Need As Much Advice As Possible 1st Mini Grow Ever

• Thread starter superskunk4u
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
superskunk4u

superskunk4u

Hi all, I'm in the process of setting up my first "mini grow" in an old cupboard .865mm H .820mm W .500mm D. I have lined the inside with aluminum foil to help reflect the light better. Now I haven't got any lights or fans just yet as I'm a little unsure what to grab (wanna try a mars hydro led but told i cant ) . now my thoughts are to go with some form of "low-ryder Auto" strain that tops out around the .500mm-.725mm I have 3 run of your mill aus bush seeds that I have germinated and potted yesterday so kinda want to get a move along with this project so I can bugger around with these seeds before trying to grow something more exotic. so any help would be appreciated.

Basic Buds

Basic Buds

Welcome aboard man! I will leave the advise to the pros as I am still learning myself. Keep us updated with some pictures ✌ good luck to you my green friend

superskunk4u

superskunk4u

Welcome aboard man! I will leave the advise to the pros as I am still learning myself. Keep us updated with some pictures ✌ good luck to you my green friend
Cheers Bro, ill be throwing up some pix over the next week or so just wanna get some advice before I lash out getting lights.. I would really like to venture down the LED path for this one but know sweet bugger all about them lol.

Basic Buds

Basic Buds

Cheers Bro, ill be throwing up some pix over the next week or so just wanna get some advice before I lash out getting lights.. I would really like to venture down the LED path for this one but know sweet bugger all about them lol.
From what I've researched (un confirmed), led's are a tough one to work with. I've read cases of LED grows producing way less potent buds (described as useless). But then again, I've read cases of beautiful grown, lushes strong buds via LED. Your best bet is to post your questions in the 'grow designs & setup* (??) forum.

Basic Buds

Basic Buds

Not sure how useful this is to your level of knowledge but I hope it is helpful

G gnome

G gnome

Theres a guy on here who makes his own led lights and can probably help u figure out whats best for ur situation. @Toaster79

superskunk4u

superskunk4u

Theres a guy on here who makes his own led lights and can probably help u figure out whats best for ur situation. @Toaster79
Yeah I was looking at supra's thread before it is amazing how good they turn out as well... I really should hit him up and pick his brain for a bit more info

Toaster79

Toaster79

Hey, might wanna check the thread in my signature. Your grow space is pretty much the same as mine was. Might get an idea or two.

Keep it green!

Tejashidrow

Tejashidrow

Pull down the foil and toss in recycle bin
Paint interior with flat white paint
Mars hydros grow great, I have 2
But
Google DIY cob grow light small med grow
I have built one exactly as in this tech and working great!!
I am now bulding another but useing all parts from eBay, cheap China cobs and other parts.
50% more watts 50% less cost
Building a cob grow light is way easier than building a led panel.
As much as I love Mars hydro these DIY cob lights have them beat in price and performance
Good luck good grow

BigBun

BigBun

First of all: ditch the aluminium foil!!!!
You can switch it out for white paint or a rescue blanket, both have WAY better reflection.

As for light in that i would recommend 150w the most. Go with the new ceramic lights if you can afford them. HCI Powerball and the CMH lamps.
If you cant, simply use a 150w HPS.

You need a fan+filter system for the odor and the air exchange. The fan should at least be able to move air as much as the watts of the lamp. Meaning if you have a 150w lamp, your fan should at least be able to do 150m³/h. Dont forget that the filter takes away 20-30% of that power.
If you want it to be silent and last longer you should buy a bigger fan than u need and gear it down. Pros and cons:

Pro
- lower noise
- will hold longer because it doesnt spin full speed all the time
- you can still use the fan if you want to go bigger sometimes (you will, believe me)
- better temperature control for the growroom

Cons:
- cost

Dont grow Autos indoor. The only difference between them and other seeds is the fact that you have NO influence on the plant in terms of when to flower. They have a set lifespan in which they do what they are "programmed" for. If u do a mistake in Veg for example, you cant compensate for it by letting it veg longer. Every mistake = lower yield.

Grow feminized seeds so you dont have to select. You decide when they start to flower by switching the light cycle to 12h dark/12h light.

Last but not least, with your height of the box you should definately look into the ScroG Method.

Limonene

Limonene

First of all: ditch the aluminium foil!!!!
You can switch it out for white paint or a rescue blanket, both have WAY better reflection.

As for light in that i would recommend 150w the most. Go with the new ceramic lights if you can afford them. HCI Powerball and the CMH lamps.
If you cant, simply use a 150w HPS.

You need a fan+filter system for the odor and the air exchange. The fan should at least be able to move air as much as the watts of the lamp. Meaning if you have a 150w lamp, your fan should at least be able to do 150m³/h. Dont forget that the filter takes away 20-30% of that power.
If you want it to be silent and last longer you should buy a bigger fan than u need and gear it down. Pros and cons:

Pro
- lower noise
- will hold longer because it doesnt spin full speed all the time
- you can still use the fan if you want to go bigger sometimes (you will, believe me)
- better temperature control for the growroom

Cons:
- cost

Dont grow Autos indoor. The only difference between them and other seeds is the fact that you have NO influence on the plant in terms of when to flower. They have a set lifespan in which they do what they are "programmed" for. If u do a mistake in Veg for example, you cant compensate for it by letting it veg longer. Every mistake = lower yield.

Grow feminized seeds so you dont have to select. You decide when they start to flower by switching the light cycle to 12h dark/12h light.

Last but not least, with your height of the box you should definately look into the ScroG Method.
what he said.

M

Mayhem Farms

I know this might piss off a lot of people but the led is over and is going out like BETA MAX ie "cree". Get a T5 the heat distribution is spread out unlike led where the heat source is a single small chip. A T5 is something that will be used even after you get a 1000 watt set up.

Tejashidrow

Tejashidrow

@Mayhem Farms
Only reason CoB lovers would get pissed off is because we realize what another Unenlightened person this is.
its hard for intelligent people to get pissed off at under educated folks....
(not saying i am intelligent, just saying its hard...)
as far as cobs (i.e. Cree) that its over you are very under thinking.
I have grown the dank with:
cfl
pll
t5
150, 250, 400 hps.
Cobs (especially (D.I.Y. Cobs) are the best at this time for growers like this, with LIMITED space.
Go head and fit a T5 in this space.
Gonna Bend it or what??
Come on man Wake up from the fog !!
PLEEEEEEEZE!!!!!

M

Mayhem Farms

@Mayhem Farms
Only reason CoB lovers would get pissed off is because we realize what another Unenlightened person this is.
its hard for intelligent people to get pissed off at under educated folks....
(not saying i am intelligent, just saying its hard...)
as far as cobs (i.e. Cree) that its over you are very under thinking.
I have grown the dank with:
cfl
pll
t5
150, 250, 400 hps.
Cobs (especially (D.I.Y. Cobs) are the best at this time for growers like this, with LIMITED space.
Go head and fit a T5 in this space.
Gonna Bend it or what??
Come on man Wake up from the fog !!
PLEEEEEEEZE!!!!!
What I meant was that led manufacturing is slowing down on a whole. I'm sure the weed growing industry will continue to sell them.

Tejashidrow

Tejashidrow

What I meant was that led manufacturing is slowing down on a whole. I'm sure the weed growing industry will continue to sell them.

First I have heard that led manufacturing has slowed.
Especially since they are no longer makeing filiment lightbulbs
Do you mean LED light panels production has slowed down??
I can see that with the upswing of CoBs.

M

Mayhem Farms

The type of diode we use for growing. Due to demand for a diode that has not been tested or developed for growing . I'm having a hard time putting it into words because the physics and math are not the easiest thing to break down in a single paragraph.

Top Bottom