need some advice starting hydro

• Thread starter Cyproz
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
C

Cyproz

OK so i plan to use a 400 watt in a 39.5"x39.5" with a cooltube and a 188 CFM inline fan. Now my questions is which scenario should i do to get a harvest every 2 months?

Scenario 1: I build 8 DWC 5 gallon buckets and i have 4 in flower while 4 veg. I also would scrog it. They would have a 1 month veg time.

Scenario 2: I do a 3x3 ebb and flow table full of rockwool clones. And i have about 5-6 mothers vegging constantly.

Which do you think will yield more?

Also if you pick scenario 2, where can i find a good ebb and flow guide because i have never done it before. Also how many clone in the ebb and flow can i fit in the 3x3 and what inch size rockwool cube?

thanks in advance.

L

LEBDOG

Genetics

IMO, I think looking in to some genetics would be where I'd start if I were you. If you don't need to grow OG, like strains, you can get shorter fuller plants growing very well in the EB & Flow setup.

IMO the 400W light is too little light to get deep penetration for tall plants (DWC) setup.

I think that you will do great with like 9 small clones in EB & Flow. With some research (strain specific) experience you should be able to get 5-10g per plant with good lighting. 5x9=45g and I think this is a big high for a 400W light, but you can easily get 1/2lb with some experience.

The latest HydroFarm catalog has an "ECONO TRAY 1 SYSTEM", which contains everything you need to get started. This is a 3x3 Tray and stand (with all accessories). The retail on this is $399, but I think you should be able to get it for $300.

Use 4x4 Rockwool with hydroton in the tray also or even a liner. Check this post out and just go small on his work. This guy has the right idea:

I would really start to research genetics and look for a short, bushy & quicker finishing strain.

Additionally, I suggest this genetics research, 'cause if you want 2mo., you gotta find a less than 2 month flower (45-60 day). I have done pretty well with green crack (45 day flower kush) under a similar setup and would suggest a look at this strain (didn't like taste much though). 1 days to dry with proper leeching (longer otherwise).

Good luck and you will find everything you need here. People are very helpful. No one is gospel, but you can get a lot of good leading information...

C

Cyproz

Hey thanks, yea i have some OG kushes and hybrids of it. Im looking for anything from like 45 days-70 days. I think i like the ebb and flow system. If i can get it for 300 that will be sick! Do you know a guide on how to use one though, like giving them water and nutrients and i think theres a rez or something. I have never done hydro so i need to read a bit.
Do you think i can pull 3/4 of a pound with a 600 watt light?

L

LEBDOG

I think that if you could do a 600W light you are there enough to go DWC and go for taller OG plants. I would really advise going with the 600 if you can. The amount you will yield is a balance of several things, mostly your experience (specific to your plants also), your properly managed nutrients and then climate & lighting. If any one of these things is out of balance you probably won't get 3/4lb from a 600, but with a few grows I can almost guarantee it.

I am a hydro guy (hydroton), but really think that soil seems to make the plants happier easier and if you really are concerned with yield, I would go soil 'cause it's easier to manage. If you can afford to learn a little more, stick with hydro; read everything you can on this site and you will fast become a badass farmer!

There are a lot of video's out there which will show you how to eb & flow and I suggest watching at least 2 of these. I like to Eb every 3-4 hours for 15 minutes but many Eb for 30 minutes. You don't ever water plants in the dark and with this; that's all there really is to it. Yes you need a rez and that comes with the kit I listed. This is just a boxed starter kit. I suggest a trip to your local hydro store to see for yourself in person what this looks like.

Nutrients are really where it takes a few grows to get straight. They totally suck as far as their directions apply to different situations/climates. Many growers (not all) have experienced that they must adjust their nutrients quite a bit from the directions on the labels. I really suggest being very conservative with any nutrients you use. I suggest never going generously with nutrients as I have burned several crops this way.

Get yourself a PH (water) and a PPM (nutrient) meter and, well that's a good start!

C

Cyproz

I think the DWC would be an easier method for a hydro noobie. I defiantly plan on getting a ppm meter/ph meter.

Now what strain should i go with, that i can buy in America.

jadins_journey

jadins_journey

Supporter
I think the DWC would be an easier method for a hydro noobie. I defiantly plan on getting a ppm meter/ph meter.

Now what strain should i go with, that i can buy in America.

Leddog has given you some really good advice but... hydro is the way to go. Sure a ppm and ph meter are absolutely necessary, no way around that purchase.

Here's a link to what I think is the perfect little system for guys that are new to hydro:

all that equipment is still running, not growing herb's in it but it's all still turning out some buds. Hope this gives you more ideas to think about. I've ran DWC and it is not for beginners. Working a single resv. is much easier to learn from IMHO.

Good luck and I'll help all I can,

jj

C

Cyproz

thanks man, thats good advice but i have nothing to all day and i really like the idea of having each plant have its own rez. I think im gonna go for DWC. thanks though.

L

LEBDOG

As far as a great strain with a great yield, I would go with the OGeisel from Cali Connection:

This is a medium speed finisher, with a much better yield than a straight OG. This plant bushes out with less spacing between internodes and smokes great! I just love skunky OG! I am growing some HOG (Hawaiian Sativa x OG Kush) and this stuff is very skunky. I can't wait to see my results in early December. The HOG takes 11 weeks to flower (pretty long).

Yes, I do have a preference toward Cali Connection seeds and with no affiliation, just respect the research and work product of a fine professional operation. Not that anyone else is less professional, I just use SWERVE and Cali Connection (OG Raskal also) as my benchmark(s) by which all others are measured.

In my findings the gear (seeds) from Cali and OG Raskal are highly anticipated and this is another reason I have a preference toward Cali and OG Raskal (Sick Strains also).

As far as getting seeds in America, THCBAY works right here or SUITE215 dispensary in Van Nuys is a great place for Cali Connection gear.

B

bdawgburner

I wouldnt go with dwc with individual reservoirss for your first grow. The ebb and flow is a lot easier. Look at my sig, that was my first hydro grow. I pulled almost 20 oz from a 3x3 table. There was very little daily maintenance and a 35 gallon rez change only takes about 45 min once a week. You can get a ph/ppm meter that you can just leave in the rez and measures constantly so it takes away the work of having to check each 5 gallon container multiple times a day. Go with the ebb and flow, you wont be sorry. I was running an og hybrid on it too.

Top Bottom