Need help harvesting pollen from multiple males

• Thread starter Mercury
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Mercury

Mercury

Hello I'm not new to growing but I have a lot of crosses I plan on making, I have the males/females all identified of many different strains and know what I want to cross, I know a lot of people only do one male at a time and just do an open room, but I need to cross Strain x Strain for many different strains

How can I harvest pollen from 10+ different males without contaminating the other? I have a second room I can grow in but its RIGHT next to the room the females would be in...

Some of the males are quite large and some are more medium/small as well...

Really could use some ideas or insight to what I can do here to successfully make all the crosses the right way, I absolutely cannot have the wrong pollen hitting any of a female that is meant for a specific cross

I planned on spraying each female down well after pollinating with water to neutralize any leftovers, as I understand once the pollen touches the pistil the deed is done, is this correct or will I need to wait X amount of time before spaying them down and returning them to the flowering room?

Thanks

Last edited:
Grownsince95

Grownsince95

❤🌱❤🤘😁✌
Supporter
I pollinate in the next room. A spray bottle of water is your best friend, no problems. You can take cuts from each plant in a cup of water once the sacs form but not open and lean it over a paper plate or make a paper "dog cone" like I do. In very still air you will be surprised how the pollen just falls straight down. It's very easy to collect with a paintbrush once it's on the paper 👍

20201207 160344
20201207 160110
20201206 200155
20201207 160709

Dr.B

Dr.B

I'm sorry but I burst out laughing when I read the title of this thread. 🤣🤣🤣

Mercury

Mercury

I pollinate in the next room. A spray bottle of water is your best friend, no problems. You can take cuts from each plant in a cup of water once the sacs form but not open and lean it over a paper plate or make a paper "dog cone" like I do. In very still air you will be surprised how the pollen just falls straight down. It's very easy to collect with a paintbrush once it's on the paper 👍

View attachment 1080679View attachment 1080680View attachment 1080681View attachment 1080682
Do you mean the room you grow the males in is right next to the other one or just the room you pollinate in? I feel like if I grew in the room right next door they would contaminate the main room...

Grownsince95

Grownsince95

❤🌱❤🤘😁✌
Supporter
Do you mean the room you grow the males in is right next to the other one or just the room you pollinate in? I feel like if I grew in the room right next door they would contaminate the main room...
I do one male. He goes from the grow room to the spare room as soon as he shows his sacs.

Mercury

Mercury

I'm sorry but I burst out laughing when I read the title of this thread. 🤣🤣🤣
I mean I guess you can look at it that way lol, but its on a plant growing forum in the breeding section...

Mercury

Mercury

I do one male. He goes from the grow room to the spare room as soon as he shows his sacs.

And you haven't had any problems with unwanted pollination flowing into the main room? I would have a bunch of male plants in the second room and when I mean right next to it I mean the doors are only a few feet apart, obviously I could be as careful as possible about when I go in and out and ect. but I've heard pollen can go through walls and such?

Grownsince95

Grownsince95

❤🌱❤🤘😁✌
Supporter
And you haven't had any problems with unwanted pollination flowing into the main room? I would have a bunch of male plants in the second room and when I mean right next to it I mean the doors are only a few feet apart, obviously I could be as careful as possible about when I go in and out and ect. but I've heard pollen can go through walls and such?
Through walls? You're joking right? 🙃

Mercury

Mercury

Through walls? You're joking right? 🙃
No... I mean obviously not through solid material but I mean if the room wasn't 100% completely full proof sealed it can go through the tiniest of cracks and such

Just trying to get the best idea of how to go about it and be sure it won't go wrong because it would be really upsetting to have this batch of seedstock I'm making be contaminated with the wrong pollen and a bunch of random cross seeds instead of the actual cross

Mercury

Mercury

I guess maybe I will just seal up the room best as possible and flower the males in it before I even begin flowering the other room, spray down the plants/room well before I begin flowering the females after collecting the pollen

Mercury

Mercury

Is something funny about my post? lol pollen is very small particles....

Trying to be a breeder and working with what I have for now until I get a more legitimate set up, so yeah it's important it works as intended..

Top Bottom