New build, Looking for Contractor's..

• Thread starter GR33NL3AF
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
GR33NL3AF

GR33NL3AF

I'm looking to add on to my current room which is located on the second story of my home. I currently have (2) 4x8 coco beds, each with about 129 gallons of medium per 4x8 and would like to add another 4x8.

After a little research it seems most home's floors are built to withstand 30psf.. My space is 14'x9' giving me roughly 3700lbs to play with.. The entire room is about 178sqft

Here are my numbers:
50L of coco = 17KG (37.4lb) Which seems a bit high...

10 bags per 4x8 - 500L - 132 gallons - 375lbs (plus tray, rolling framework, casters) lets call it 400lbs per 4x8 table.

This would put me at approximately 1200lbs with 3 dry coco beds...

I usually hit each 4x8 with 25 gallons and get 4-5 gallons runoff, leaving 20 gallons behind, approx. 170lbs of additional weight per bed.

Now I'm at 1710lbs of weight from (3) wet 4x8 beds

Each bed has 4 legs with casters..

I also need to include my 55 gallon drum... another 500lbs of water weight..

What do you guy's think?? Doable?

Natural

Natural

I'd say you're pretty safe..but what year was your house built in? If it was built with joist hanger (simpson strong ties) and staggered per-floor joist pattern I would bet money it would hold up. If it's one of those old houses that was framed and engineered to rely on a cantilever type construction..where the outside perimeter wall studs carry all the way up through the second story. I would then begin to have my doubts..as their might not be enough carrying load in those old fasteners. Also it would be nice if you had a load bearing wall beneath the room and/or very close to it's framing.

GR33NL3AF

GR33NL3AF

I'd say you're pretty safe..but what year was your house built in? If it was built with joist hanger (simpson strong ties) and staggered per-floor joist pattern I would bet money it would hold up. If it's one of those old houses that was framed and engineered to rely on a cantilever type construction..where the outside perimeter wall studs carry all the way up through the second story. I would then begin to have my doubts..as their might not be enough carrying load in those old fasteners. Also it would be nice if you had a load bearing wall beneath the room and/or very close to it's framing.
Built in 1980... I suppose I could look further into the homes building specs...

Natural

Natural

Built in 1980... I suppose I could look further into the homes building specs...
80's sounds good...take a look at the basement if ya have one..you should have a look at what you're dealing with. First thing I would do is go in there and jump up and down with my 200 lbs and see if it can shake..lol. I know that sounds crazy..but not all homes are built with the same quality. Having a carpenter buddy is always helpful..or just keep researching your house.

GR33NL3AF

GR33NL3AF

80's sounds good...take a look at the basement if ya have one..you should have a look at what you're dealing with. First thing I would do is go in there and jump up and down with my 200 lbs and see if it can shake..lol. I know that sounds crazy..but not all homes are built with the same quality. Having a carpenter buddy is always helpful..or just keep researching your house.
Are you in CO? I have built over a hundred gardens here. Some of them have actually worked. :) pm

Haha

No basement, I'm in CA..

respect

respect

Grower of Herb
Supporter
Sonoma County..

Damn well that counts me out lol. I'd take a look but I'm in LA. See if you can find out if your room is over a load bearing wall.

Good luck homeboy. I think you'll be ok regardless because it was built in the 80s. What's the exterior made of? Also if you know who built it ask them if they used Simpson hangers? If I was betting on this I'd take that bet! ;)

One last thing what is directly below the room? Are there any walls below the center of the room?

GR33NL3AF

GR33NL3AF

Damn well that counts me out lol. I'd take a look but I'm in LA. See if you can find out if your room is over a load bearing wall.

Good luck homeboy. I think you'll be ok regardless because it was built in the 80s. What's the exterior made of? Also if you know who built it ask them if they used Simpson hangers? If I was betting on this I'd take that bet! ;)

One last thing what is directly below the room? Are there any walls below the center of the room?
I reached out to an engineer and am going to contact my contractor buddy... Directly under the room is my living room, lol. Nothing supporting the center of the room.

If I were to place 2x10 runners on the floor and use this to rest the casters on do you think this will help distribute the weight better? 2 long weight points instead of 12 small ones..

respect

respect

Grower of Herb
Supporter
I reached out to an engineer and am going to contact my contractor buddy... Directly under the room is my living room, lol. Nothing supporting the center of the room.

If I were to place 2x10 runners on the floor and use this to rest the casters on do you think this will help distribute the weight better? 2 long weight points instead of 12 small ones..

Yes but make sure you run them the opposite way of the floor ;).

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

You should be fine green,just dont put your couch underneath one of the tables;)

Top Bottom