Neem/pest question

• Thread starter Terpeneluv
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Terpeneluv

Terpeneluv

Ok, this morning I found a little bugger buzzing around in my tent. I couldn't find any others and looked under leaves. Put down another gnat trap and hoped for the best when I left the house. This got me thinking about neem oil and spray.

I use this awesome cold pressed organic neem oil on my veggies and it works great with no noticable adverse reactions. I use about a tablespoon in a litter spray bottle with a few drops of Dr. Bronners pure Castile peppermint soap. It does the trick.

I've read you can use it on the lady's, but still a little nervous. Anyone use this? Any recipe suggestions? Should I just use the same formula as I do in the veggie garden?

Thanks

Ace9137

Ace9137

Ok, this morning I found a little bugger buzzing around in my tent. I couldn't find any others and looked under leaves. Put down another gnat trap and hoped for the best when I left the house. This got me thinking about neem oil and spray.

I use this awesome cold pressed organic neem oil on my veggies and it works great with no noticable adverse reactions. I use about a tablespoon in a litter spray bottle with a few drops of Dr. Bronners pure Castile peppermint soap. It does the trick.

I've read you can use it on the lady's, but still a little nervous. Anyone use this? Any recipe suggestions? Should I just use the same formula as I do in the veggie garden?

Thanks
Neem oil is wonderful, I use more home remedies now, diatomaceous earth is awesome as well. Cannabis is a plant, just like any other plant when it comes to growing, most plants have something unique about them, they are still plant, if you are still leary, try a small patch of your plant and see.

Terpeneluv

Terpeneluv

I think I'll do that. I'll make a slightly weaker solution than I do the rest of my plants, hit up a few parts and see what happens.

PS- I love the smell if neem oil! Haha

GrnMtnGrowR

GrnMtnGrowR

Neem oil in a tent is going to stink like hell! Try Gnatrol in the soil for the larvae and yellow sticky cards to catch the flyers. The easiest way I have found to keep the fungus gnats at bay is to keep the top inch or more of my soil dry and water your plants by flooding from the bottom in a tray. A thin layer of Diatomaceous earth on the top of your soil as ACE 9137 suggested may keep the larvae from surviving just as Gnatrol would.

Last edited:
Beachwalker

Beachwalker

I think I'll do that. I'll make a slightly weaker solution than I do the rest of my plants, hit up a few parts and see what happens.

PS- I love the smell if neem oil! Haha
You saw one fungus gnat and that's what you're talkin about? or was it some other kind of bug?

I would check my mixing ratio because I think a tablespoon goes per gallon not quart or liter but I'm not sure, also never spray it on flowering plants or at least not after the first few weeks

And certainly perception of scent is individual to a great extent however I think neem oil is a most repulsive smell, and it does nothing against mites. I used to spray it once a week for maintenance but I couldn't take the smell and aside from shiny leaves I didn't see much benefit?

Terpeneluv

Terpeneluv

I believe it was a gnat. There was only one stuck on the traps so that leads me to believe it so.

Maybe I use less than a tablespoon. It's about a caps worth in that container. Could be a teaspoon. I usually go by the amount that floats to the top and it isn't much.

Besides the yellow traps, what else is used to battle those little f-ers?

GrnMtnGrowR

GrnMtnGrowR

I believe it was a gnat. There was only one stuck on the traps so that leads me to believe it so.

Maybe I use less than a tablespoon. It's about a caps worth in that container. Could be a teaspoon. I usually go by the amount that floats to the top and it isn't much.

Neem oil in a tent is going to stink like hell! Try Gnatrol in the soil for the larvae and yellow sticky cards to catch the flyers. The easiest way I have found to keep the fungus gnats at bay is to keep the top inch or more of my soil dry and water your plants by flooding from the bottom in a tray. A thin layer of Diatomaceous earth on the top of your soil as ACE 9137 suggested may keep the larvae from surviving just as Gnatrol would.

Terpeneluv

Terpeneluv

Interesting. Can I use that stuff on the top layer of coco? Does it affect pH or the nutes?

MooseFarts

MooseFarts

I use neem oil on my plants all throughout veg but stop once flowering starts. Works wonders in my opinion, plus your leaves look super shiny and healthy after a good neem application. I use 5-10 ml (1-2 teaspoons) per litre (or quart they’re roughly the same).

Also I think it smells like mr noodles, or even chicken noodle soup. How can anyone find that revolting?? 😂

Terpeneluv

Terpeneluv

Haha! Mmmm Mr. Noodles.

The smell remind me of my earliest memories as a kid going to the garden store with my parents.

Ok, I'm giving it a go in the morning before lights on.

Terpeneluv

Terpeneluv

Curious. Is it okay to put a little bit of food or maybe seaweed extract mixed in with the neem?

MooseFarts

MooseFarts

Im not sure, I haven't ever tried it. I always did either a foliar spray with nutes or a foliar spray with neem. Never tried mixing the two personally. I always thought better safe than sorry, maybe someone else has tried this and will chime in.

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

i use 2 tsp for 2 gal water,also 3 or 4 drop of dawn dish washing soap,i prefer the cold press myself,stays on plant longer,yes you can spray the soil with it also,my veggie garden loves the stuff and only needs it about once a month,some bugs just cant get ride of,but more than not cant stand the stuff,what i do is cover my fruit or flowers and gently spray the plant not hitting them at all,never had issues other than when i did hit flowers the just shrivel up

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

I keep a 9" high velocity fan on the floor on low and the air circulation, in addition to being beneficial in general for plants will not let them fly and eventually breaks their life cycle, used with the sticky traps recommended above

Top Bottom