Need some friendly advice

• Thread starter Jonnypierce
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Jonnypierce

Jonnypierce

So I'm just starting a new grow and a new journal, I.m hoping to get the cuttings either tomorrow or the day after just doing 8 in big pots under 3 lights. Now I'm a little worried that when I have all 3 lights turned up to full power that the temps are going to be way too high, so the question I have for someone with alot more experience (as this is only my second and twice the size) is will another outtake fan reduce the temperature at all?

SofaKingHigh

SofaKingHigh

Yes it can help some or upgrade to a bigger size exhaust fan. Your best bet is to try it out and see what happens and just be ready to possibly get a ac unit. Good luck

Jonnypierce

Jonnypierce

Yes it can help some or upgrade to a bigger size exhaust fan. Your best bet is to try it out and see what happens and just be ready to possibly get a ac unit. Good luck
Thanks but yeah that's what I was on about if I was to put another exhaust fan In there the same size as the one I've already in there would this reduce the temperature?

SofaKingHigh

SofaKingHigh

Thanks but yeah that's what I was on about if I was to put another exhaust fan In there the same size as the one I've already in there would this reduce the temperature?
It should help but it may not be enough is all.

Jonnypierce

Jonnypierce

So I cud spend 150 plus on a new fan and filter and it may still not resolve the issue ? I cud always turn my light intensity down but then that sort of defeats the object of putting 3 I there if that makes sense 🤷‍♂️

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

So I cud spend 150 plus on a new fan and filter and it may still not resolve the issue ? I cud always turn my light intensity down but then that sort of defeats the object of putting 3 I there if that makes sense 🤷‍♂️
Maybe you should put a thermometer in your grow area, turn on the lights and check the temperature after an hour. Then turn on the fan and see what it does.

Having people speculate on whether the air you draw in is cool enough to cool down your grow sufficiently will not get you a useful answer.

Jonnypierce

Jonnypierce

Maybe you should put a thermometer in your grow area, turn on the lights and check the temperature after an hour. Then turn on the fan and see what it does.

Having people speculate on whether the air you draw in is cool enough to cool down your grow sufficiently will not get you a useful answer.
Haha that was my thought exactly, when I actually thought about it, common sense really 😂🤦‍♂️ I've just put all my fans on put all 3 lights on and I'll go down in an hour and see what the temp is, then if its too high I can have a re think

2Bad

2Bad

try taking off the whole duct going out the window and just exhaust into your basement. if you have less ducting it should air it out more making your fan more efficient.

dirtyoldman

dirtyoldman

Happy to help. Can only tell you what I do. Intake/out take. Both running when lamp is on. Outtake running 24 hours. And the intake is air conditioned air. My set-up is simple. I attach a hose to the front of the air conditioner and suck the air into the tent or room. I'm going to be running two spaces at the same time sucking cold air in from one air conditioner. I can pull in air from outside as well but I can't regulate the temperature outside. AC allows you to do crazy stuff like some guys here claim they do. Like run two 600W HPS lamps in a 4 x 4 grow tent. I'm not going that far. But pounding them with that strong light sure does get the yield. That last Blue Cheese harvest I did? Phew! It's like the stash is never going to run out. Nice hashish, too. Strong as hell. LED has it's points. But I'll never abandon high intensity lamps. And they're so cheap now. Can't believe how cheap I just got a 600W with both bulbs. FedEX smashed the glass cover the first time so they the replaced the entire hood and reflector. The entire assembly. Really all I would have to do is buy a ballast and a bulb and I've got a second 600W lamp. Don't need it. The whole exercise was stupid because I'm discovering I might remove the glass because I'm not going to be able to control the temperature. It could force me into running two separate exhaust fan systems in one tent. I see it as a fire hazard as well. What if my fan fails? All that heat held in by glass. Would the bulb just explode or what? Would the ballast shut down? It's the air-cooled design reflector. I've never closed in a high-intensity bulb like that and I don't like the idea. That glass cover is coming off. It's the only way I'm going to manage exact control of the temperature being received by the plants. And I don't like the idea of sucking all air in the room through the lamp shade. There's grime and dust in that! I don't want that flowing past a high-temperature, high-intensity bulbs. I've never liked that style of ventilation UNLESS you were running dual ventilation systems in a room and the air being sucked past the bulb is filtered and coming from outside the tent. Not inside the tent. Imagine what that bulb would look like if you're growing a male covered with pollen in that room and you were blowing all the air in the room right past a hot bulb! No thanks. I don't see duplicate exhaust systems as practical in a 4 x 4. I'm already going to have a ridiculous amount of equipment running at the same time. NIce how these grow tents will allow you to do stuff like that, though. I got a tent because I want to make a huge stash of hash for my head! By the way, buy a wireless thermometer device and hang the sensor at about the height of your tallest cola.

Jonnypierce

Jonnypierce

try taking off the whole duct going out the window and just exhaust into your basement. if you have less ducting it should air it out more making your fan more efficient.
The duct to the window is my intake bringing in fresh air from outside, then the the other ducting is the outtake and its justgoing into the basement

Jonnypierce

Jonnypierce

Happy to help. Can only tell you what I do. Intake/out take. Both running when lamp is on. Outtake running 24 hours. And the intake is air conditioned air. My set-up is simple. I attach a hose to the front of the air conditioner and suck the air into the tent or room. I'm going to be running two spaces at the same time sucking cold air in from one air conditioner. I can pull in air from outside as well but I can't regulate the temperature outside. AC allows you to do crazy stuff like some guys here claim they do. Like run two 600W HPS lamps in a 4 x 4 grow tent. I'm not going that far. But pounding them with that strong light sure does get the yield. That last Blue Cheese harvest I did? Phew! It's like the stash is never going to run out. Nice hashish, too. Strong as hell. LED has it's points. But I'll never abandon high intensity lamps. And they're so cheap now. Can't believe how cheap I just got a 600W with both bulbs. FedEX smashed the glass cover the first time so they the replaced the entire hood and reflector. The entire assembly. Really all I would have to do is buy a ballast and a bulb and I've got a second 600W lamp. Don't need it. The whole exercise was stupid because I'm discovering I might remove the glass because I'm not going to be able to control the temperature. It could force me into running two separate exhaust fan systems in one tent. I see it as a fire hazard as well. What if my fan fails? All that heat held in by glass. Would the bulb just explode or what? Would the ballast shut down? It's the air-cooled design reflector. I've never closed in a high-intensity bulb like that and I don't like the idea. That glass cover is coming off. It's the only way I'm going to manage exact control of the temperature being received by the plants. And I don't like the idea of sucking all air in the room through the lamp shade. There's grime and dust in that! I don't want that flowing past a high-temperature, high-intensity bulbs. I've never liked that style of ventilation UNLESS you were running dual ventilation systems in a room and the air being sucked past the bulb is filtered and coming from outside the tent. Not inside the tent. Imagine what that bulb would look like if you're growing a male covered with pollen in that room and you were blowing all the air in the room right past a hot bulb! No thanks. I don't see duplicate exhaust systems as practical in a 4 x 4. I'm already going to have a ridiculous amount of equipment running at the same time. NIce how these grow tents will allow you to do stuff like that, though. I got a tent because I want to make a huge stash of hash for my head! By the way, buy a wireless thermometer device and hang the sensor at about the height of your tallest cola.
Thanks for your advice pal but I'm trying to keep the cost down and avoid buying an ac unit if I can, I'm gonna go down soon and check the temp, I've got it all running just as I wud if I was in full flower and fingers crossed temps okay, if not its just another little headache

2Bad

2Bad

The duct to the window is my intake bringing in fresh air from outside, then the the other ducting is the outtake and its justgoing into the basement
What size is your intake fan? Long ducting could possibly be making it so your intake isnt bringing in fresh air.

Jonnypierce

Jonnypierce

It's only a little hobby one 4 inch I think, it's definitely bringing in some coz I can feel it on my hand but it's very weak

SofaKingHigh

SofaKingHigh

I'm not fully with you, take off what ducting ?
He’s saying your intake ducting is quite long and you may not be moving the volume of air that you could be. I understand your trying to suck fresh air from outside.

Jonnypierce

Jonnypierce

That's what I mean the ducting needs to be long because my tent is so far from the window

Jonnypierce

Jonnypierce

So s things stand with everything running at full capacity like it would be in full flower my temps are 30.3 degrees, now I know that's a little on the high side but not massively I mean I've known people run at 30 without an issue, bit I'd feel alot more at ease if I cud get it down a little bit, can anybody give me any ideas ? I'd really appreciate any advice , I'm after a really good crop so I really don't want to have to take a light out or lower the intensity, now if that's the only way then I'll do it bit surely there is another way to get it down a couple of degrees ?

Jonnypierce

Jonnypierce

So for those interested, I took all yours advice and got a new exhaust fan and it's worked a treat ! I left all my lights on over night and the temps went upto 34.6 degrees. But now with the new fan they are sitting nicely at 27.7 🙂

Latest posts

Top Bottom