Need help with my first grow..

• Thread starter Max_Mad
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
M

Max_Mad

Hi All, first time grower looking for some advice,
These were some seeds given to me by a friend, so have no idea of their origins. or what they are.

These started life outdoors, then I bought them inside when I got a Mars Hydro grow kit.
2x4 with a tsl 2000 light.

I had issues with fungus Gnats when I get them inside. They were actually looking quite good until I started try to fix the Fungus Gnat issue.
I soaked some Mosquito bits and added that to my water along with some Seasol Gold Liquid Seaweed Solution, a touch of Mollasus and some Manutec Nitro Plus.

This didn't really work, and I suspected I over watered them, so I then got some Gnat Barrier, which is kinda like sand, and covered my soil as recommended, and then starved them of water to try and fix the over watering.

Then they just melted into what you see here. So I removed the gnat barrier (it kinda worked, and I have very few gnats, but still a few buzzing around, my wife said they were dying of thirst, so I watered then with a 6.5ph water with some Manutec Nitro Plus yesterday and this was taken this morning.

Any ideas?

I have seeds on their way, but I dont really want to give up on this plant as it is my learning plant, I have 2 but the other looks a bit healthier. I would really like to get this one back to some kind of health. I'm still not even sure if it's under watered or over watered?

The stalks are looking pretty purple, not sure what that means.

Any help would be appreciated..

Cheers.

Just to note, my soil was a mix of about 1/2 to 2/3 potting mix, with the rest made up of perlite and peat moss in equal proportions.
When I removed the gnat barrier, I noticed root growth into that medium, so I topped my soil with a mix of peat moss and perlite, it looks heavy on the perlite, but the main mix doesn't look like that.

Need help with my first grow
Need help with my first grow 2
Need help with my first grow 3
Last edited:
mjab702

mjab702

Alright...let me start by saying I am no expert,,,but if that was my plant I would 1st pick off those yellow leaves,I would dim my light, I believe that is what is causing the purple stems. I would then get some D.E and yellow sticky paper to catch/kill the remaining knats. I would then give her a good flush in water PHed to around 6.2,then give her some compost tea. Wait until your next feed and you can then start over with an appropriate feeding program. I am basing this on my belief that this is a photoperiod b/c I dont see pistils yet.

M

Max_Mad

Thanks for the response, They are photoperiod, I dont know what b/c means, but they are not Feminized or Auto's.
I have just flushed them with some ph 6.5 water and removed the worse leaves. I also dimmed the light a bit and raised it up about 10".
Im not sure what D.E is, but I have added a yellow sticky thing in the pot.
I'll see what they look like tomorrow. 👌

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
ok i need to see the other plant..
and if there is even one gnat flying around than buy a bag of perlite and put an inch or more of it covering the complete surface of your medium..
also let your pots dry out and feel light!! for a couple of days unless plants are drooping bad and don’t worry about than getting droopy..
turn fans on high 24/7, maybe some sticky traps, other than that at worst after 3-4 weeks all should be good..
it’s the gnat larvee in the soil that is causing the problems by surviving on eating the roots.. this method is natural and i’ve done it a couple of times in the past, actually the only way..

M

Max_Mad

ok i need to see the other plant..
and if there is even one gnat flying around than buy a bag of perlite and put an inch or more of it covering the complete surface of your medium..
also let your pots dry out and feel light!! for a couple of days unless plants are drooping bad and don’t worry about than getting droopy..
turn fans on high 24/7, maybe some sticky traps, other than that at worst after 3-4 weeks all should be good..
it’s the gnat larvee in the soil that is causing the problems by surviving on eating the roots.. this method is natural and i’ve done it a couple of times in the past, actually the only way..
I think your right, There were hundreds of dead gnats all over the tent floor, and the yellow sticky was full after a couple of days. so there must have been sooo many lava in the soil. I vacuum up the dead gnats quite regularly..
I have a bag of unopened perlite so I'll do as you suggest, and will stop watering them for a bit.. I actually think they were hatching thru the bottom as I had the gnat barrier at the top.. Do you think its worth putting the gnat barrier back too, or just go with perlite?.

Cheers.

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
I think your right, There were hundreds of dead gnats all over the tent floor, and the yellow sticky was full after a couple of days. so there must have been sooo many lava in the soil. I vacuum up the dead gnats quite regularly..
I have a bag of unopened perlite so I'll do as you suggest, and will stop watering them for a bit.. I actually think they were hatching thru the bottom as I had the gnat barrier at the top.. Do you think its worth putting the gnat barrier back too, or just go with perlite?.

Cheers.
well the barrier does the exact same thing thing.. just need to put it on thick and maybe try to put it around the bottom to..,
more than likely your plant will grow slowly if at all while you do this but just keep with it as she will come out of it..
a gnat life cycle is around 30 days, so stay with it for a couple weeks even if you don’t see any as new larvee maybe hatching..

M

Max_Mad

well the barrier does the exact same thing thing.. just need to put it on thick and maybe try to put it around the bottom to..,
more than likely your plant will grow slowly if at all while you do this but just keep with it as she will come out of it..
a gnat life cycle is around 30 days, so stay with it for a couple weeks even if you don’t see any as new larvee maybe hatching..
I'll do that.. 👌

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I'll post some pics later when they come good.. 👍

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
I'll do that.. 👌

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I'll post some pics later when they come good.. 👍
yep, you’ll probably get more comments from other growers here that will have great advice..
so your not going anywhere 😆😆

Lockeboxgrows

Lockeboxgrows

I would look into some food grade diatomaceous Earth as another way to help with the gnat control. It will kill larva busting through the surface as well as adult gnats landing on the medium. I sprinkle a top layer on my medium as well as a layer around the outside of my grow tent to keep any other crawlies away. It's also a good source of silica 👍

mjab702

mjab702

Thanks for the response, They are photoperiod, I dont know what b/c means, but they are not Feminized or Auto's.
I have just flushed them with some ph 6.5 water and removed the worse leaves. I also dimmed the light a bit and raised it up about 10".
Im not sure what D.E is, but I have added a yellow sticky thing in the pot.
I'll see what they look like tomorrow. 👌
Diatomacious earth. tiny little prehistoric snail dust. LOL sounds stupid but it works.

Top Bottom