Need Help Diagnosing Seedlings In Coco

• Thread starter splicendice
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

splicendice

Hey all! New to the forum, got a question about these girls. Larger seedlings are at day 18 from germination. I'm growing in Canna Coco, using their guidelines. RH around 25%, temp is around 74. Using LED lights.

My problem is the leaves seem yellowed, dry, and curling. Is this due to underwatering? I give them about half a cupful every night and the soil is still pretty moist just before watering. I've included pictures from the last 3 days. Thanks for the help.

Need help diagnosing seedlings in coco
Need help diagnosing seedlings in coco 2
Need help diagnosing seedlings in coco 3
Seraphine

Seraphine

I don’t think that’s enough water. Water until you get a decent amount of runoff say 2O% or 30% of what you’re putting in is coming out. That prevents salt build up and locking out nutrients. Coco is supposed to stay damp (not soaking wet but not dry). Also what are you pHing too? Are you using canna nutes too?

S

splicendice

Hey Seraphine, yes I'm using coco nutrients. I'm getting some runoff, but probably not 20% of what I pour in. Still waiting on my pH meter in the mail. Should be here tomorrow.

Seraphine

Seraphine

How much are you feeding? I am using canna a and b for the first time and I am not a big fan of the line. I thought I would like his line because it’s only two bottles but I don’t like the lack of control over the micronutrients and you end up going through a bottle a lot faster. So I am either switching back to GH flora series or trying Jacks.

Chrisptreats

Chrisptreats

Hey all! New to the forum, got a question about these girls. Larger seedlings are at day 18 from germination. I'm growing in Canna Coco, using their guidelines. RH around 25%, temp is around 74. Using LED lights.

My problem is the leaves seem yellowed, dry, and curling. Is this due to underwatering? I give them about half a cupful every night and the soil is still pretty moist just before watering. I've included pictures from the last 3 days. Thanks for the help.
Are you altering the ph at all? When using just A/b, it will lower your ph levels. Depending on the starting ph of your water, you likely may need to raise the ph for proper nitrogen intake.

S

splicendice

The amount of nutrients I'm using is the "vegetative phase 1" of the Canna Coco nutrient table. They have a grow guide calculator that I use, plugging in the EC value of the water I'm using and going from there. So it's Coco A+B, rhizozym, and cannazym. Seraphine: are you making sure to add in A and B separately to the water? If you mix them before they become dissolved in your reservoir they'll end up forming an insoluble salt which won't be taken up by your plant's root system. Chrisptreats: yes I'm altering my pH. I'm getting a pH of around 6.3 when I add them all in, and I find I have to end up lowering my pH. Right now I have it at 5.9, but I'm going to see if I can get better results bringing it down to 5.6. I'll give your grow guide a shot during my next grow, so thanks for the info!

S

splicendice

PS. Many people have told me it could be an issue with having an RH at 25-30%. What are your thoughts on this?

OldManRiver

OldManRiver

Looks like overwatering to me. The downward curled leaves are pretty classic, as is the discoloration.

stanknkatz

stanknkatz

I've always been a firm believer in using alaskan fish oil on seedlings the first couple of weeks. It's really hard to over-nute them with it. Then ease into the nute regime. Remember. some strains are picky and like their meals just so.
Also, even tho they're seedlings, it damn near impossible to over water in coco. It really should be moist all the time.

E

Elevated

Honestly, all the technical stuff is important with coco is crucial. I personally start in Rio Coco start er blocks . These plants are very tiny and roots probably not too established. This is delicate time. I agree with Old Man looks like over watering. Talking about nutrients etc. Is a bit early, these seem like seedling just getting established. Try to skip day and feel moisture. Those shouldn't drink a cup a night yet, one may handle the water but others need some time.

MeanGreen420

MeanGreen420

If your using full 340 watt on that hlg fixture you need turn it down. I had to lower to 150 watt at around 24 inches that early in veg. Have a great day!!

S

splicendice

I definitely had pH issues at first, so I'm gonna stick to my routine of feeding them with the newly pH'd nutrient solution and see if anything changes within a week. If not, I'll water them less, but I get a lot of conflicting statements about how much I should be watering these plants. Thanks guys for all the tips. Hard to judge who is right or wrong at this point being such a novice grower.

Top Bottom