New Bulbs = prettier harvests?

• Thread starter Mallory Potbag
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
M

Mallory Potbag

If i were to change my bulbs once a year would it make my girls more crystaly and or hopefully better structure/shape. i heard that helps from one person but ive also heard from someone else that buying new bulbs helps crystal formation only for the first few months, then the spectrum stays the same untill the light's eventualy burn out.

which is true?

Dr. Detroit

Dr. Detroit

The spectrum won't alter, but the intensity will greatly improve with new bulbs. I change the lights at bare minimum once a year. You will notice a difference. To increase resin and THC production remember to supplement with the UVB portion of the spectrum using either unshielded Metal Halides or specialty reptile bulbs.

A

AliasAO

The spectrum won't alter, but the intensity will greatly improve with new bulbs. I change the lights at bare minimum once a year. You will notice a difference. To increase resin and THC production remember to supplement with the UVB portion of the spectrum using either unshielded Metal Halides or specialty reptile bulbs.

for someone who is pushing 1000Watts like myself would you reccommend using a MH 1000W in VEG then switch to the 1000W HPS during flower?

Thanx DR.

--AO

R

Relaxed420

for someone who is pushing 1000Watts like myself would you reccommend using a MH 1000W in VEG then switch to the 1000W HPS during flower?

Thanx DR.

--AO

1000% on mh on veg...., if you can, last two weeks of flower use as well and you will see a difference in frosty goodness!

PS. Change bulbs at least once a year for best production about every third cycle is what has always been rwcomended

A

AliasAO

1000% on mh on veg...., if you can, last two weeks of flower use as well and you will see a difference in frosty goodness!

PS. Change bulbs at least once a year for best production about every third cycle is what has always been rwcomended

Good looking on the info relaxed it makes sense considering the temp and spectrum differences.

Im going to start with the MH in VEG nxt grow around since I just flipped my plants to flower. Ive thought about switching to MH the last two weeks of flower but Ive heard to it gives the plants a nasty shock.

What results have u gotten from using MH VEG-HPS FLOWER-Last 2 wKs MH Method?

What are your yeilds like compared to MH VEG- only HPS flower?

420Gator

420Gator

I've read a lot about changing to mh last 2 weeks of flower, both good and bad. I'm just gonna stick with the hps. Be careful guys

R

Relaxed420

no noticeable different in yield, however the buds were def more frosty, one nug was getting both spectrum on it kinda right in the middle between the HPS and MH and you could see a line of frost right in the middle like a shadow might make, I was trippin' when I saw it, made a believer out of me. I ran a perpetual in which 1 light of 8 was an MH, last two weeks of any plants life in the room was spent under that MH and I had frosty buds in the end, only did two runs like that tho, so maybe it was just lucky for me, in my current garden it is not set up to do this without switching out bulbs and it's not going to be done just yet just because it's a large job and I don't have the time or energy just yet to start back to doing it, when it was one light constantly on in the room like it was, it was cool.

Dr. Detroit

Dr. Detroit

UVB spectral inclusion is critical to resin production and THC percentage.

It's been scientifically proven in the article: UV-B RADIATION EFFECTS ON PHOTOSYNTHESIS, GROWTH AND CANNABINOID PRODUCTION OF TWO Cannabis Sativa CHEMOTYPES.
By: JOHN LYDON, ALAN H. TERAMULA and C. BENJAMIN COFFMAN.
Department of Botany, University of Maryland, College Park, MD 20742, USA.

I can't seem to find a copy online, but it's a rigorous study and quite conclusive.

V

vancerz

i use only HPS and still bust out trics all over, MH is not needed for frosty buds.

Sa2
Dr. Detroit

Dr. Detroit

Ah, but the number of trichomes isn't what's important; it's the amount of THC present in the capitate-stalked trichomes that gets you high. What the UVB supplementation does is increase THC production (simultaneously decreasing CBD output) and increase resin production.

Go and read that study that I referenced earlier. You can't refute the scientific method.

Here's a link explaining trichomes in depth:

http://www.cannabisculture.com/v2/content/inside-trichome

V

vancerz

"UVB spectral inclusion is critical to resin production and THC percentage."-Dr. Detroit

my plants with no UVB are resin machines as you can see UVB was not critical and I can comment on the THC because I smoked it, it was right up there with anything I get from clubs,friends or my outdoor.

.... trichomes are a good indicator of THC but your right about it not necessarily meaning its high in THC, my point is you DONT need UVB to bust out high quality high THC meds, no one ever complains about my stuff lacking any power, in fact its the opposite. And yes I have bloomed with HPS and MH.

also my cabin is at 4700 feet in the mountains lot of UVB there and my outdoors are not any better then my indoors potency wise just from my personal observation I don't think its as huge of a factor as some people are trying to make it, reminds me of people painting there floors white to get that .01 growth increase wile i cant argue it wont help its just not worth it most growers.

I_Love_THC

I_Love_THC

Well, it's an interesting topic... And, before everything else, it's imortant to know what THC and other canabinoids are used for by the plant...
btw - excuse me if my terminology is not perfect - English is my second...
Canabinoids have 3 main roles for the plants:
They reppel or kill some bugs, insects and even animals.
Once a plant has been pollinated, they protect the seed from the UV light, coming from the nuclear fusion lamp, a.k.a. Sun, haha... So, the more time the plant is not being pollinated, the long the plant can prepare for that and continue producing THC, which it turn, breaks down to other canabinoids and so forth...
And third, canabinoids are sticky - they help capturing pollen and in some ways help retaining water in the leaves /but, said in that way it's kinda arguable... otherwise, it's too damn long, hehe/...
So, the more UV light you got, the more resign... I suppose... the hotter/the colder - the more resign, I suppose... I suppose - keep that in mind if wanna argue, hehe - just did some reading, can't tell if it's true, tough, friends... But, one thing is for sure - when it comes to light, if it covers the minimum of 20 000 Lx, nothing increases potency... Maybe more THC will be formed, but more of it will be breaking down - that's just how the plant uses canabinoids, hehe... Potency - it's about genes, I think. Maybe you'll have a better yield or more white crystals, but it won't affect the quality. That's one of the main reasons why some genes are being kept in secret, I guess, hehe...
Hope I was useful, friends.
Wish you all lots of Love!
Peace and Blessings from the THC Lover, hehe.

D

DixinCider

new bulbs are brigher, they penetrate deeper into the canopy

Dr. Detroit

Dr. Detroit

"UVB spectral inclusion is critical to resin production and THC percentage."-Dr. Detroit

my plants with no UVB are resin machines as you can see UVB was not critical and I can comment on the THC because I smoked it, it was right up there with anything I get from clubs,friends or my outdoor.

.... trichomes are a good indicator of THC but your right about it not necessarily meaning its high in THC, my point is you DONT need UVB to bust out high quality high THC meds, no one ever complains about my stuff lacking any power, in fact its the opposite. And yes I have bloomed with HPS and MH.

also my cabin is at 4700 feet in the mountains lot of UVB there and my outdoors are not any better then my indoors potency wise just from my personal observation I don't think its as huge of a factor as some people are trying to make it, reminds me of people painting there floors white to get that .01 growth increase wile i cant argue it wont help its just not worth it most growers.

Actually altitude from sea level would be fairly irrelevant to UVB levels, though latitude is quite important to them. It's why feral plants at the equator are so much more THC dominant than those at higher latitudes: UVB proportion. You're at a relatively high latitude to grow exceptional cannabis outdoors compared to say, The Congo or Columbia...

This guy runs down the peer-reviewed article fairly concisely:

Go and buy a cheap reptile CFL and point it at a particular bud for a few weeks prior to harvest and then tell me that UVB plays no role. It's easily observable by anyone if you don't believe me.

I_Love_THC

I_Love_THC

Hello, friends!
Well, that's kinda speculative - about the Sativas at the Equator and Indicas for say in India... but, let's skip that - I have a question.
How do you think the THC content or the CBD content or the CBG content is being measured? There are two main ways - one, is to measure the percantage upon the other canabinoids and two, is to measure it upon all the organic substances belonging to the buds... So, it's important to know that THC breaks down to CBD... Even more important is the fact THC breaks down because of heat or UV waves coming from the Sun...
Now that we know that, it's important to realize that the UV light causes more intensive production of resign, which is good - our plants look frostier... But, as more THC and other canabinoids are being produced, more of the the THC breaks down - that's just how it is.
The article is interesting, but also confusing - if someone didn't know that the words there are not the absolute truth...
But, it's also important to know that the ratio between the two main psychoactive canabinoids THC ans CBD is all about what the plant gets from its genes. Why - we go back to the speculation on C. Sativa and C. Indica - we all know that even if taken out of their natural habitat, they remain absolutely the same in effect... maybe not in appearance, but the effect is the same - the get that from their genes... That's why I see the comparison between the two cannabis families as speculative - you can't know why the genes are like that, so it's absolutely in humans' nature to try find the answer in a field they know, friends...
Yes, new bulbs will provide more yield and resign, but the potency will be the same...
I will get this reptile bulb and see if there really is a difference - of course, I wouldn't be expecting anything during smoking...
I'm currently growing Orange Bud from Dutch Passion, and got a very interesting pheno - I think it's Sativa dominant, because of the bud structure, but there is nothing else to it that speaks of Sativa - I got HPS /2050K/ and two CFL's - 6500K and 2700K - pretty much no difference even in resign production, hehe... :)
Peace and Love, friends...

V

vancerz

Actually altitude from sea level would be fairly irrelevant to UVB levels, though latitude is quite important to them. It's why feral plants at the equator are so much more THC dominant than those at higher latitudes: UVB proportion. You're at a relatively high latitude to grow exceptional cannabis outdoors compared to say, The Congo or Columbia...

This guy runs down the peer-reviewed article fairly concisely:

Go and buy a cheap reptile CFL and point it at a particular bud for a few weeks prior to harvest and then tell me that UVB plays no role. It's easily observable by anyone if you don't believe me.

Once agin my out doors are still not any stronger then my indoors

ONCE AGIN!

I proved you wrong with a simple picture real proof (they say a 1000 words you know) not some lame ass study you pulled out of your ass and have no real personal experience in.

your statements that UVB is critical are way over exaggerated and shows how little you really know, I showed how UVB was critical in no way to my resin and THC production with actual proof you can see. you can keep your reptile light, ill continue to grow my frosty dank. while you toss your money down the trash.

and if what your saying is true post a picture of your UVB buds I would love to see what it does to there resin and THC production if its so critical.

Not only that lets see what the peer review said I doubt you read it other wise you would have not used this to defend yourself since it backs ME up.

"I can't really say for certain what kind of effects UV-B would have on your plants. I just kept finding research about it as I looked into it. It would seem that UV-B was important to get cannabis to create a compound like cannabinoids, but I can't say if it is really that important now."

"Just to let you all know that this was written in 2004, and I have learned a lot since then, and somewhat revised my ideas about this. I should edit it, but didn't have the time right now. Maybe sometime soon."-2010

"Just as a strange side-note, while trying to find a copy of David Pate's dissertation, I just found out that he works for Hortapharm! That is Sam Skunkman's company, and when discussing this article, Sam had said that he did an experiment with Pate that was never published where they found no increase in THC from UV-B exposure (and the only scientific paper I've ever read that reported no change in drug-type varieties). I'm not sure what to make of this, yet, but I do find it a little interesting.

(edit)It also looks like he wrote a chapter for the book Advances in Hemp Research, published in 1999, titled "The Phytochemistry of Cananbis: It's Ecological and Evolutionary Implications". The title sounds a lot like mine, and I was able to read some of the pages from Google, but it is incomplete. He says in it explicitly, citing the Lydon '87 article I wrote an excerpt of the abstract above:
Quote:Their experiments demonstrate that under conditions of high UV-B exposure, drug-type Cannabis produces significantly greater quantities of THC.

I find it strange that David Pate wrote this, when Sam Skunkman says that they did an experiment together that showed no difference. Hell, Pate's Ph.D. dissertation was all about the effects of light on Cannabis. Something is not adding up."

"Nevil
I did experiments with UV light. I described it somewhere. Plants burn unless they are conditioned to it. I found no increase in potency or change in the character of the high. It's a dead horse.
N."

ill take real experience over bullshit papers anyday.

I_Love_THC

I_Love_THC

Still, there is a noteworthy difference between hardcore science and manipulative science, which is kinda the this case - if I were the owner of a company that produces condoms, do you know what my choice for a second bussiness would be - producing baby pacifiers, since I'll be making shitty condoms...
Well, still - trichs are not just about light and cannabinoids, though more light, usually means more trichs... Cannabinoids are just resin - that's the natural response of the plant to colder/too hot weather - it helps 'em retain or get rid of excess water... So, yeah - more Lumens=more yield. More yield=prettier harvest... But, huge buds are not always the best thing about cannabis /if you asked me - it usually isn't/ - I usually prefer strains with lower yield, since they can put more energy to get to a different point in their development, but that sth else.
We can't deny that outdoor plants are better - bigger, not being controlled and just live their lives... But, when the Light is not moving, they have to protect theirselves more - therefore, more resign is present...
We may never really find that missing link between artificial lights and the Sun's energy - but, we can always enjoy their fruits... So, let's light the joints up, taste and feel it within - who cares if it's not great-looking according to someone - it's not for looking or admiring, it's because that's who we are - cannabinoid are present in the structure of ANY neuro-transmitter /mediator/, so it's clear that they were a main factor that helped creating our higher nervous system, while there are no such centers in our brain for that vitamin C that we get from the Pharmacie, so it's normal that there is some mystery around cannabinoids - that's why, the scientific info on them is usually from the second kind - the manipulative science... In this case - being book-smart is not enough, you have to get the insights, hehe... So, I agree with vancerz, hehe...
Lots of Love from the THC Lover, friends!
Peace and Blessings.

M

mrcableking

no noticeable different in yield, however the buds were def more frosty, one nug was getting both spectrum on it kinda right in the middle between the HPS and MH and you could see a line of frost right in the middle like a shadow might make, I was trippin' when I saw it, made a believer out of me. I ran a perpetual in which 1 light of 8 was an MH, last two weeks of any plants life in the room was spent under that MH and I had frosty buds in the end, only did two runs like that tho, so maybe it was just lucky for me, in my current garden it is not set up to do this without switching out bulbs and it's not going to be done just yet just because it's a large job and I don't have the time or energy just yet to start back to doing it, when it was one light constantly on in the room like it was, it was cool.

I also see that same shadow effect on the side where my 400 bare mh is.

Dr. Detroit

Dr. Detroit

Once agin my out doors are still not any stronger then my indoors

ONCE AGIN!

I proved you wrong with a simple picture real proof (they say a 1000 words you know) not some lame ass study you pulled out of your ass and have no real personal experience in.

your statements that UVB is critical are way over exaggerated and shows how little you really know, I showed how UVB was critical in no way to my resin and THC production with actual proof you can see. you can keep your reptile light, ill continue to grow my frosty dank. while you toss your money down the trash.

and if what your saying is true post a picture of your UVB buds I would love to see what it does to there resin and THC production if its so critical.

Not only that lets see what the peer review said I doubt you read it other wise you would have not used this to defend yourself since it backs ME up.

"I can't really say for certain what kind of effects UV-B would have on your plants. I just kept finding research about it as I looked into it. It would seem that UV-B was important to get cannabis to create a compound like cannabinoids, but I can't say if it is really that important now."

"Just to let you all know that this was written in 2004, and I have learned a lot since then, and somewhat revised my ideas about this. I should edit it, but didn't have the time right now. Maybe sometime soon."-2010

"Just as a strange side-note, while trying to find a copy of David Pate's dissertation, I just found out that he works for Hortapharm! That is Sam Skunkman's company, and when discussing this article, Sam had said that he did an experiment with Pate that was never published where they found no increase in THC from UV-B exposure (and the only scientific paper I've ever read that reported no change in drug-type varieties). I'm not sure what to make of this, yet, but I do find it a little interesting.

(edit)It also looks like he wrote a chapter for the book Advances in Hemp Research, published in 1999, titled "The Phytochemistry of Cananbis: It's Ecological and Evolutionary Implications". The title sounds a lot like mine, and I was able to read some of the pages from Google, but it is incomplete. He says in it explicitly, citing the Lydon '87 article I wrote an excerpt of the abstract above:
Quote:Their experiments demonstrate that under conditions of high UV-B exposure, drug-type Cannabis produces significantly greater quantities of THC.

I find it strange that David Pate wrote this, when Sam Skunkman says that they did an experiment together that showed no difference. Hell, Pate's Ph.D. dissertation was all about the effects of light on Cannabis. Something is not adding up."

"Nevil
I did experiments with UV light. I described it somewhere. Plants burn unless they are conditioned to it. I found no increase in potency or change in the character of the high. It's a dead horse.
N."

ill take real experience over bullshit papers anyday.

Wow, you really like to highlight in red. Do you feel that that color makes your argument compelling, or does it just make you seem like someone with too much emotional attachment to an internet message board?

I like to highlight your type when I start with a fresh batch of new growers. We'll just refer to you as the Know-It-all grower. You have your method, you're entranced by your produce and couldn't ever admit its faults, and experimentation (and often the ability to learn) has ceased completely on the subject. Your "frosty dank" would possibly throw you into a crying spell if a medical collective buyer rejected it or offered a realistic price. I've seen it many times.

UVB is a supplemental part of the lighting spectrum in my designs, usually compromising approximately ten to fifteen percent of the total wattage. It's included for a reason: its easily observable success. Any idiot can spend twelve bucks and see for themselves, though you seem to be the one that considers that an enormous amount to waste in the pursuit of quality...

By the way, your hero Nevil shows us his mistakes with his own words. He didn't understand the fundamental nature of the UVB-THC connection, which is that UVB reacts with CBD to catalyze THC. By thinking that he needed to "Condition" the plants beforehand because they were burning shows that he never understood the methodology behind UVB supplementation. The bulb (reptile or otherwise) is mounted at an intermediate distance (not as far as high output bulbs, not as close as fluorescents) and only activated during the peak of the light cycle during bloom for a few hours. By artificially simulating the equatorial levels of UVB you get the results that are desired. Light angle and total wattage also play a role, but I'm not here to teach right now.

Great growers look at everything from the plant's point of view. They're also not very likely to be pimping pictures of their work online to impress strangers, (unless a book is about to be released).

By the way, you misspelled 'Again'. Try and be more careful in the future or you may lose the respect of your anonymous internet peers.

Top Bottom