Nek minnit - one droopy boi

• Thread starter Nectarivorous
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Nectarivorous

Nectarivorous

Hi crew! 4x Green Crack under 2x 300w LED. Coco coir 100%, 8 gal pots. Had little to no issues so far, a bit of Nitrogen deficiency as I try to get things tuned in on my first ever grow. Got some help from guys on here, upped the EC a little and they have responded beautifully...mostly. My second biggest girl at back right, who has always been very low and flat, has now decided to droop. Just those first 5-fans, new growth looks good, greener than ever after the upped Nutes, but now this, just as of 6 hours ago. They are getting 125ml waterings 4 times a day at 2.1 EC, with 1.3 EC out, pH to 5.9. Get 15-20% run off consistently. She was fine this morning, got watered and. an hour later looked like this. All the more weird because - look at the other 3!! Absolutely kissing the sun, this lady meanwhile wants to flop. Two things I can identify that make this plant the odd one out:

1. Always been lower and flatter. To the point that it is so low to the ground, that the first true leaves are draping the soil. You can see I'm even using a Vortex spray as a strut to hold up the loooong petiole leaf that was flopping. Should I be trimming the finger leaves that are lying on wet soil? Is that creating disease/pest risk?

2. (possibly the cause of point 1) - the fan. The plant was definitely lower and flatter already, and the fan is pointing up so if anything she gets less air than the others, but still enough to tremble the leaves and keep her moving. But I'm wondering if the clever girl in all her wisdom is sensing the breeze above and saying 'not going up there'. Could the leaves be windburned? Just weird that only that set is looking lazy, the lower ones are obviously very long and hard to support, but look green and normal (to me, a first time grower :D), the new growth looks vibrant, beautiful, vibrant support shoots coming out underneath ready to go off when she's topped, but these leaves look rank.

Any support as always greatly appreciated. Hoping it's as simple as moving the fan, can't put my finger on why there'd be a nutrient issue, but if there is hopefully you can identify from the above info.

Also I have been upping the lights this week, gone from 15-25 DLI (about 400 PPFD) as we move into hard veg mode after seeding. 400 not particularly crazy for this point of their development from what I can see - and as I say, doesn't look like the other 3 are particularly unhappy about it. :). Cheers all, peace.

Tempimagegm4p2ipng
Tempimagerppr57png
Tempimage8b8iwbpng
Nectarivorous

Nectarivorous

FYI that munted bit on the end of that closest leaf has been like that basically since the leaf sprouted. Not sure if someone can identify what may have caused that, I just assumed it was genetic.

Nectarivorous

Nectarivorous

Now the big girl showing a little bit on the ends of the big leaves. I'm thinking given it's only the two biggest they are probably thirsty?? I've found the biggest surprise how quickly the water demand increases even from day to day, I suspect the culprit is my own lack of experience and not giving them enough. Just a thought...

DE10252D 5D10 41CF BA02 5AD8CD60A449
Nectarivorous

Nectarivorous

Now I'm thinking it's the not the amount of water, it's the increased frequency in the big pots? Thinking the roots aren't getting enough chance to get oxygen and are struggling. Then again I've moved the lights lower so maybe it's causing them to need more water and they're not getting it... Everyone still asleep so imma just keep guessing :D

Nectarivorous

Nectarivorous

What I learned today: big pots, bigger waterings, less often. I was trying to do more smaller waterings to try and get a steady stream of Nitrogen through the pots to green them up, but it's not the way to go. What I was doing before was working beautifully, and more in line with what Aqua Man was saying. He does lots of little waters but he grows in 1 gal so it's different. So why I think the biggest girls got hit and the little ones dodged it is because of the ring watering. Whereas the water was sliding past the furthest roots of the little ones so they were able to absorb it and stay in lots of clean air, the end roots on the bigger ones were being inundated by regular waterings and not getting any chance to take up the O2 they need. I pulled off watering for the rest of the day and turned the fan up from above to dry out the top of the soil. Around the outer of the big girls poked some holes with an irrigation straw to help evaporation, and it also seemed to make the water drain further out the bottom. Reckon it's the kind of thing if it wasn't stopped would start root rot issues, but got onto it pretty quick, and coco is amazing. You can see how with good flow thru the top is always draining with gravity so the roots at the top get some air pretty quick. They are already back to their best selves, kissing the sun, exactly like they were yesterday. Will go back to the watering plan that worked for me up to now.

Top Bottom