Need help identifying small bugs. And what actions needed!..

• Thread starter Sewagefroot
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Sewagefroot

Sewagefroot

I noticed these microscopic white bugs in the video when I was watering. I hadn't noticed them up to this point. I do not notice any leaf problems, and the girls all look healthy. So, I would like to identify this early, and eradicate if necessary. Any help is greatly appreciated. I have a video, up close of the bugs. And a picture of the girls.

Need help identifying small bugs and what actions needed
Edinburgh

Edinburgh

I have must have said this 100 times here, go to your local hardware store pick up a bag of de earth powder, let your topsoil dry, sprinkle around tour plants, you can lighley dust you fans if there chewing them, wait 72 hours flush check ph and you should be good, de earth will kill any bug with an exoskeleton pronto and organic, you do not want to smoke pesticide, this has allways worked for me even with thrips, put a sticky pad in each of your pots you may be able to catch them early, good luck.

Sewagefroot

Sewagefroot

I assumed they were springtails. I was just wanting some verification..They do not seem to be causing any problems, I just happened to notice them floating around in my water. Some say they are beneficial to my organic soil, I've read contrary to that also..If they are not causing a problem, I'd just assume leave them be. But I'd also rather not be reacting to a problem and instead would rather prevent. I can throw some de on top or some sand. I didn't want to throw anything harsh on the ladies if I don't have to.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I assumed they were springtails. I was just wanting some verification..They do not seem to be causing any problems, I just happened to notice them floating around in my water. Some say they are beneficial to my organic soil, I've read contrary to that also..If they are not causing a problem, I'd just assume leave them be. But I'd also rather not be reacting to a problem and instead would rather prevent. I can throw some de on top or some sand. I didn't want to throw anything harsh on the ladies if I don't have to.

Springtails are resistant to pesticides anyway. And de didnt hurt them much for me. But they are only going to eat rotting material and a good dry cycle should keep them in check. I get them every winter. If i clean the leaves away from the house in fall i get less or no springtails. They live in those leaf piles under the snow.

Dbear180

Dbear180

Springtails are resistant to pesticides anyway. And de didnt hurt them much for me. But they are only going to eat rotting material and a good dry cycle should keep them in check. I get them every winter. If i clean the leaves away from the house in fall i get less or no springtails. They live in those leaf piles under the snow.

Bro super duper resistant, they laughed in my face when I hit them with a triple Promis drench lol. Felt pretty silly when I finally identified them as springtails & not root aphids. Got a lil over excited when I saw so many other people having problems with root aphids @ that same time & jumped the gun.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Bro super duper resistant, they laughed in my face when I hit them with a triple Promis drench lol. Felt pretty silly when I finally identified them as springtails & not root aphids. Got a lil over excited when I saw so many other people having problems with root aphids @ that same time & jumped the gun.

Oh I was new when i first got them. Plenty of stress at the time.

And then the warnings of root aphids when i had the gnat infestation for the first time. I must have examined those sticky cards 100x looking for different shaped bugs.

Dbear180

Dbear180

Oh I was new when i first got them. Plenty of stress at the time.

And then the warnings of root aphids when i had the gnat infestation for the first time. I must have examined those sticky cards 100x looking for different shaped bugs.

Ohhhhh the not quite so good old days lol 🤣

Sewagefroot

Sewagefroot

I am super happy to get confirmation they are springtails. I do have a nice pile of leaves out front. I guess I will start cleaning my leaf piles from now on. But I have plenty of dead material for them to eat on. I do compost teas, have compost amendments, and also use fish shit and mykos, so there are plenty of decaying things for them to eat. I water typically every other day. I usually wait until the droop a little before I water. Should I start only watering the ones that are drooping? I figured if two need water they all need it. I may need to start letting them get drier, I suppose.

Top Bottom