Need help with my clones!

• Thread starter Cowabunga1998
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
TSD

TSD

Mine always seem to take around 10 days, and it's hard to be patient. I usually take the dome off once a day long enough for a light misting and air exchange. I use pods though, never tried the rockwool. I know a lot of people do 24 hours of light, but I usually go 20 to give them a rest... don't know if that's recommended, but works for me. 🤷‍♀️

TSD

TSD

The op left all the leaves and even branches on. I could have made 3 clones from the first pic.
Some people like to make massive clones... I find more success cutting at the crotch of a branch and keeping them small... to each thier own. Cloning is way more high tech than when I first learned how to do it lol.

growsince79

growsince79

Some people like to make massive clones... I find more success cutting at the crotch of a branch and keeping them small... to each thier own. Cloning is way more high tech than when I first learned how to do it lol.
LOL at high tech. I just put it straight into solo cup of cocoloco with baggie on top. No nute burn, perfect clone in 8-10 days.

TSD

TSD

LOL at high tech. I just put it straight into solo cup of cocoloco with baggie on top. No nute burn, perfect clone in 8-10 days.
I use good old fashioned peat pods, I put them on a rack with the with a small light, usually a lava light base, underneath for warmth, and I put a slate shingle in the tray. This is how I was taught by an old timer and when I do clone I rarely lose any. More than one way to skin a cat as they say... I've seen people hack off cuttings and chuck them in water on the windowsill and get them to take root.

Dubberz19

Dubberz19

This is day 8 in rock wool cubes on 4 cuttings , 24/7 , no roots , slight slight color change but not much at all, tried taking dome off after day 4/5 and two really really started to wilt so I put it back on and one of the leaves raised back up, this is my first go, asking for help/advise. Do I feed them? Start exposing them outside the dome, definitely think I over saturated the plugs the first few days could that be my issue w the roots taking so long?
Let them dry out. The only water they really need is from the condensation from the humidity dome. Also, a heat mat.

growsince79

growsince79

I use good old fashioned peat pods, I put them on a rack with the with a small light, usually a lava light base, underneath for warmth, and I put a slate shingle in the tray. This is how I was taught by an old timer and when I do clone I rarely lose any. More than one way to skin a cat as they say... I've seen people hack off cuttings and chuck them in water on the windowsill and get them to take root.
I did jiffy pots for years until I didn't have any and tried cocoloco. Tried rockwool once decades ago. Didn't work well for me. I was pretty inexperienced at the time.

Dub_City405

Dub_City405

OK. So clonex is perfect. Are you burping the domes each day? For best results a mother or a plant in veg for 90 days. It's possible to clone earlier just not as strong.

Ponky

Ponky

The immature mothers don't make bad clones. They just take longer to throw roots than a mature mothers cuttings. Keep mothers for like 6 months. Have a replacement on deck.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I do dome 80f and 80%RH

Important factors:

1. Do NOT give them to much light. (Most common mistake I see) this drives the plant to transpire and increases demand on nutrients.

18/6 they DONT need to rely on photosynthesis to make energy here. They are using stored energy and this is why a healthy cutting has a much better success rate.

Only enough light to prevent them from flowering. If you see them yellowing chances are to much light... and same for dropping to much light or a humidity issue. You can't over water a clone until it has root and is being driven to grow by light.

2000 lux is plenty.

2. Immediately dip or place into water after cutting. This will reduce the chances of an embolism... air in the stem. When ready to go into the plug dip in you rooting hormone and place into plug.

3. It ABSOLUTELY crucial that the plug is tigh to the stem.

I'm dam near 100% no matter the time I cut. With the exception of the forst time I used rapid rooters.... because the holes were to big so I flipped em and made my own as seen in the pics.

Nice healthy rooted clones... even from a plant in flower. Not haggard and turning yellow from to much light. Hell even ambient light is usually enough.
20201228 120223
20201228 120120

Quicksand

Quicksand

There is no minimum age needed for cloning. And clones root readily in 7-10 days just in plain water, under subdued light. Here’s approximately 20 strains rooting in coffee cups in water only….no chemicals! No mess! Just change the water every other day…..

Quicksand

Quicksand

Those ready to transplant.
Anytime! Sometimes I need to delay them, so I can add 10% strength BLOOM fertilizer and keep them in a “vegetative state”. I have kept clones in water/aluminum foil/opaque coffee cups in the extreme corner of my veg area for six months. The roots become fully entangled and need to be cut apart from each other, but the tops grow very slowly but stay vegging.

Dub_City405

Dub_City405

Anytime! Sometimes I need to delay them, so I can add 10% strength BLOOM fertilizer and keep them in a “vegetative state”. I have kept clones in water/aluminum foil/opaque coffee cups in the extreme corner of my veg area for six months. The roots become fully entangled and need to be cut apart from each other, but the tops grow very slowly but stay vegging.
What's the purpose for this?

Quicksand

Quicksand

What's the purpose for this?
Usually wanting to keep them for breeding purposes but have room constraints. Most people don’t generally have 20+ strains going. I can also “recycle” strains to give away clones (I provide clones to medical users, as well)….The six month clones were mostly an experiment to see how much abuse they could withstand. I found that if the tops get wet, you may have issues with rot/mold, etc. I never use a humidity dome or rooting chemicals/hormones. And having to cut the roots apart doesn’t seem to adversely effect them….they are very hardy…..!

Top Bottom