Need Help With First Time Rdwc - 12 Site 18 Gal

• Thread starter Vin Cheisel
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Vin Cheisel

Vin Cheisel

Hello community, new member and first time post because I desperately need help. Very experienced cocoa grower and had to go for it. I have some idea what I did wrong but hoping the pros out there will chime in and set me straight. Thinking it is either the water temp is about 10 degrees too hot and/or I drowned them. Pulled the girls right out of the EZ Clone and into Grow Stones. They were about 12" with 12"-18" roots when I put them in and the stalk was only about 3" from the bottom of the net pot for stability. Had the water level about 2" above the bottom until the roots start coming out then lowered level to the bottom of net pot. Here's the breakdown...
12 sites
18 gal totes
45 gal reservoir
1100 CFH air pump 2- 8" Air Discs in res
1700 CFH air pump with 12 air loops for sites
3" main reduced to 2" through sites
3 - 1200 gph pumps 1 pump per 4 site loop
no chiller yet
6 - 1000 watt MH XXXL 8" with pusher and pull fans 2 sites under each light.
The pictures should tell you the rest. Thanks in advance for any input.

Need help with first time rdwc   12 site 18 gal
Need help with first time rdwc   12 site 18 gal 2
Need help with first time rdwc   12 site 18 gal 2
Need help with first time rdwc   12 site 18 gal 3
Need help with first time rdwc   12 site 18 gal 4
Need help with first time rdwc   12 site 18 gal 5
Need help with first time rdwc   12 site 18 gal 6
Need help with first time rdwc   12 site 18 gal 7
Need help with first time rdwc   12 site 18 gal 8
Need help with first time rdwc   12 site 18 gal 9
Need help with first time rdwc   12 site 18 gal 10

ken dog

ken dog

Your EC is too high... Should be at .2 or .3.
Your pH is too low... should be 6.2, or 6.1.
Your temperature is too high... Should be 69 or 70.

ken dog

ken dog

Yeah, it was a good start with the water levels just right... Planting just right... And the roots started going down into the water just right.
However, the OP is correct when he says he over watered it, because there simply is not enough dissolved oxygen in that water.

UCMENOW

UCMENOW

Looks as though R Dawg and KenD have you pointed in the proper direction. Some observations:

1) Aeration rate is too high causing nutrient/mineral precipitation and destabilizing the solution
2) Water temps too high, inviting pathogens and problems
3) Water flow is far too high. Will become an issue once roots occupy the mods. Will lend to solution imbalances in the system.
4) EC is far too high. This causes stagnation of uptake leading to dehydration, deficiencies and root distress. Once nutrient stagnates root exudate accumulates combining with high water temps and lends to what you're now experiencing.

How to fix:

1) Reduce aeration to approx 1 liter/minute/gallon
2) chill solution to 65-68F or use UC Roots at no less than 5-7 mils per gallon
3) reduce flow in system to a more subtle current to avoid future issues
4) reduce EC to approx 0.2-0.3

Remove all dead and dying roots. Possibly start new plants as these will likely take too long to recover. You've over built your system and are having problems as a result. More is definitely not always (actually seldomly) better in water culture. Check the link below.

http://cch2o.com/general-recommendations/

UCPOWER1986

UCPOWER1986

Looks as though R Dawg and KenD have you pointed in the proper direction. Some observations:

1) Aeration rate is too high causing nutrient/mineral precipitation and destabilizing the solution
2) Water temps too high, inviting pathogens and problems
3) Water flow is far too high. Will become an issue once roots occupy the mods. Will lend to solution imbalances in the system.
4) EC is far too high. This causes stagnation of uptake leading to dehydration, deficiencies and root distress. Once nutrient stagnates root exudate accumulates combining with high water temps and lends to what you're now experiencing.

How to fix:

1) Reduce aeration to approx 1 liter/minute/gallon
2) chill solution to 65-68F or use UC Roots at no less than 5-7 mils per gallon
3) reduce flow in system to a more subtle current to avoid future issues
4) reduce EC to approx 0.2-0.3

Remove all dead and dying roots. Possibly start new plants as these will likely take too long to recover. You've over built your system and are having problems as a result. More is definitely not always (actually seldomly) better in water culture. Check the link below.

http://cch2o.com/general-recommendations/
TRUTH RIGHT HERE...........!! Good Shit

All4freedumb

All4freedumb

Hello community, new member and first time post because I desperately need help. Very experienced cocoa grower and had to go for it. I have some idea what I did wrong but hoping the pros out there will chime in and set me straight. Thinking it is either the water temp is about 10 degrees too hot and/or I drowned them. Pulled the girls right out of the EZ Clone and into Grow Stones. They were about 12" with 12"-18" roots when I put them in and the stalk was only about 3" from the bottom of the net pot for stability. Had the water level about 2" above the bottom until the roots start coming out then lowered level to the bottom of net pot. Here's the breakdown...
12 sites
18 gal totes
45 gal reservoir
1100 CFH air pump 2- 8" Air Discs in res
1700 CFH air pump with 12 air loops for sites
3" main reduced to 2" through sites
3 - 1200 gph pumps 1 pump per 4 site loop
no chiller yet
6 - 1000 watt MH XXXL 8" with pusher and pull fans 2 sites under each light.
The pictures should tell you the rest. Thanks in advance for any input.
What's up brotha, welcome to the farm, or at least as a water culture poster. Props to you for going for it and making a switch, I know how scary and tough that can be. I also want to credit you for speaking up and asking for help.
You have already received some great info that will take you to a successful grow. Just remember, in water culture esspecially, to keep it simple. With that I mean, keep everything simple. I have seen, without a doubt, more successful grows, in water culture, keeping everything very soft and slow vs pushing the system. You WILL get to the point of pushing that system, just first get used to keeping your roots submerged.
I can tell you know your stuff and have everything it takes to rock water culture. Please don't get discouraged and quit, please know that it would be just as bad to us here on the farm if you disappear without showing us your restart and your future success. In my life I have seen some of the best things come from those that failed once or twice. I have a feeling that you are one of those. Who knows, we might be learning something about water culture from you not to long from now.
Gather yourself, yourthoughts and take the above advice from the fellow farmers above me. Don't hesitate to ask more as you restart and push through your first run. You got this man! I for one am behind you. Have a fun and safe 4th.

ken dog

ken dog

Yes, good posts here:)... I was on my way to work this morning and only got a glimpse of the first pictures of the parameter monitors and the root rot... if I could edit my second post, I would take out my aeration comment.

smokedareefer

smokedareefer

absolutely you also need to have air stones in each tub

I feel that statement could be argued.

There's been growers running rdwc with no air stones and doing all right

smokedareefer

smokedareefer

Could still be argued.

I don't think the lack of air stones has anything to do with the problem

All4freedumb

All4freedumb

I feel that statement could be argued.

There's been growers running rdwc with no air stones and doing all right
True but I would argue that those doing so are running a system with some sort of DO in each module. A few years back I tinkered with my UC and added a pump directly from my chiller dumping water, like a waterfall effect, into each module. I ditched my airstones for a run and had no issues whatsoever. Without that waterfall effect in each module, creating more DO, my money would be on more problems than not.

From what I read the op is running air in each module. Also from what I read I think he is running 1200 pump per site, each site being 45gal. I think his/her water movement is ok. I have ran multiple UC systems to one epicenter in the past with no issues, I believe that's what he is doing with this homemade version.

I would advise a waterfall effect into each of those modules. Although I don't think air or water movement is your issue here, yet. As those modules fill with roots that's could be another story. Water temps, high EC, low humidity and light stress are the main factors to address here, as been done. Anything else will show once those basics are down. I'm going to hope the op has checked his water in each module for consistency and has played with it to get to know his flow rate. That's part of the fun of DYI. Hours of testing and playing..

I have to say, after my first run using my UC I never complained about the price. I would highly recommend, new water culture growers esspecially, to bite the bullet and grab a system that's been tried and tested. The guys at Current Culture have the best support system out there I am sure that ANYONE that follows their simple advice and restrains from doing things their way will have success. As we get to know water culture we can play around more and more. I think the best advice here on the farm for the majority is to keep things simple and intact on a fully functioning system. KISS...
This is a great community that has served me well.

smokedareefer

smokedareefer

" I have to say, after my first run using my UC I never complained aboutthe price. I would highly recommend, new water culture growersesspecially,to bite the bullet and grab a system that's been tried and tested. "

I see you already have a blue lab,

After the current culture, Imo, the next purchase should be some kind of a chiller.

palm eezy

palm eezy

Need lightproofing & a chiller. No question about those items. Water quality might be the source of it all, too.

I like the plumbing. I, too, have my pumps piped out nice & big.

Latest posts

Top Bottom