Need help with some old seeds

• Thread starter TheC525
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
T

TheC525

Recently while cleaning out my parents house I came across a small tin with some seeds in it. I'm pretty sure these seeds are from some very old Colombian. I'd really like to grow some of this "Old School" weed but I'm not sure how to treat/ sprout these old seeds, I mean, they gotta be 35+ years old. They were stored in a cool (basement cabinet) dark (fairly air tight metal tin) place so maybe the are still good. I have heard that there are special ways to get old seeds to sprout, that they require some careful treatment. Any ideas? I'd love to revive some of this weed.

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
Recently while cleaning out my parents house I came across a small tin with some seeds in it. I'm pretty sure these seeds are from some very old Colombian. I'd really like to grow some of this "Old School" weed but I'm not sure how to treat/ sprout these old seeds, I mean, they gotta be 35+ years old. They were stored in a cool (basement cabinet) dark (fairly air tight metal tin) place so maybe the are still good. I have heard that there are special ways to get old seeds to sprout, that they require some careful treatment. Any ideas? I'd love to revive some of this weed.
yep!
just put them in a glass of a mixture of water and hydrogen peroxide at a strength of between 5-8% strength for like 10-12 hours than plant.. that’s all..
should pop up 3-5 days, even being that old..
temp 75-80
humidity 60-75
a small fan for air movement..

W

Wags56

yep!
just put them in a glass of a mixture of water and hydrogen peroxide at a strength of between 5-8% strength for like 10-12 hours than plant.. that’s all..
should pop up 3-5 days, even being that old..
temp 75-80
humidity 60-75
a small fan for air movement..
I’m gonna try exactly this ! I’ve got old seeds and I want to grow them but they did not a thing even in my worm farm ?

Buzzzz

Buzzzz

Some people also roll up some sandpaper and put the seeds in it and shake them to scrape the surface so the water can penetrate.

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
have a seedling heating mat for them plugged into timer with light to come on when lights on and off when lights off..

Buzzzz

Buzzzz

have a seedling heating mat for them plugged into timer with light to come on when lights on and off when lights off..
Sometimes when you have old seeds,even if they aren't dried out inside,the shells are almost fused and the seedling doesn't have the power to crack it open .

Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
Had some stubborn seeds that were not old. Tried scuffing, 12 hour soak, towels, no luck. Got down to the last four and wet Hail Mary. 4 to 1 Distilled and peroxide in a solo. Put them in a dark cupboard not particularly warm. Kept checking them and after a full 48 hours in the drink the little fuckers finally started popping.

Buzzzz

Buzzzz

Had some stubborn seeds that were not old. Tried scuffing, 12 hour soak, towels, no luck. Got down to the last four and wet Hail Mary. 4 to 1 Distilled and peroxide in a solo. Put them in a dark cupboard not particularly warm. Kept checking them and after a full 48 hours in the drink the little fuckers finally started popping.
Maybe those 4 would have anyway and the odds were in your favor. It's also sad when a company who makes their living on selling seeds can't get 80%+ germination.

SchwiftyGrower

SchwiftyGrower

Supporter
I’ve grown mostly from clones and all of my seeds I’ve grown have all opened.

I haven’t researched much, but are some seeds 100% impossible to germinate no matter the process? Or is the hydrogen peroxide method 100% effective on germination?

I ask this because I’ve got a bag of Runtz and found one seed. I tried to germinate it by soaking it in RO water and couldn’t get it to crack. I placed it in a wet paper towel in a container in dark room temperature and left for a few days while keeping the towel wet and still no go. So I just assume this one was a little too immature and no matter what I do, there’s nothing to get it to germinate.

sambapati

sambapati

Some people also roll up some sandpaper and put the seeds in it and shake them to scrape the surface so the water can penetrate.
Use young coconut water instead of water. Sandpaper lightly first....I would like to see that vintage columbian....loved the smell of that pot burning. GL

Buzzzz

Buzzzz

Use young coconut water instead of water. Sandpaper lightly first....I would like to see that vintage columbian....loved the smell of that pot burning. GL
You may need a controlled experiment with a large amount of seeds from teh same batch and do it a few times to verify if anything works. I liked the Colombo too too and the odd seed added to the flavor although most would disagree,seeded weed never did bother me.

sambapati

sambapati

You may need a controlled experiment with a large amount of seeds from teh same batch and do it a few times to verify if anything works. I liked the Colombo too too and the odd seed added to the flavor although most would disagree,seeded weed never did bother me.
Agree and some was better by far than sens.

Latest posts

Top Bottom