need help with my PH pen

• Thread starter NBfrost
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
N

NBfrost

hey all i just bought a ph pen , and i cannot get it to read the calabration liquids rite , im using ph 4 and ph 7 , im getting a low batter reading , could this be why? its a oakion ph tester ultra basic waterproof , says eutech instruments on the case as well .. im just about to start cloneing adn im soaking my cubs adn jiffy pots , and i cannot check the ph .. im usning bottled watter that u can buy in the grocery store , that comes in the 4 liter jug .. i have to do my cloning tomarrow or i will be late for my outdoor , if i cannot check the ph will the ph be allright ? and can i check it after i soaked them ? thanks for reading

Solidopc

Solidopc

I don't ph the water for my cuttings. I use straight tap water, same for seeds, works fine. Only bother with ph for for coco or hydro.

With your calibration fluids of 4 and 7. You should pour a little out, enough to dip the pen in, and then use the little screwdriver thing to get it to the correct ph. My pen has a little screwdriver and a screw on the back which changes the digi numbers on the pen to calibrate it with the known ph solution. So if you start with 4, and your pen reads 4.86, you screw anti clockwise until it reads 4.00, then do the same with the ph 7 fluid.

You pen is then calibrated and will read the correct ph of any solution its put in. You should calibrate your pen every so often. I do it every month.

And once you have used the fluid, you can't use it again, must be chucked. I buy the 250ml bottles of calibartion fluid off ebay or a hydrostore and use an egg cup to calibrate in. Lasts a while.

F

Fear

Change the batteries first meter can't produce enough power for an accurate reading if the batt. symbol is lit up.

T

Thickola Tesla

Did it come with a small screwdriver? You probably have to turn the small calibration screws(should be one for 4 and another for 7) while using the solution. This is normal with new ph meters. Use spring or tap for clones, it won't hurt. Humidity is the trick to clones. good luck

N

NBfrost

thanks all , no the first one i tryed was the ph pen , it had what u are talking about , but i didnt like it and i exchanged it for a better one , well more money , thats all ... this one has a calabration button , and when i pit it in the 4 sloution it reads .08 ???

F

Fear

hannah pen right. Read those instructions good and go throught the calibration sequence. GTD has the same pen if its hannah

F

Fear

That's too cheap frost. If you are still having probs take it back and get hannahs pen. You pay a little more but this confusion and hasssle will be all over with. Time is money and the money not invested in good stuff has now costed you time.

I look at my hour of time at about $85 an hour! could of bought 2 pens in 2 hours. Or 1 Hannah. LOL.

Peace Man good luck on the search for the perfect PH.

N

NBfrost

that is true , what do i ask for ? hanna pen ? i ended up payin 91 bucks for that pos

S

snake383

ouch... i think the temp of the cal. fluid changes the reading but dont quote me on that. If it is in the ball park (only off a couple tenths) id run it.

F

Fear

true temp has something to do with it. The hannah portable pen. It does temp ec and ph. The pen you might have might work but if it isn't user friendly screw it it's a little more.

N

NBfrost

that true i like how u think , becuase i hate salt build up that could be prevented

Top Bottom