just a myth? I had a Hawaiian and a Thai outside back in PA that never finished b/c of temps and hard frosts, but was hoping to avoid that here S of Portland. Where in OR are you?

Garbage_bear

Garbage_bear

You wrote, Well when temperatures go below 50 degrees Fahrenheit the plants pretty much stop growing. Most landrace sativas also have long flowering periods. Most plants would be frozen where I live in Oregon.
Thanks for your interest/help/advice. I always believed that a light frost followed by nights of no frost made for tastier buds. Is that incorrect, just a myth? I had a Hawaiian and a Thai outside back in PA that never finished b/c of temps and hard frosts, but was hoping to avoid that here S of Portland. Where in OR are you?
I am not sure about that frost/taste thing. Maybe Bro Science lol. I have had buds turn dark purple during cold nights. which is pretty cool. I never tried any taste tests.

I'm in Prinetucky! Well actually outside of Prineville up in the mountains. We are about 4000ft. I have a greenhouse and can run plants well into late November because I have a propane heater. But I need some kind of dehumidifier with that set up. I have has some mold issues on tight buds.

Seems like you would have a very humid/cold environment outside over there on that side of the mountains during November/December?Jan. To me it just seems too cold to run tropical landrace strains in Oregon.

Latest posts

Top Bottom