Need help identifying this infestation

• Thread starter pink elephants
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
P

pink elephants

Hello All,

Over the last few weeks I've had an infestation of bugs on one of my plants. At first it wasn't terrible, and spraying the plants with SAFER insecticidal soap seemed to have done the job. Now over the last week, these bugs have increased their presence about 100 fold. Here are a few pics:

Photo0134.jpg

Photo0138.jpg

Photo0140.jpg

Under the microscope they look like clear beetles, and they don't seem to be going after the buds, just leaves. Any idea what these things are and how to keep them away?

hiboy

hiboy

wierd looking suckers. def. not mites or thrips, \
your probably able to get some organic spray for them, i doubt you need anything heavy duty. i like to neem oil heavy, drown the fockers.

M

mellokitty

if i have to go the spray route, i'm partial to pokon (<-pyrethrin-based). i use a natural cleaner called 'pink solution' (<-coconut tallow-based) which sounds weird but it says right in the 'other uses' section of the instructions that it's effective, safe, aphid control (never had to inside, but my roses actually seem to like it). of safer's products i'm more partial to 'end-all' (the concentrate, not the readymade spray. they put *something* in the spray that my plants never like) which is essentially the insecticide soap without the soap part.
for an infestation like this, whatever method you choose, treat them once and then treat them again a few days later to kill what's hatched in those few days (a lot of pest eggs are immune to a lot of sprays) AND any survivors. you want to be fairly vigilant about this (but!! too many applications of safers during flower WILL affect your final product so be careful. you only want to apply every few days until you're sure they're gone, eggs and all, and then be DONE with it. also with safers i would rinse them off after a day or so between applications) - sort of like the superbug theory, any *adults that don't die during your first application are the strong ones in the population and will leave behind higher-resistance offspring (hence the population explosion in the aftermath, right?)
good luck to you. we all need it when nature bites back.:rain

H

-hydrofarmer-

aphids spray with stuff called avid it only needs to be sprayed twice in ur grow rooms and bugs are gone just approved by the FDA so its hard to get

M

mellokitty

avid is some pretty last-resort poison to be recommending for aphids, isn't it?
(hint: ecotoxicity starts at 0.34 ppbillion). it certainly wouldn't be my *first choice.

see me ranting about avid at:

lazarus718

lazarus718

If your plant is sturdy enough to handle a stream of water I would take it outside and hose it down...you'll knock off a ton of those buggers. Then treat it with your chosen aphid killer. And you do want to get rid of them, they suck the juices out of your plants.

B

BoCo Buds

That's a pretty big population... but if you want a 'soft' approach... give hort oil and insecticidal soaps a try.

Talking total drench/soak... every part of the plant. GL!

Top Bottom