Need better controller than inkbird, any recommendations?

• Thread starter Beachwalker
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Probably my fault for assuming any cheaply manufactured Chinese product would last more than one day past when the warranty expired

I've only done a quick look but it seems all of this type of equipment is going to be about the same marginal quality

Does anybody have any other recommendations for any other humidity controller that they have used, whether it's cheap Chinese junk or not? -thanks

Last edited:
Beachwalker

Beachwalker

These seem to be my options, there was one more but it had less than 2 and 1/2 Stars

Not willing to assume that the expensive one works better

Maybe someone has some experience with these or any other brand humidity controllers?

Screenshot 20191003 060900 Chrome
Screenshot 20191003 060832 Chrome

I'm not going to need it again for about a month so maybe in that time I can find one that is (more) reliable?

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Starting to think this all-in-one type would be a better option, if I hadn't just bought a new humidifier two weeks ago to replace the other piece of crap humidifier that just died shortly after its warranty also ran out :/ wtf! This stuff isn't getting heavy use either, it's just really poorly manufactured

Screenshot 20191003 062336 Chrome

Thinking I might send the other one back and just get something like this and be done with it?

I've got till the 15th apparently to send this one back and order something with a built-in humistat like the one above ?

Screenshot 20191003 062816 Chrome

Any input would be appreciated on the way to go here because I'm sick of buying in good faith, then having to continually rebuy this cheap crap because it's designed to fail

How are you controlling your humidity in your drying area?

Last edited:
Beachwalker

Beachwalker

I dont use a humididity controller but i trust Titan for the controllers i use. Both going on year 6 with no issues.

And i control the humidity with 70 pint dehumidifiers for the whole house. Keeps the plants and humans under 60% rh.
Thanks for the input, Yeah I've seen a lot of people using Titan controls but they seem like Overkill for what I need.

Need for my small drying chamber, I'm thinking that the all-in-one unit is going to be my best option but trying to get more input before I rebuy yet again

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Here's the inkbird malfunctioning when it hits the upper limit set at 61% RH, and Work1 should shut off..
20191003 070500

But its not, so work 2 is turning on and work 1 is staying on?! that's great quality right there boy, great products inkbird.. NOT!

(In that picture the high alarm is flashing and beeping and both work1 and work2 are on, which should never happen simultaneously. Without looking it up this unit is maybe two and a half years old and has only had light use when drying harvests)

And of course the alarm went off in the middle of the night so I jumped out of bed thinking my house was on fire! 🤬

it's done this a couple of times but it seems to work after it resets itself for a while but this time it's not resetting and it's already ruined some zips for me so I'm over inkbird products for good, believe it!

Most likely I'm going to send the new humidifier back and buy the all-in-one humidifier unit and cross my fingers I guess, unless someone has a better recommendation?

Last edited:
basscaptain

basscaptain

here is my 2 cents and I'm old school so,with that said I think you looking for the same problem down the road with the 36.99 deal with the push control.........................

I like the titan old school set up.. not a lot to go wrong there.....

basscaptain

basscaptain

Here's the inkbird malfunctioning when it hits the upper limit set at 61% RH, and Work1 should shut off..
View attachment 900555

But its not, so work 2 is turning on and work 1 is staying on?! that's great quality right there boy, great products inkbird.. NOT!

(In that picture the high alarm is flashing and beeping and both work1 and work2 are on, which should never happen simultaneously. Without looking it up this unit is maybe two and a half years old and has only had light use when drying harvests)

And of course the alarm went off in the middle of the night so I jumped out of bed thinking my house was on fire! 🤬

it's done this a couple of times but it seems to work after it resets itself for a while but this time it's not resetting and it's already ruined some zips for me so I'm over inkbird products for good, believe it!

Most likely I'm going to send the new humidifier back and buy the all-in-one humidifier unit and cross my fingers I guess, unless someone has a better recommendation?
12 ga time :)

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

So I looked into this a bit more and kind of surprised how few options there are?

Seems not many people are making these plug-and-play controllers, maybe that's how come some companies can keep selling poor quality and get away with it?

Seems my best and/or most affordable option is to buy an all-in-one unit like this..

Screenshot 20191003 103238 Chrome

..and send back the humidifier without the built-in humistat before the 15th, and certainly before the next harvest:

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Hmm, have you contacted inkbird to see what they say?
I havent used the humidity controller but I've used ITC308 and ITC310 units a lot over the last 10 years or so. The one controlling my shed has to be almost 7 years old?

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
I dont use a humididity controller but i trust Titan for the controllers i use. Both going on year 6 with no issues.

And i control the humidity with 70 pint dehumidifiers for the whole house. Keeps the plants and humans under 60% rh.

Second this. Titan's have never failed me on the different ones I've used. Have also used Green Air in the past but I'm not sure they are still around. Also iGS is decent.

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Hmm, have you contacted inkbird to see what they say?
I havent used the humidity controller but I've used ITC308 and ITC310 units a lot over the last 10 years or so. The one controlling my shed has to be almost 7 years old?
It's a year-and-a-half-old and their warranty is 12 months, which is kind of pissing me off, but what really pissed me off about it not the all the zips it ruined last time it did this but I woke up in the middle of the night not knowing wtf was beeping, maybe a break in or a fire I did't know for a few seconds and I sent the cat flying and I grabbed my weapon and I don't like having to wake up like that

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Thanks for the input on the Titans I've always heard good things about them (but then I've heard good things about the inkbird too) I've got an inkbird now monitoring the temperature for my bubble cloner but I think I'll send the new humidifier I just bought to replace the other new one that just died like a minute after the warranty expired back or maybe keep it as the humidity dips pretty low here in the winter and if nothing else I can use the malfunctioning ink bird to monitor a tent

On a side note the humidifier I used for the ten years for my grow in the mid-eighties through 90s I took out of storage and used it up until it failed not too long ago, but it worked for longer than it's replacement that I'm chucking out now, maybe I'm having bad luck but I'm getting a little sick of throwing money at this imported crap

Last edited:
Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
I hear ya, I wont even get I to my cheap dehumidifier issues. I'm surprised about the Inkbird though. They've been used a long time in the homebrewing and growing communities, this is honestly the first I've ever heard of one failing.

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

I know I love the thing when it's working right! since I started controlling my drying environment I haven't had one jar of hay until it malfunctioned the first time about a month ago

I've see what's available, between Growers and reptile Keepers I thought there'd be more choices? the Titan is the clearly best but overkill fot my need, I'll probably just get the all-in-one unit but I am definitely disappointed in the ink bird :/

BloodShot

BloodShot

Starting to think this all-in-one type would be a better option, if I hadn't just bought a new humidifier two weeks ago to replace the other piece of crap humidifier that just died shortly after its warranty also ran out :/ wtf! This stuff isn't getting heavy use either, it's just really poorly manufactured

View attachment 900553

Thinking I might send the other one back and just get something like this and be done with it?

I've got till the 15th apparently to send this one back and order something with a built-in humistat like the one above ?

View attachment 900554

Any input would be appreciated on the way to go here because I'm sick of buying in good faith, then having to continually rebuy this cheap crap because it's designed to fail

How are you controlling your humidity in your drying area?
Had one of the TaoTronics, got about a year out of it before it went kaput.
edit: my water here is also a bit over 200 ppm from the faucet.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
I'm curious how many watts your dehu/humidifiers are? Are you sure you didnt overload the inkbird? There is a little mechanical relay in there and it probably wouldnt take much over voltage to screw it up. Have you had any power surges lately?

Just spitballing here.. Could just be a faulty relay stuck in the on position. You could take it apart and test the relay pretty easily I think

Top Bottom