Need Help With Vent in Semi-Insulated Garage Setup North East USA

• Thread starter orgncsemilla
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
O

orgncsemilla

Hi Folks, ill lay it out and see if anybody can come up with a solution.

I live in Massachusetts where it seems like we get all 4 seasons year-round. Recently I turned half of my detached non-insulated 1 car garage into a grow room. The garage measures about 23Lx13W with 8H feet before the rafters (angled like a triangle). we partitioned the garage (8Lx13wx8H) and then split that into two sealed rooms 8Lx6.5ftW Approx. All 4 walls inside of the partition are insulated (except the wall separating the two rooms and the ceiling) with R30 fiberglass and OSB board painted flat white. We have two 8Lx6.5Wx8H sealed rectangles. The wall that faces the non-insulated garage has a small 28" door that opens to what we would like to be the clone/mother room and then inside that room, there is another small door that leads into the flower room.

there is 1 window in the garage and it sits outside of the partitioned room.

our current equipment consists of;
1-7k BTU portable ac
1-10k BTU portable ac
2-Walmart gyrating ceramic heaters (with temperature gauge)
1-30 pint dehumidifier
3- 1000w 6" Air Cooled Hood Reflector w/Glass Cover and ballasts (2 dimmable, 2 non-dimmable)
1-1000W Winged Reflector
1-1000w Dual Arc 600hps/400mh
2-3 1000w HPS bulbs
1-8 bulb T5 48inL
1-LEC315 (w/MH bulb)
2-Exhaust/Intake fans that move around 700+ CFM
1-small booster exhaust/intake fan (not sure of the cfm)
1-4 foot tall phat filter
2-multiple lengths of 6" and 8" vent tube and clamps
1-16" Oscillating Stand 3-Speed Fan
multiple WYE splits

****The garages temperature changes depending on outside temp...so when it's hot out, the garage is pretty hot, when it's cold or wintery, the inside gets cold but better than outside. again, I live in MASS (northeast USA)

I am not using all the lights at once...I'm using an ac reflector to flower, t5 for clones and lec 315 for mothers.
For my question...how the hell do I properly set up ventilation and exhaust with what I have? Please help!

Dan789

Dan789

Not sure what you're asking? You've got plenty of electrically thirsty apparatuses though, hope your electrical rates are low.
For starters how much electrical capacity do you have in the garage, that will limit your growing expectations...
How many successful grows have you had since starting to grow? Also noting that in your state it's only legal to grow 12 plants...

az2000

az2000

For my question...how the hell do I properly set up ventilation and exhaust with what I have?

I've read that the entire volume of a grow space should be replaced every 5 minutes. That's the minimum (assuming it's full of plants. If it was just one plant in large space, then it might not need that much turnover of air.). If you have heat to extract, then you would replace the air faster.

You have two rooms, each 8 x 6.5' (8 tall). That's 418 cu ft. You need to move 1/5 of that every minute: 83.6 cu ft. (More if it's too hot in the room at that flow.).

I've used a large plastic trash bag on the end of the exhaust tube to measure the flow. If a 35 gal trash bag (4.68 cu ft) inflates in 15 seconds, that's about enough to replace a 4x4 7' tall tent every 5 minutes. Your space may be too large to measure that way. If you really had to be precise, there are CFM meters that measure the flow out the exhaust tube.

If I misunderstood your question, let me know.

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Not sure what you're asking? You've got plenty of electrically thirsty apparatuses though, hope your electrical rates are low.
For starters how much electrical capacity do you have in the garage, that will limit your growing expectations...
How many successful grows have you had since starting to grow? Also noting that in your state it's only legal to grow 12 plants...
I'm not sure either and the rates are not low in Taxachusetts, nothing is, believe me!

Edit: (found tldr question)
"..how the hell do I properly set up ventilation and exhaust with what I have?

Start using a portable heater in the winter and an air conditioner in the summer and have a temperature controller turn your exhaust on and off

Last edited:
Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Humm.. there was a second part to my message but I don't know what happened to it?

I wanted to add that you're not going to successfully grow in Ma. in an unheated building, you might try to use your lights for heat in the winter but it's going to cause a humidity issue, and in the summer there's nothing that's going to cool your plants down and they're going to hit 95° or more and that's going to cause issues too

O

orgncsemilla

to answer a few questions....
i have a 60amp sub panel in my garage. each room carries 20 amps.
have had 3 grows under me with soil and hydro
the list is of what i have not what im running. that would be insane!

the setup before the summer was as follows (it was cooler outside)
carbon filter outside grow rooms>intake fan> 6in duct>relay fan>wye split 1 to 2>6in duct to each grow room...

1. flower room: ...wye split 1 to 2> 6in duct dumping new air (end of this duct)> other 6in duct to ac cooled reflector>6in duct exhaust to 2 to 1 wye split (the other hole at the wye would suck up old air at ceiling level)>6in duct>2 to 1 wye split

2. veg/clone room:...the 6 in duct that goes into this room, ends at this room with no other wye split, It just dumps new air in. other side of room has 6in duct exhaust... with a 750cfm exhaust fam sucking everything out.

here is my problem....when it gets hot outside, it gets hot inside the rooms because the air filter is pulling in hot air from the uninsulated garage. however when its cold outside...the rooms dont get lower than 50 degrees (before any outside cold air comes into the room). so if i cooled my ac reflector in the winter time with that cold air being pulled from the phat filter, how do i get clean air into the room where its not so cold?

Latest posts

Top Bottom