• Thread starter 20north
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Status
Not open for further replies.

20north

Neurotoxic Effects from Butane Gas

Acute Intoxication
Because butane gas inhalants enter through the pulmonary system, they immediately enter into the blood supply and within seconds produce intoxication. The acute effects of inhalants include dizziness, hypertension (increased blood pressure), tachycardia (increased heart rate), impaired coordination, disorientation, temporal distortion, confusion, thick slurred speech, delirium, hallucinations, assaults and suicide attempts. Depending upon the inhalant, recovery may take minutes to hours or may not occur at all. Single episode use can be fatal because of oxygen displacement from red blood cells, hypoxia and asphyxiation. Victims of pulmonary effects are often found with a paper bag over the head.

Profound relaxation and deep sleep usually follow the initial euphoric phase.Unpleasant symptoms reported after the use of inhalants include agitation, seizures, ataxia, headache, and dizziness.

Chronic Effects
Chronic inhalant abuse destroys motor neurons that send commands from the brain to the hands and feet. As these motor neurons fail, varying degrees of motor impairment result, including a decreased ability to perform manual and mental tasks. For example, toluene vapors produce high levels of this lipid soluble chemical, particularly in the brain. Toluene abusers present symptoms of motor uncoordination, fatigue, mental impairment, and increasingly greater degrees of permanent central nervous system damage. Most inhalants produce some degree of hepatotoxicity (liver damage). Halogenated hydrocarbons, such as freon, cause severe hepatotoxicity.

Some inhalants change cardiac physiology and increase the risk for cardiac failure. For example,butane (from cigarette lighters), freon (from aerosol propellants) and toluene (from glues) hypersensitize cardiac cells to norepinephrine, the neurotransmitter that stimulates cardiac contractions. Inhalants interfere with the transport of oxygen by interfering with the binding or release of oxygen by red blood cells. The resulting hypoxia also causes cardiac cell hypersensitivity to norepinephrine. Norepinephrine sensitivity and hypoxia can cause cardiac muscles to defibrillate or begin contracting randomly. A syndrome called Sudden Sniffing Death (SSD) occurs without warning, and discontinuation of breathing the inhalant does not reverse the sequence of events. Victims of SSD often appear to sense that something is wrong, and run away from the source or site where they were inhaling, before collapsing and dying.

Neurotoxic Effects
Permanent cerebral and cerebellar neurological disability is the most well known toxic effect of chronic inhalant abuse. Long-term abusers are at significant risk for a neurological syndrome consisting of memory loss, cognitive impairment, sleep disturbance, depression, anxiety, and personality changes. Permanent cognitive disorders are also well described in patients who chronically sniff gasoline. Long term occupational chemical exposure (e.g., painters) may result in the development of cerebral atrophy and abnormal EEGs.

Chronic abuse of n-hexane and nitrous oxide are well known to cause peripheral neurological deficits including profound sensorimotor polyneuropathy (n-hexane) and a demyelinating polyneuropathy and extremity weakness (nitrous oxide), which appears to be related to the inactivation of vitamin B12, an important cofactor in many necessary biochemical reactions.

Inhalation of leaded gasoline increases the risk for neurological complications from organic lead poisoning. These include mental confusion, poor short-term memory, psychosis, and encephalopathy. Symptoms of inorganic lead poisoning (headache, abdominal pain, hepatic injury, renal damage) have also been reported in patients who chronically inhale gasoline.

Animal and human research shows that most inhalants are extremely toxic. Perhaps the most
significant toxic effect of chronic exposure to inhalants is widespread and long-lasting damage to
the brain and other parts of the nervous system. For example, both animal research and human
pathological studies indicate that chronic abuse of volatile solvents such as toluene damages the
protective sheath around certain nerve fibers in the brain and peripheral nervous system. This
extensive destruction of nerve fibers is clinically similar to that seen with neurological diseases
such as multiple sclerosis.

The neurotoxic effects of prolonged inhalant abuse include neurological syndromes that reflect
damage to parts of the brain involved in controlling cognition, movement, vision, and hearing.
Cognitive abnormalities can range from mild impairment to severe dementia. Other effects can
include difficulty coordinating movement, spasticity, and loss of feeling, hearing, and vision.
Inhalants also are highly toxic to other organs. Chronic exposure can produce significant damage
to the heart, lungs, liver, and kidneys. Although some inhalant-induced damage to the nervous
and other organ systems may be at least partially reversible when inhalant abuse is stopped,
many syndromes caused by repeated or prolonged abuse are irreversible.
Abuse of inhalants during pregnancy also may place infants and children at increased risk of
developmental harm. Animal studies designed to simulate human patterns of inhalant abuse
suggest that prenatal exposure to toluene or trichlorethylene (TCE) can result in reduced birth
weights, occasional skeletal abnormalities, and delayed neurobehavioral development. A number
of case reports note abnormalities in newborns of mothers who chronically abuse solvents, and
there is evidence of subsequent developmental impairment in some of these children. However,
no well-controlled, prospective study of the effects of prenatal exposure to inhalants in humans
has been conducted, and it is not possible to link prenatal exposure to a specific chemical to a
specific birth defect or developmental problem.

References
Brick, J. (1998). Inhalants, Technical Document No. 3. Yardley, PA: Intoxikon International.

Broussard, L. (1999). Inhalants. In B. Levine (Ed.). Principles of forensic toxicology (pp 345-353). Washington: American Association for Clinical Chemistry.

Kolecki, P and Shih, R. (2003). Inhalant abuse. In J. Brick (Ed.). Handbook of the medical consequences of alcohol and drug abuse (pp 579-607). New York: Haworth Medical Press.

pulled from wicked roots

i felt ill when i used butane and now i know why

Aligee

Aligee

Interesting as Ive recently been making butane honey oil (whitefire !!!!)
and love it i use high grade butane with very low impurities I'm wondering how safe this oil really is no ill effects as of yet !!! I'll keep on toking for now aliG

Y

YoungDizZle

i appreciate your thread 20north, but you have gone about giving information in a bad way (imo) on the other thread. MY question to u is are we inhaling gas? i use vector it is 5x refinded or a more expecsive brand with less than .003% of total impurities and then purge on a double boiler for long time then let stand two or tree days till hard like rock candy. so i really wounder what inhalant studies have to do with BHO made with clean tane and purged cuz there is no inhaling of gas at this point.

obtaining info is what i like to do so please allow me to pick your brain on subject matter. thx

aldus

aldus

Someone needs to GC a sample of oil and see if there is any butane left in it.

S

Slips

I know for a fact that if you purge correctly and for a long period of time you can get the butane out ...

My worry is all the oil that is not-purged right ... only smoke oil you have made and purged correctly

i also worry about

i use vector it is 5x refinded or a more expecsive brand with less than .003% of total impurities

that seems like a very little about but after you purge the butane out it all adds up into god forbid what chemicals your smoking ...

and I agree that flaming is not the answer

posting informative information is a different story though

20north

i am no scientist but i believe from my own experiance smoking stuff with a hakko soldering iron VS using a butane lighter i feel theres a difference in how my body reacts entirely to the medication ..

yes i like vector too its only thing i would refill lighters with on the other hand if there is low impurities there are still impurities ... making bho requires you to empty the entire bottle of butane to extract the resin that entire bottle .. is going to have more impurities than just using a lighter everday

i just feel like if nobody says hey this is totaly crazy find another method young dizzle people are never ever ever going to look for a new method MAYBE a safer and more potent way to extract what it is we want

like if no not many people are scratching at what the health setbacks might be we wont know that fast . i would just like to see less of the same thing more inovation

ive been taking 2 peices of glass about 5 inches wide | and about a foot long - i put freshly cut buds or frosty trim in between these 2 peices of glass and then i push them back and forth while squeezing to get the resin heads on the glass........................ i end up with 2 very foggy frosty covered pieces of glass!!!!! i then take a razor blade and scrape the resin off the 2 pieces of 5''x12''glass and you get a translucent glob of super natural hash you could call this scissor hash but your not cutting the buds so your not getting impurities like scissor hash if done correctly... all the 215ers i talk to like this method and like the product and the buds can still be tumbled/ sifted and washed in ethanol

20north

yes people dont push hard enough to say WE ALL MUST PURGE OUR OIL kinda thing .... i dunno ive been calling bho tubes youtubes because they are everywhere on youtube and of course youtube doesnt talk about safety people smoke it while its still cold

T

TheMadHatter

If done correctly BHO is some dank shit.

:ridinghorse:

20north

true but time will tell ive seen soo much bho that tastes like chemicals from people claiming its medical grade and charging high prices for it..

ive noticed butane in lighters might make me feel dizzy or something im unsure but i have stoped using them since august i have blacked out from taking bong bowl of bubble after bowl and then feeling terrible and blacking out for several seconds .. i never feel like this when i use a soldering iron to heat the meds works way better i bet it works for oil too

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uKnkjtaZJU[/YOUTUBE]

M

matkins1234

I HIGHLY doubt anyone has suffered chronic nuerologic effects from using butane to light a bowl, or smoking butane extracts.

This article is specifically referring to huffing (inhaling) pure butane. These same risks are present with ANY inhalant, that's why I don't do that shit.

However, as far as hash oil is concerned, you're not actually inhaling pure butane, you're inhaling the bi-product of evaporated butane + THC. Am I going to say it's healthy for you? No, I realize that there are many impurities present in honey oil.

That being said, I know people that have been smoking honey oil for years without having any long term nuerological effects.

The key to this is simply the fact that you are not inhaling butane, but smoke vapor off a butane bi-product.

As far as lighters are concerned, I use Bics, which use very impure butane i'm sure, and I don't notice any difference in the high from that and when I use a glass wand, because it's a benign amount of butane being inhaled, such as when you smoke hash oil.

The only difference I notice between the glass wand and a lighter in all honesty is how fast the bowl burns, way faster with the wand :-D

B

bicycle racer

that study was based on inhaling butane gas on purpose or being exposed to high amounts of gas. that study has no correlation to making butane properly as in outdoors or smoking the finished product. all bho should of course be purged even if it has not been the amounts present are no where near the amounts needed to produce the effects listed in that study. besides that most people use a lighter to smoke with anyways. once butane is ignited it is destroyed and not the same compound it was before ignition this includes any micro amounts present in poorly made bho. yes if you inhale large amounts of butane or many other concentrated gases you can die. this does not apply to smoking bho.

Hashmasta-Kut

Hashmasta-Kut

Supporter
almost any gas will make ya pass out lol, and butane is far less toxic than many. hexane is a prime example of a much more unsafe solvent.

H

headband707

Yeah they have known this for along time .. Thats why crackheads are fucked too they keep sucking back the butane and crack . I would say light the joint without sucking on it with the lighter lite. Matches are just as bad with the sulfer lol peace out Headband707

Hashmasta-Kut

Hashmasta-Kut

Supporter
umm, i dont think butane has anything to do with crackheads having generally low moral character and health.

S

strainman

Premium Member
Supporter
Yeah they have known this for along time .. Thats why crackheads are fucked too they keep sucking back the butane and crack

LOL i think the butane fumes is the least of a crackheads problem!

H

headband707

LOL LOL I agree with that lol but if your sucking the butane every hour your going to be fucked lol lol.. But yeah that is the lest of their problem.. I heard this at an outreach center peace out Headband707

Y

YoungDizZle

umm, i dont think butane has anything to do with crackheads having generally low moral character and health.

if it were only a butane thing then i guess crack is okay. lol. hmk is dead ass right CRACK is the problem with crackheads not butane

H

headband707

This is part of a post from Tex Kid

Here are some common solvent boiling points:
(Consider them all toxic but the ones labelled "toxic" are REALLY nasty...)

ACETONE (dimethyl ketone, ketone propanone, propanone)
bp 56.48 C

BENZENE (C6H6, benzol, phenyl hydride, coal naptha) (included for comparison and cautions...you wouldn't want it around yourself anyway)
bp 80.1 C,
TOXIC: 3000 ppm vapor considered high concentration, toxic via inhalation or skin absorption as well as oral ingestion, prolonged inhalation of low concentrations also toxic
NOTE: do not confuse with benzine which is a petroleum distillate
Caution: TOXIC: Benzene is a recognized leukemogen (causes leukemia)!

BUTANE (C4H10, n-butane, methylethyl methane, butyl hydride)
bp -0.5 C

CHLOROFORM (CHCL3, trichloromethane)
bp 62.26 C,

DICHLOROMETHANE see methylene chloride

DECANE (CH3(CH2)8CH3)
bp aprox 174 C

DIETHYL ETHER (C2H5-O-C2H5, ether, ethyl ether, anesthesia ether, ethyl oxide)
bp 35 C

ETHYL ALCOHOL (ethanol, methyl corbinol, spirit of wine, grain alcohol, Everclear, 95%)
bp 78.32 C,
note: there have been reports of people using denatured alcohol as a solvent.

NOT a good idea if the result is for human or animal use.
May be ok if it is denatured only with something that will be eliminated when the solvent is boiled off (e.g. with methyl alcohol).

If you don't ABSOUTELY know that you can eliminate the denaturant, then don't use denatured alcohol!
Results varying from death to blindness could result!

KEROSENE
bp 175-325

HEPTANE (C7H16)
bp aprox 98 C

HEXANE (C6H14)
bp aprox 69 C

ISOPROPYL ALCOHOL (dimethyl alcohol, sec-propyl alcohol, isopropanol)
bp 80.3 C,

METHYL ALCOHOL (methanol, wood alcohol)
bp 64.8 C,
TOXIC !! death to blindness can result from it's ingestion!

METHYLENE CHLORIDE (CH2Cl2, dichloromethane)
bp 39.8
TOXIC!!

NAPTHA, V.M. & P. (benzine, 76 degree naptha)
bp 100-140 C,

NAPTHA, V.M. & P.
bp 138-165 C,

NONANE (C9H20, n-nonane)
bp aprox 151 C

OCTANE (C8H18)
bp aprox 126 C

PENTANE (C5H12, n-pentane)
bp aprox 36 C

PETROLEUM SPIRITS (petroleum benzine, petroleum naptha, light ligroin, petroleum ether, mineral spirits)
bp 35-180 C,

alpha-TRICHLOROETHANE (CH3CCl3, 1,1,1-trichloroethane, methyl chloroform)
bp 74.1 C,

TOLUENE (C6H5CH3, methylbenzene, phenylmethane, toluol)
bp 110.4 C

TURPENTINE (spirit of turpentine, turpentine gum, turpentine oil)
bp 154-170 C

WATER (H2O)
bp 100 C (212 F)
Amazing solvent that you can actually drink!

XYLENE (C6H4(CH3)2)
(m-xylene) bp 139 C
(o-xylene) bp 144.4 C
(p-xylene) bp 138.3 C

This part is from me peace out Headband707
Causes that butane has on health:
Inhalation of butane can cause euphoria, drowsiness, narcosis, asphyxia, cardiac arrhythmia, and frostbite which can result in death from asphyxiation and ventricular fibrillation. Butane is the most commonly misused volatile substance in the UK, and was the cause of 52% of "solvent related" deaths in 2000.[2] By spraying butane directly into the throat, the jet of fluid can cool rapidly to –20 °C by expansion, causing prolonged laryngospasm.[3] "Sudden sniffer's death" syndrome, first described by Bass in 1970,[4] is the most common single cause of "solvent related" death, resulting in 55% of known fatal cases.[3]

The paper "Emission of nitrogen dioxide from butane gas heaters and stoves indoors", from the American Journal of Applied Sciences, indicates that nitrogen dioxide, a toxic gas, results from buring Butane gas, and represents a human health hazard from home heaters and stoves.

Butane gas cylinder used for cooking.
Butane being sprayed from an aerosol spray can.[edit]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom