Need help on how to prolong flowering stage, during cold temps!!!

• Thread starter DilyanM
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
DilyanM

DilyanM

Hello there,

I am growing in a greenhouse in soil. Last few weeks temps dropped down to low 30s (F). I am able to keep them somewhat warm and happy during the night, with propane heaters..so temps don`t go into the freezing zone. During the day, if it is sunny enough temps get to 70-75(F). By the "calendar" flowers are entering in their week 7 of flowering. I say by the "calendar" because INMO they have slowed down their growth tremendously and in reality they look like they are in week 4-5 , on top of that I water/feed them every other day , with little amounts since they don`t uptake as much. As you can tell by the pictures some of the flowers have started to "close" and "finish" , even though they are still small and not fully developed. My question is : Is there are a nutritional additive I can feed them with, which will extend their life cycle and let them put on some "weight" before finishing ? I assume the cold had stressed them a lot and they just want to finish/close before they "die" . I also have lowered the PK dosage , since that will cause them to close even quicker.

Thank you

Need help on how to prolong flowering stage during cold temps
Need help on how to prolong flowering stage during cold temps 2
Need help on how to prolong flowering stage during cold temps 3
Need help on how to prolong flowering stage during cold temps 4
PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Hello there,

I am growing in a greenhouse in soil. Last few weeks temps dropped down to low 30s (F). I am able to keep them somewhat warm and happy during the night, with propane heaters..so temps don`t go into the freezing zone. During the day, if it is sunny enough temps get to 70-75(F). By the "calendar" flowers are entering in their week 7 of flowering. I say by the "calendar" because INMO they have slowed down their growth tremendously and in reality they look like they are in week 4-5 , on top of that I water/feed them every other day , with little amounts since they don`t uptake as much. As you can tell by the pictures some of the flowers have started to "close" and "finish" , even though they are still small and not fully developed. My question is : Is there are a nutritional additive I can feed them with, which will extend their life cycle and let them put on some "weight" before finishing ? I assume the cold had stressed them a lot and they just want to finish/close before they "die" . I also have lowered the PK dosage , since that will cause them to close even quicker.

Thank you
You may have stunted them with too much feed in low temperature's. You need a jeweler's loupe to look at you're trichomes for readiness. They look frosty albeit small, you still may get a good smoke off them

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

All the stigmas are still white. I think if they had the magic additive of heat, they'd bounce back.

At 50 F (10 C) biochemical reactions slow to a crawl. You get essentially no growth in plants or microorganisms. With every 10 F (5.5 C) increase in temperature, growth and activity doubles. If you can add heat for another month or so, you could probably get a normal harvest. You will probably have some low humidity issues to deal with if you increase temperatures, but there's no other remedy than increasing temperatures.

I had a grow in a room I framed in an uninsulated attic. The room, itself, was insulated with R-13, but the only heat source was the 1000W HID light. During lights-on,which was at night for this grow room, the temperatures were about 80 F (27 C). During lights-off (during daytime, outside the grow) the temperatures dropped to about 50 F. Flower maturity took about 2-3 weeks longer than it would have, if I was able to properly heat the grow during lights-out.

dreamnfox

dreamnfox

All the stigmas are still white. I think if they had the magic additive of heat, they'd bounce back.

At 50 F (10 C) biochemical reactions slow to a crawl. You get essentially no growth in plants or microorganisms. With every 10 F (5.5 C) increase in temperature, growth and activity doubles. If you can add heat for another month or so, you could probably get a normal harvest. You will probably have some low humidity issues to deal with if you increase temperatures, but there's no other remedy than increasing temperatures.

I had a grow in a room I framed in an uninsulated attic. The room, itself, was insulated with R-13, but the only heat source was the 1000W HID light. During lights-on,which was at night for this grow room, the temperatures were about 80 F (27 C). During lights-off (during daytime, outside the grow) the temperatures dropped to about 50 F. Flower maturity took about 2-3 weeks longer than it would have, if I was able to properly heat the grow during lights-out.
I am trying this right now, the tent is in my garage, lights on its around 70deg lights off it gets down to 50. its really just an experiment to see if i can grow at all during the winter months. They are in the first week of flower and definitely seeing growth on the plants

DilyanM

DilyanM

Thanks for the replies. Weather will warm up in the next few days, hopefully that brings them back. They really dont look bad, it just that they had slowed down a lot and don't absorb nutrients as fast. I will ease off the food a little bit until temps go up. My run off was around 3.0 EC given I haven`t fed them too much lately. I don`t mind waiting for them an extra week or two as long as they restart the growing process.

Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
Do you supplemental lighting? If not, 10 hours of rather weak sunlight this time of year might not be helping matters. Just two cents.

DilyanM

DilyanM

I don`t have any lights. I agree with you, this is something I will invest in asap. Weather will get back to mid 60s in my area..so I am looking forward to it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom