Need As Much Advice As Possible 1st Mini Grow Ever

• Thread starter superskunk4u
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
rmoltis

rmoltis

The Beast Slayer
Supporter
First of all: ditch the aluminium foil!!!!
You can switch it out for white paint or a rescue blanket, both have WAY better reflection.

Rescue blankets are focused on reflecting and containing infrared light (heat). They may cause your space to heat up by containing and reflecting the heat.

I have a friend who had some rescue blankets up that he took down.
That day his temps in a 10'X10' space with 2 1,000 watt lights dropped a couple degrees.

Just something to think about.

I personally would rather use some flat white paint with high reflectivity (if I needed to line a surface)

BigBun

BigBun

Rescue blankets are focused on reflecting and containing infrared light (heat). They may cause your space to heat up by containing and reflecting the heat.

But i guess you would still agree that they are better than aluminum foil.
I have DIY reflectors made out of cardboard and rescue blankets for my fluo tube fitting.

rmoltis

rmoltis

The Beast Slayer
Supporter
But i guess you would still agree that they are better than aluminum foil.
I have DIY reflectors made out of cardboard and rescue blankets for my fluo tube fitting.

Yes I would agree that they are better than foil.

Depending on how many you need.
1 or 2 gal of paint could be cheaper. Maybe $20-$30 for a couple gallons at the paint store if you have a company discount.

I am a union painter (when it is not winter lol). Granted I already have the tools. It would just be a matter of prepping the surface and applying the paint.

BigBun

BigBun

1 rescue blanket would be enough for his box. and we can get them here at the dollarstore. its definately the cheapest way BUT 1 Layer isnt sufficient. And yes i would prefer white paint too.

Tejashidrow

Tejashidrow

The type of diode we use for growing. Due to demand for a diode that has not been tested or developed for growing . I'm having a hard time putting it into words because the physics and math are not the easiest thing to break down in a single paragraph.

I can sorta understand what you did not put into words sorta......
If ya mean the full spectrum cob LEDs ( I guess that's what's not being put in word) I get it.
Sorta....
Full spec cobs (red hue to our eyes) those diodes weaken quick.
But the warm/cool cobs LEDs I find it hard to believe production is going down as that is where the lighting industry is headed. Just trying to understand your thought patterns....
As far as for being tested for growing bout ALL LIGHTS ( t5, cfl, hps, mh, pll,LEDs) were All put out with out the thought of growing.
But fellow growers tested and found that they can be used to grow.

M

Mayhem Farms

I can sorta understand what you did not put into words sorta......
If ya mean the full spectrum cob LEDs ( I guess that's what's not being put in word) I get it.
Sorta....
Full spec cobs (red hue to our eyes) those diodes weaken quick.
But the warm/cool cobs LEDs I find it hard to believe production is going down as that is where the lighting industry is headed. Just trying to understand your thought patterns....
As far as for being tested for growing bout ALL LIGHTS ( t5, cfl, hps, mh, pll,LEDs) were All put out with out the thought of growing.
But fellow growers tested and found that they can be used to grow.
You have to do what you have to do so use what's available to you. If you're going to be spending a big amount of money be carefull. I have never used a LED my understanding is based off calculations. I have a technical background and I'm good with complicated forms of math. I was not a honor student by no means.

Last edited:
Tejashidrow

Tejashidrow

You have to do what you have to do so use what's available to you. If you're going to be spending a big amount of money be carefull. I have never used a LED my understanding is based off calculations. I have a technical background and I'm good with complicated forms of math. I was not a honor student by no means.
No worries there
I never spend big money on growing. I'm a cheap DIY bastered.
( but I did shell out $200 for 2 mars hydro led grow lites that performed mahvalusly for 2 years for me)
i get you are calculation orentaded
Even with perfect calculations outside influences can come into play that will make the the perfect calcs results not perfect.
Any deficiency my LEDs lights may have has been compensated by grow technic.

M

Mayhem Farms

No worries there
I never spend big money on growing. I'm a cheap DIY bastered.
( but I did shell out $200 for 2 mars hydro led grow lites that performed mahvalusly for 2 years for me)
i get you are calculation orentaded
Even with perfect calculations outside influences can come into play that will make the the perfect calcs results not perfect.
Any deficiency my LEDs lights may have has been compensated by grow technic.
Yes you got it. It's your hobby and your spare time use what is available to you or the products that inspire your inner curiosity. Just remember to be safe and to not overload the power that is available in your space.

Do not exceed 85 percent of any circuit. If plugs and or outlets even get warm stop what you are doing and consult a licensed electrician.

Tejashidrow

Tejashidrow

Yes you got it. It's your hobby and your spare time use what is available to you or the products that inspire your inner curiosity. Just remember to be safe and to not overload the power that is available in your space.

Do not exceed 85 percent of any circuit. If plugs and or outlets even get warm stop what you are doing and consult a licensed electrician.

Thanks for the tips!!
I guess I forgot to mention I've been a electromechanical robotic technician for decades now
I use the least amount of amps to get the best out of my small space

M

Mayhem Farms

I'm a electromagneticmarijuana grower and FBI agent (female body inspector). And I forgot to mention something but can't remember now but I've been working on it for a long time...
LED lights have a high upfront cost because people will pay not because of manufacturing.
Not worth it for a beginner.
I'm here to grow plants I'm not trying to sell lights or prove one is better than the other.

Tejashidrow

Tejashidrow

Hey!!!
Love your ejamacation and smartatude!!
Prices for LEDs are and have dropped
I put together a led cob light (so easy) that puts out 75 watts per square feet. About $125.
Can't get much more cheaper than that for a great growing light.
Understand your passion for hps
But just as when hps was high dollar and diyers put together less expensive units.
And the price of hps grow lights has dropped.
As has the LED priceing.
Can't speak for commercial growers but for small personal grower med growers LEDs are a fantastic option.
While your calculations may be spot on, your overall view is way off
Grow on with what ever you choose to use
Peace

M

Mayhem Farms

Hps grow lights use copper, steel, glass, gases.
What makes up the cost of a led?
Why do you think they are dropping in price?
When electronic manufacturers come out with something new what do they do with the models or units that have already been produced?
My point is you can buy a light that you only need to hang and vent for $125us and it will work from seed to bud.
A T5 is more common and more widely used from beginner to pro, it will be easier to ask for help when you are having problems.
It makes it easier to figure out how to advise someone using a T5 because they can read right on the bulb what brand it is. You cannot do that with a led because the chips are sourced from different manufacturers then assembled by the fixture manufacture making it difficult to know what you're actually getting. I'm not talking about nothing more than what is a good light to start out with.
I've seen enough people using LEDs that they paid $500+ dollars on and my back up magnetic ballast and hortilux bulb w/vented hood blows it out of the game completely. Heat, power consumption, weight of fruit, duration of grow, overall cost.
I'm growing plants not selling lights, I'm biased to money not a light.

Tejashidrow

Tejashidrow

Hps grow lights use copper, steel, glass, gases.
What makes up the cost of a led?
Why do you think they are dropping in price?
When electronic manufacturers come out with something new what do they do with the models or units that have already been produced?
My point is you can buy a light that you only need to hang and vent for $125us and it will work from seed to bud.
A T5 is more common and more widely used from beginner to pro, it will be easier to ask for help when you are having problems.
It makes it easier to figure out how to advise someone using a T5 because they can read right on the bulb what brand it is. You cannot do that with a led because the chips are sourced from different manufacturers then assembled by the fixture manufacture making it difficult to know what you're actually getting. I'm not talking about nothing more than what is a good light to start out with.
I've seen enough people using LEDs that they paid $500+ dollars on and my back up magnetic ballast and hortilux bulb w/vented hood blows it out of the game completely. Heat, power consumption, weight of fruit, duration of grow, overall cost.
I'm growing plants not selling lights, I'm biased to money not a light.
So with all your calculations have you heard of Cree???
They seem to tell one all the specs if one reads.
Maybe your calculations are missing some information.
I'm sure you have seen some led grows that you feel are not great.
I have seen tons of hps grows that suck also. But of course your grows blows every led growers out of the water....
Wait... That's not what you mean??
You have probly based your test analysis on a small section of LED users ( probly old led tech).
Not looking at yours I am sure there are many led grows that blow your hps grow outa the water.
I don't doubt you can grow off hps.
Bout anyone can.
What I doubt are your calculations .
And you assumptions that all LEDs are not made properly .
there are tons of people (and more every day) with out calculating growing fantastic with LEDs.
Are you one who also says electric cars can't work and I've done the calculations so I will stay with my gas guzzler?
I guess it just bugs me how smart people can be so dumb and narrow sighted.
This will be my last post to you as my mind grows weary beating a dead horse and I'm sure you'll have a response just as enlighting as your previous responses.
Go smoke a bowl
Grow with what ya know
And to everyone else with a open mind to growing:
Check out LEDs
Calculations don't grow weed
People do.
Peace to all other cool people.
'Nuff Said
IM OUT!!!

Last edited:
Top Bottom