Need help diagnosing the problem

• Thread starter GardenWeasel77
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
GardenWeasel77

GardenWeasel77

So a little about my grow. I was determined to complete this grow without any sort of ventilation because the noise makes it hard for me to sleep. It was an experiment which I believe may have failed.

I transplanted healthy looking seedlings into three gallon fabric pots 8 days ago. The were doing very well you until two days ago. I began to see rust spots on one of my plants and fed it cal mag assuming it was calcium deficient.

By yesterday the leaves towards the bottom had become splotchy and purple and we're twisted and curled upwards. I noticed tiny black bugs around my pots which I think are fungus gnats.

I now think that might be the cause however the leaves look different then pictures I see online when I google fungal gnats symptoms.

The leaves are crispy and dry and smell like dried cannabis when I open the tent. I wonder if it's possible these symptoms might be from heat stress or possibly a combination of that and gnats.

I've attached some pics. Any feedback would be much appreciated.

GardenWeasel77

GardenWeasel77

Here are some pics. I forgot to upload in my initial comment.

IMG 20210423 160547312
IMG 20210423 160537738
IMG 20210423 130827816 HDR
IMG 20210423 130753783 HDR
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Looks like on top of other things ya cooked with the light.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Remove the damaged leaves, back the light up and water the pot to moisten the entire media. Raise the humidity if you can... if not no worries and you will need air exchange both to remove heat and replenish co2.

Download this app and adjust lights to about 15-20k lux until they recover.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

That's what I was thinking but wouldn't the top leaves turn brown and dry out first instead of the lower leaves? Thanks for the feedback!
I'm not talking about the bottom leaves... see how the top ones are folding like a taco? V shipped not flat... thats to reduce light capture.

Bugs, watering and tenls are also likely contributing factors that are responsible for the rest... add to that light stress and yeah you can see the result

growsince79

growsince79

So a little about my grow. I was determined to complete this grow without any sort of ventilation because the noise makes it hard for me to sleep. It was an experiment which I believe may have failed.

I transplanted healthy looking seedlings into three gallon fabric pots 8 days ago. The were doing very well you until two days ago. I began to see rust spots on one of my plants and fed it cal mag assuming it was calcium deficient.

By yesterday the leaves towards the bottom had become splotchy and purple and we're twisted and curled upwards. I noticed tiny black bugs around my pots which I think are fungus gnats.

I now think that might be the cause however the leaves look different then pictures I see online when I google fungal gnats symptoms.

The leaves are crispy and dry and smell like dried cannabis when I open the tent. I wonder if it's possible these symptoms might be from heat stress or possibly a combination of that and gnats.

I've attached some pics. Any feedback would be much appreciated.
Perfect -its doing what plants without ventilation do.

TSD

TSD

So you think this is an airflow problem and not pests or anything?
They need CO2 to live, once they use what is in the tent, they basically can't function... we can't breathe in a sealed room once the oxygen runs out, same deal. Fungus gnats don't generally mess with the leaves, they lay eggs in moist soil and the larvae feed on decaying matter or Fungus in the soil, the adults only live a few days. Letting the soil dry out and placing a few sticky traps helps keep them at bay... I have a ton of houseplants and they are unfortunately ever present, but they don't seem to bother much... I keep them away from the ladies as best I can, but there's always a few floating around. Looks like you may have some other type of issue as well though, definitely light stress, possibly something else from the look of those leaves... though it could just be from not having air to function. You'll have to MacGyver something that allows the ladies air and you to sleep.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

They need CO2 to live, once they use what is in the tent, they basically can't function... we can't breathe in a sealed room once the oxygen runs out, same deal. Fungus gnats don't generally mess with the leaves, they lay eggs in moist soil and the larvae feed on decaying matter or Fungus in the soil, the adults only live a few days. Letting the soil dry out and placing a few sticky traps helps keep them at bay... I have a ton of houseplants and they are unfortunately ever present, but they don't seem to bother much... I keep them away from the ladies as best I can, but there's always a few floating around. Looks like you may have some other type of issue as well though, definitely light stress, possibly something else from the look of those leaves... though it could just be from not having air to function. You'll have to MacGyver something that allows the ladies air and you to sleep.
100%

GardenWeasel77

GardenWeasel77

Intereting. I have been keeping the tent door open the past 3 days. But you thinks all these problems could be from a lack of co2. Not arguing. Just wanted to clarify.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Intereting. I have been keeping the tent door open the past 3 days. But you thinks all these problems could be from a lack of co2. Not arguing. Just wanted to clarify.
I think they are just trying to make it clear that it will be an issue. I 100% agree with that.

Could low co2 cause those issues... absolutely once co2 gets below 300ppm photosynthesis is affected and that means less nutrient up take, less transpiration which will prevent the leaves from cooling, basically will shut the plant down completely and it will start to die.

Co2 has a huge influence on photosynthesis and that's why ppl supplement it.

Not to mention the massive humidity issues you will encounter and likely bacterial and or fungal infections as a result.

Honestly I think everyone is trying to help even if the tone through text may not seem like it. It's hard to watch someone make a mistake you know will absolutely hurt thier grow.

But I've learned myself the hard way many times because I have the need to learn first hand. So if your set on it I would just prepare for some I told ya so's and accept that humbly. But after you will atleast have first hand knowledge that you are confident about.

Sometimes we need to learn the hard way... and that's OK. Just can be hard to watch for those who have it.

RealizedReal000

RealizedReal000

I’ve tried not using ventilation with my first grow not knowing anything. Eventually they just all died because they couldn’t breath pretty much. I thought it was a nutrient issue and technically it was. You need fans and air exchange. What I do now is I manually open and close the side screened flaps at light on and off. As well as putting my exhaust fan on the light timer. Cause if I left it on my tent would look like a deflated balloon without those flaps open. Lol

TSD

TSD

No it looks like you have some other issues as well, but that's probably exacerbating the problem and making them more vulnerable to other issues like pests. Your environment is your number one priority. Doesn't have to be perfect, but they need air exchange, they need humidity in the air, they need a decent temperature.... Hard to say exactly from afar, you can make anything work if you put the effort in... mine are in a closet presently. 🤷‍♀️

Top Bottom