Never worked with duct before - is it ok to shorten the duct in the tent?

• Thread starter the123321
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
the123321

the123321

I am looking at the 32x32 tent with the ac infinity 6" fan with carbon filter on it. I would likely have the fan with the filter at the top of the back of the tent with filter then fan then duct to exhaust right out the top hole in the tent that is under a wire shelf with the meanwell driver for the led quantum board to have air from tent point at bottom of driver which means I do not need duct once it gets out of that hole. I only need like 1 foot of duct if even that to go out from the fan then angle it up to go out of the hole in the top of the tent. I looked for insulated duct but it is expensive on there.

https://www.amazon.com/AC-Infinity-Heavy-Duty-Four-Layer-Ventilation/dp/B07WNK7N7F/

I found this ac infinity duct that is 8 feet long and is some of the shortest I have found. I know that duct does compress. Do you think that 8 foot long duct would work for what I need or would I need to cut it? Is it ok to cut that duct or would it fall apart if you do that? Would insulated duct make a big difference in noise for only that 1 foot of duct that I need on there?

Would a duct elbow work instead of duct on there? It looks like would be all I would need to point the air from the fan up out of the hole at the top of the tent on there.

Last edited:
GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
I am looking at the 32x32 tent with the ac infinity 6" fan with carbon filter on it. I would likely have the fan with the filter at the top of the back of the tent with filter then fan then duct to exhaust right out the top hole in the tent that is under a wire shelf with the meanwell driver for the led quantum board to have air from tent point at bottom of driver which means I do not need duct once it gets out of that hole. I only need like 1 foot of duct if even that to go out from the fan then angle it up to go out of the hole in the top of the tent. I looked for insulated duct but it is expensive on there.

https://www.amazon.com/AC-Infinity-Heavy-Duty-Four-Layer-Ventilation/dp/B07WNK7N7F/

I found this ac infinity duct that is 8 feet long and is some of the shortest I have found. I know that duct does compress. Do you think that 8 foot long duct would work for what I need or would I need to cut it? Is it ok to cut that duct or would it fall apart if you do that? Would insulated duct make a big difference in noise for only that 1 foot of duct that I need on there?

Would a duct elbow work instead of duct on there? It looks like would be all I would need to point the air from the fan up out of the hole at the top of the tent on there.
you should be exhausting that air outside of the house.
no you don’t need insulated duct, regular duct is easy to cut/work with.
photos of what your trying to do will help out here.

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

One of my biggest regrets when I set this up few years ago is I didn't buy the insulated duct, if I were you I would by 25 ft., it's cheap and you may need the extra at some point; as far as cutting it cut away, just use a little duct tape to secure where your cut, good luck!

Ps. Agree with Nick you want to vent it out of your growing area; in the winter I use it for extra heat in another room, in the summer it goes out the window

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
One of my biggest regrets when I set this up few years ago is I didn't buy the insulated duct, if I were you I would by 25 ft., it's cheap and you may need the extra at some point; as far as cutting it cut away, just use a little duct tape to secure where your cut, good luck!

Ps. Agree with Nick you want to vent it out of your growing area; in the winter I use it for extra heat in another room, in the summer it goes out the window
ya it should go out, in case of something bad being recirculated back in the tent or heat issues.
it’s good as now they know what they may have to do in their set up.
prevention is key as growing is enough work half the time!.

the123321

the123321

Thanks. I do not really have the option to vent it out of the closet now. I would likely keep the door to the closet open most of the time. The tent is 32x32 and the fan is like 12 inches and the filter is like 16 inches which may not let it fit out of the top of the tent. The 25 foot duct seems like it would be a waste with me only using like 1 foot of the duct on there. Do you think it would make that much of a difference in noise with only 1 foot of it being used on there?

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
Thanks. I do not really have the option to vent it out of the closet now. I would likely keep the door to the closet open most of the time. The tent is 32x32 and the fan is like 12 inches and the filter is like 16 inches which may not let it fit out of the top of the tent. The 25 foot duct seems like it would be a waste with me only using like 1 foot of the duct on there. Do you think it would make that much of a difference in noise with only 1 foot of it being used on there?
i don’t notice any bothering “noise” just my fans..
try it and see,

the123321

the123321

Thanks. The fan is likely going to be right under the hole in the top of the tent. Do you think I could put the hole sock directly on the fan exhaust instead of using the duct on there?

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Mine's loud as hell it's one of those big green ones I think it's Hydrofarm or something like that

the123321

the123321

Thanks. The tent is only 32x32. I do not have much room in there. I looked in it and it looks like I may not be able to do filter > fan > exhaust due to not having enough room to do it in 1 straight line to the exhaust. I may have to do filter > duct > fan > exhaust with the filter pointed one way then an right angle to the fan then a right angle elbow up into the exhaust hole. Do you think that will work on there?

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Thanks. The tent is only 32x32. I do not have much room in there. I looked in it and it looks like I may not be able to do filter > fan > exhaust due to not having enough room to do it in 1 straight line to the exhaust. I may have to do filter > duct > fan > exhaust with the filter pointed one way then an right angle to the fan then a right angle elbow up into the exhaust hole. Do you think that will work on there?
I keep my filter inside, on the tent roof with a short length of ducting that goes to the top hole of the tent where my fan sits outside on the tent roof, and from there it is exhausted outside, or in the winter into another room to utilize the Heat

C

CocoFun

you should be exhausting that air outside of the house.
no you don’t need insulated duct, regular duct is easy to cut/work with.
photos of what your trying to do will help NOOOOOOOOO, HE SHOULD, be doing whatever the hell works for him. YOU SHOULD NOT tell people what they should do, but rather give them advice.....like why should he exhaust out of his house? My 4x8, 4x3 aren't exhausted outta my house, my sits clean and smells beautiful. Sooooo take your "SHOULD", sit on it, and spin.

Top Bottom