Need some help with my Sativa plants

• Thread starter flanderz
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
F

flanderz

Very new to growing and this is my first time with a sativa dominant strain (Chocolope). I've experienced a bunch of new problems with this grow but it's only my third crop and first time growing in the dead of winter (so extra challenge of humidity and temperature). First problem was my buddy was over watering while I was away for a few weeks but I think we got that sorted. Each of the plants has grown about 4" in the past 15 days since I was away. Now they are a bit yellow and I suspect the pH was too high (7.8). The tent also got way cold (down to 42) for less than 24 hours.

They seem to be struggling a bit. What would you change? Can I switch to 12/12 and try and flower them?

Need some help with my sativa plants

GreenGalaxyFarm

GreenGalaxyFarm

I've experienced a bunch of new problems with this grow but it's only my third crop and first time growing in the dead of winter (so extra challenge of humidity and temperature).
what parameters are your temp and rh controllers set to, or what are you seeing on the hygrometer.

Moshmen

Moshmen

Gonna need more info- nutes , watering habit- lights- ect

If your inside anything less than 70 degrees slows them considerably in my opinion , so don’ worry about the slow down to much - plants don’t look that bad at all remove them lower yellow leaves as suggested and let’s watch the new growth - looks to be fairly healthy to me

Trixie

Trixie

Those plants have a good start and should make it to harvest easy. The yellow leaves are from excessive watering. Your plants need a steady feed at a low dose with every watering until you raise the EC. I give my plants about 300 ppm of a complete fertilizer with every watering without runoff to raise the EC.

Moshmen

Moshmen

Those plants have a good start and should make it to harvest easy. The yellow leaves are from excessive watering. Your plants need a steady feed at a low dose with every watering until you raise the EC. I give my plants about 300 ppm of a complete fertilizer with every watering without runoff to raise the EC.
Dude you don’t have enuff info to make that determination - yellow leaves are caused by multiple issues / we know nothing about the grow really , I know you like to help but just because that’s what happens in your grow doesn’t make it an absolute every grow is different

F

flanderz

should have removed those fans by now, so that you can monitor if progression exists
and teach friends proper watering technique specific to your grow
Why are you suggesting removing the fans? I'm confused as to when those should be used. I do have an exhaust fan at the top of the tent as well.

F

flanderz

If your inside anything less than 70 degrees slows them considerably in my opinion , so don’ worry about the slow down to much - plants don’t look that bad at all remove them lower yellow leaves as suggested and let’s watch the new growth - looks to be fairly healthy to me
No extra nutes but using hot soil from Fox Farm. Lights are Kind 420 bar LED running on 18/6. Temperature is back to 66-68, I can't get it over that right now without running an unsupervised space heater. They were growing fine enough before the watering problem.

I generally water "as needed" - typically a small amount every day or every other day. I have no idea what my buddy was doing with the watering schedule. I gave the girls a haircut per multiple suggestions and I've fixed the pH so let's see how it goes.

Moshmen

Moshmen

Just until you get the watering down - any chance you can weigh the container when it’s completely dry like no water for 3 days dry - then add water until it just barely starts to run off - start with mayb 1/2 gallon let it sit for 5 mins then add more when you reach run off weigh the container again - keep track of the water added so you have perramiters to start with . Weigh again after each day to see how much water is used it’s a pain but will help you understand how the plant uses water and how much at the different stages once you have your process down scrap all the work cuz now ya know .

BigBlonde

BigBlonde

I generally water "as needed" - typically a small amount every day or every other day. I have no idea what my buddy was doing with the watering schedule. I gave the girls a haircut per multiple suggestions and I've fixed the pH so let's see how it goes.
It looks like you're using plastic pots. They don't let the soil dry as quickly as fabric pots. These plants like the soil to dry deep down, so they don't like to be watered every day. They like deep watering many days apart. 4 to 5 days is common. A soil moisture gauge can be helpful. In addition to lifting the pots to feel how heavy they are, reading the plants for wilt is also a good idea. When you water, do it slowly and and keep adding water till some water runs out of the bottom of the pot.

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
how close is that light?
notice as light stress has many different signs one being older leaves being in no particular area of the plant but the parts of leaves exposed to light are yellowing than drying up. as in your plants..

Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter
Just until you get the watering down - any chance you can weigh the container when it’s completely dry like no water for 3 days dry - then add water until it just barely starts to run off - start with mayb 1/2 gallon let it sit for 5 mins then add more when you reach run off weigh the container again - keep track of the water added so you have perramiters to start with . Weigh again after each day to see how much water is used it’s a pain but will help you understand how the plant uses water and how much at the different stages once you have your process down scrap all the work cuz now ya know .
I like this and what Big Blonde said too. I think most people water too quickly......I'm not saying that's what's happening here, I don't know, but in nature, rain doesn't fall all at once. It a process of (usually) slow soaking. Watering dry soil too fast can cause much of it to run down and out the bottom without getting a nice, even soak. Watering just a little bit every day (as if we're doing something nice for them every day) can often moisten the top layer, and then that's it. So every day we're watering the top few inches, and that can cause dry pockets. Yes, plants like soil to fluctuate from (relatively) wet........to where it's sort of starting to get dry .......then a nice, slow, even, thorough soaking again. No consistent dry pockets, no quick flooding/runout.......whether you weigh your pots, or, I like to get in there and touch/feel the soil (don't tear up the roots ;)), but I want to feel moist, spongey, thorough......maybe after a few minutes just a little bit of water dribbles out of the bottom.....whatever method you want to use to get there, which is good, healthy watering.

I bought this meter, it tests soil moisture level and Ph. I think it's pretty good, there may be better, but it's just another tool to get you to getting a feel for healthy watering......plus you can get a Ph reading (using multiple ways can give you more overall accuracy and understanding of your Ph).

20230131 104051
Last edited:
Madbud

Madbud

If you drill like a million quarter inch holes in the pots it will increase evaporation and allow oxygen to reach the roots.

RootsRuler

RootsRuler

Dude you don’t have enuff info to make that determination - yellow leaves are caused by multiple issues / we know nothing about the grow really , I know you like to help but just because that’s what happens in your grow doesn’t make it an absolute every grow is different
Yes, Yes and Yes.

Mosh is correct. Start working on the most obvious issues and work your way down to the smaller ones. Slow growth? Too cold. You'll need to setup a heater with a thermostat so that it will turn on and off at the required temperature.

Mosh's instructions on watering are spot on. Follow what he says.

Give them a little time to bounce back then go ahead and flower them but NEVER try and flower a sick plant!!!🙂

B

bibsoconner

I like this and what Big Blonde said too. I think most people water too quickly......I'm not saying that's what's happening here, I don't know, but in nature, rain doesn't fall all at once. It a process of (usually) slow soaking. Watering dry soil too fast can cause much of it to run down and out the bottom without getting a nice, even soak. Watering just a little bit every day (as if we're doing something nice for them every day) can often moisten the top layer, and then that's it. So every day we're watering the top few inches, and that can cause dry pockets. Yes, plants like soil to fluctuate from (relatively) wet........to where it's sort of starting to get dry .......then a nice, slow, even, thorough soaking again. No consistent dry pockets, no quick flooding/runout.......whether you weigh your pots, or, I like to get in there and touch/feel the soil (don't tear up the roots ;)), but I want to feel moist, spongey, thorough......maybe after a few minutes just a little bit of water dribbles out of the bottom.....whatever method you want to use to get there, which is good, healthy watering.

I bought this meter, it tests soil moisture level and Ph. I think it's pretty good, there may be better, but it's just another tool to get you to getting a feel for healthy watering......plus you can get a Ph reading (using multiple ways can give you more overall accuracy and understanding of your Ph).
Hey @Harpua88 , I know I shouldn't hack this thread, but gotta ask you... Those bender kits in the photo, can you tell me brand, where to buy, etc., assuming you like them? Or just generally tell me what to look for an how to bend. BTW, I looked for the Alanmond 3-in-1 on Amazon and couldn't find it. I did see an Alpine brand. ( https://www.amazon.com/dp/B091DT8F9...olid=2XASLWNWR3J19&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it )
Hopefully, they are all about same.
Thanks!

Harpua88

Harpua88

Supporter
Hey @Harpua88 , I know I shouldn't hack this thread, but gotta ask you... Those bender kits in the photo, can you tell me brand, where to buy, etc., assuming you like them? Or just generally tell me what to look for an how to bend. BTW, I looked for the Alanmond 3-in-1 on Amazon and couldn't find it. I did see an Alpine brand. ( https://www.amazon.com/dp/B091DT8F9...olid=2XASLWNWR3J19&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it )
Hopefully, they are all about same.
Thanks!
This is a company called Engineered Essentials, and I'm pretty sure hey're a US co. What a nifty little idea hunh? These are easy to use and you can get a whole pack of them, but they also have adjustable ones, I going to get some of those too, probably for Sativas. And they have other products too.

As far as the Alanmond 3-in-1 meter, I got it through Amazon so you canbfind them there, I think Alpine is a different company. I can tell you that our plumber was here yeaterday and he tested our water professionally. Even though this meter is for soil, not water, we used it in our water and it came out exactly the same as his test. That doesn't mean it's always going to be that accurate.....it might depend on other factors. I've akways wondered why a Ph meter "cares" what liquid, slurry, whatever that it's testing. I need to read up more on the whole Ph thing, I always used to use those annoying strips and then adjust up or down, but this was 30 yrs ago. You'd think they'd just invent an accurate meter that easily and quickly tests Ph, but apparently even if you buy a water meter, you still need to use these liquids to calibrate it.......is there a water Ph meter that "self-calibrates"? Or whatever you'd call it? Some meters are $10.....some are $100, and up.......

Last edited:
Top Bottom