Need Electrical and HVAC advice for a new 6,500sqft grow

• Thread starter cosmos
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
JJS009

JJS009

We had a load calc done, room by room. Also factoring the flower rooms on/ off every 12 hours.

i would get a second opinion, the lights in the flower rooms being off for 12 hrs/ day does not even come into the equation because the AC load calculation is looking for peak load to be able to handle everything running and still being able to control the space temp.

Just for context I have been in the HVAC trade for several decades.

Tasty Buds

Tasty Buds

I know enough about HVAC to grow.
I was able to get my conditions where I wanted. I learned about some codes. I could grow, that's what I love to do, and that's what I did. My op wasn't nearly as large as you're about to set up, but I ran everything solo. I'd get help to trim. That's it
The LED thing seems to have really changed the game.
Are people yielding 2-3.5 lbs per 1k of light?

Anthem

Anthem

I know enough about HVAC to grow.
I was able to get my conditions where I wanted. I learned about some codes. I could grow, that's what I love to do, and that's what I did. My op wasn't nearly as large as you're about to set up, but I ran everything solo. I'd get help to trim. That's it
The LED thing seems to have really changed the game.
Are people yielding 2-3.5 lbs per 1k of light?
650 watts

smokedareefer

smokedareefer

It is an existing building with municipal water and wells, filtered RO. We haven't quite figured out the best option for raising an lowering the LED... Any suggestions? Growing in Coco
Did this for my small room.
20200331 170625

Tasty Buds

Tasty Buds

It looks like C02 is the way to go in that setup. I hope to be setting up something large myself within the year.

As a breeder, be sure you have access to elite genetics
I want to show you a couple cool pics of genetics I've bred, and super proud of. Takevit with a grain of salt.
A lot of my X's originated with genetics of the 3rd pic.
The 1st, and 2nd are just a couple fan lesves from my Prehistoric Sativa, and my Indica grown indoors. I don't mention yield, as I'm not believed.
These are some of the strains I've got waiting
Anyway, super stable, pest resistant, and cake Good luck!
to grow.
20130531 182341 resized 1
20131115 023108 resized
Cjjjadjb

cosmos

cosmos

It looks like C02 is the way to go in that setup. I hope to be setting up something large myself within the year.

As a breeder, be sure you have access to elite genetics
I want to show you a couple cool pics of genetics I've bred, and super proud of. Takevit with a grain of salt.
A lot of my X's originated with genetics of the 3rd pic.
The 1st, and 2nd are just a couple fan lesves from my Prehistoric Sativa, and my Indica grown indoors. I don't mention yield, as I'm not believed.
These are some of the strains I've got waiting
Anyway, super stable, pest resistant, and cake Good luck!
to grow.View attachment 1105838View attachment 1105839View attachment 1105840
Woah! That's quite the specimen. What was your grow setup? HPS?

cosmos

cosmos

i would get a second opinion, the lights in the flower rooms being off for 12 hrs/ day does not even come into the equation because the AC load calculation is looking for peak load to be able to handle everything running and still being able to control the space temp.

Just for context I have been in the HVAC trade for several decades.
I also used this handy HVAC calculator to calculate the peak load: https://subcooled.com/grow-room-hvac-calculator/

What sort of HVAC setup would you recommend? I've got 10' ceilings and approx. 6590sqft in Oklahoma. The measured load hat I received was 642k BTU/ 53.5 Ton
***EDIT: when they first did the load calc, they assumed that each LED would emit 2,181 BTU. Later, the manufacturer got back to me and gave me an actual value of 2,730 BTU/ LED***

Last edited:
Anthem

Anthem

I also used this handy HVAC calculator to calculate the peak load: https://subcooled.com/grow-room-hvac-calculator/

What sort of HVAC setup would you recommend? I've got 10' ceilings and approx. 6590sqft in Oklahoma. The measured load hat I received was 642k BTU/ 53.5 Ton
***EDIT: when they first did the load calc, they assumed that each LED would emit 2,181 BTU. Later, the manufacturer got back to me and gave me an actual value of 2,730 BTU/ LED***
Whos LED's?

smokedareefer

smokedareefer

Is that unistrut and eye loops? Looks useable! My LED weigh about 30lbs per light. Any more info on the hardware used?
Yea just stuff off the shelf at harbor freight winch cable etc and unistrut odds and ends .

Last edited:
Porky1982

Porky1982

This is a business. The startup costs for legal growing on the business side are much larger than hobby.....
Yeah i knew that but from your original post it seems as though you haven't even grown before.
Just seems a large outlay for a business/industry you have no experience with.

Tasty Buds

Tasty Buds

Woah! That's quite the specimen. What was your grow setup? HPS?
Yes. T5 for clones, MH for 1 week, Veg under HPS for 1 week, Flip at 2 weeks. Harvest every 4-5 weeks, and new moms every 6 weeks.
Grow medium rockwool blocks, into rockwool croutons, in 1.5 gal containers.
10 plants per table (weakest gets tossed), and 4 heads per plant. Double, or triple trellis.
If ya need anything, don't hesitate

cosmos

cosmos

Yeah i knew that but from your original post it seems as though you haven't even grown before.
Just seems a large outlay for a business/industry you have no experience with.
Yes, it is daunting to join into a new industry, I completely agree. But it's always like this with business for me. It's the chicken and the egg argument. I don't have the luxury of going back in time and hobby growing in my basement! I intend to join the industry and learn as I go, and fortunately have the financial backing to do so.

I appreciate you looking out and am here for any and all advice from seasoned vets and amateur growers. I respect your time and the effort that has been placed into learning the craft :)

Porky1982

Porky1982

Yes, it is daunting to join into a new industry, I completely agree. But it's always like this with business for me. It's the chicken and the egg argument. I don't have the luxury of going back in time and hobby growing in my basement! I intend to join the industry and learn as I go, and fortunately have the financial backing to do so.

I appreciate you looking out and am here for any and all advice from seasoned vets and amateur growers. I respect your time and the effort that has been placed into learning the craft :)
All the best with it mate. Hopefully in a few months time ya post a massive wherehouse full of top quality buds.
The post above suggests to me you are going cheap on your light source which personally for such a large outlay i think is a bad idea.
Quality lights are a big factor in production of quality buds which in a commercial setting would be considered a must.
Just be careful with Chinese knockoff products as they usually lie about their quality and warranty.

Porky1982

Porky1982

My business partners are Chinese and our other business sources products from China for import and distribution. The LEDs bare no brand, but are equipped with Samsung LED and Osram drivers.
Are your business partners linked to a lighting company???

cosmos

cosmos

All the best with it mate. Hopefully in a few months time ya post a massive wherehouse full of top quality buds.
The post above suggests to me you are going cheap on your light source which personally for such a large outlay i think is a bad idea.
Quality lights are a big factor in production of quality buds which in a commercial setting would be considered a must.
Just be careful with Chinese knockoff products as they usually lie about their quality and warranty.
Are your business partners linked to a lighting company???
My main job is working with a team in China that sources products directly from their manufacturers by specification and budget. We are not directly tied to the lighting company, but I do have "boots on the ground" in China and a sourcing team that I trust year round. We have tested the LEDs prior to bulk purchase.

Latest posts

Top Bottom