Nematodes verses Bti, pros and cons of each discussion

• Thread starter IamN2pot
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
I

IamN2pot

I'm ready (I think) to put an end, finality, eradication, once and for all to the few fungus gnats that somehow circumvent my soil barrier. I see at least 2 options currently, that look like they will eradicate any gnat larvae in my soil, Bacillus thuringiensis israelensis (Bti) or Steinernema feltiae nematodes. Both look to be compatible with my organic supersoil way of gardening, but is one superior at eliminating those pesky gnats? The nematodes will also eat other pest larvae, so that's a plus, but in my past experience with lady bugs and weird wasp predator bugs, they never "finished" the job. Eat loads of aphids and spider mites, yes. Eradicate the problem, no way! So from those experiences I'm leaning towards the Bti. I have also used Bacillus thuringiensis (Bt) to eliminate caterpillars from my old greenhouse garden. IT WORKS, and eliminates those garden eating worms, not just "control" them by reducing their numbers.
So, if you've used either or both, please leave a note with your experience.
Thanks in advance, N2

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

Hit them with Bti, if it's a heavy infestation. I like nematodes, but a couple of grows ago, I had the worst infestation I've ever had, and nematodes didn't do the trick.

Latest posts

Top Bottom