New clones are looking sickly. Need help diagnosing what's going on. Thank you guys!!!!

• Thread starter Millerzzz
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Millerzzz

Millerzzz

Hi everyone. Got these clones from a buddy. 3 gas basket and 3 cherry cosmo. Gas baskets are much further along and looking a little rough. He was growing all 6 in rock wool cubes. I transferred them into a build a soil light mix with some Gaia green amendments. Have the light dimmed down until the roots take but haven't been seeing much progress. Anything helps! Thanks

New clones are looking sickly need help diagnosing whats going on thank you guys
New clones are looking sickly need help diagnosing whats going on thank you guys 2
New clones are looking sickly need help diagnosing whats going on thank you guys 3
New clones are looking sickly need help diagnosing whats going on thank you guys 4
Millerzzz

Millerzzz

@Ganjadad @Moshmen @steamroller @mysticepipedon
Thank you guys for the responses! So these were originally rooted in wool. I have 4 of them in 3 gallons and 2 of the smaller ones in 1 gallons. Ideally I would have liked to have all of them in 3 gals, but my grow space is rather small so I had to throw 2 of them in 1 gals to fit in the tent. I picked up these clones on November 14th and planted them straight in the soil. Sprayed them with a Dr. Zymes solution to help combat potential pest issues for the first two days. Since then I've been watering them when they start looking dry. I am definitely new to the hobby so my watering practices are not the best. Still trying to get the feel for when I should be watering and how much. I'm growing in build a soil 1.0 and gave them the recommended dose of Gaia green all purpose when I made the transplant. I don't really have the funds right now for a RO machine or anything of that nature so I've just been using an air pump with air stones to circulate my tap water. Then I ph the water to 6-7 ph. I havent seen any new growth yet in the plants in the first week so just trying to figure out where I went wrong. Thanks again for any help you guys can give!

Ganjadad

Ganjadad

Just water until you have a little runoff, I know it’s gonna be hard to judge that bc your in fabric pots and they leak water from the sides making it look like you have runoff. Go slow and wait to see water come from the bottom and let dry before watering again. Probably 5-8 days before water again since they are just clones. But that will change as they get older and the temp/rh n the tent. Pick up the pots when they are completely saturated to get a feel for the weight, same thing when they are dry. Don’t add any nutes right now, at least not until you see that they have adjusted to the transplant and to the soil. Probably a few weeks at least. I also use tap water with air pump and stone and is just fine but stop adjusting the ph of the water. You don’t do that with soil. And look into brewing teas one for veg one for flowering. Oh, when growing in soil the plants like it when you leave them alone and let them do there thing. Dont love them to death. Your plants don’t look bad at all, just give them water and a wet/dry cycle and let them recover before doing anything else

W

WannaBeGreenThumbz

YouTube is your best friend when it comes to watering, me personally I liked adding EXTRA perlite and vermiculite too my coco coir and perlite pre mixed combo, it really helped me never have to worry about overwatering.

When I was hand watering them I adapted the Pico up the bucket and feel method you'll get a hang for it as quickly as you learn to not even have to do that anymore, its really only a issue when you forst start learning also helps if you push a finger a half inch into the soil.

Plants talk to us just use sign language once you learn to read the leaves position, coloring, clorosis etc you'll be doing just fine but pike I said right bow YT is your best friend I recommend begginerBuds and if course the epic Canuck grows enjoy your hobby / soon to be new addiction

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

@Ganjadad @Moshmen @steamroller @mysticepipedon
Thank you guys for the responses! So these were originally rooted in wool. I have 4 of them in 3 gallons and 2 of the smaller ones in 1 gallons. Ideally I would have liked to have all of them in 3 gals, but my grow space is rather small so I had to throw 2 of them in 1 gals to fit in the tent. I picked up these clones on November 14th and planted them straight in the soil. Sprayed them with a Dr. Zymes solution to help combat potential pest issues for the first two days. Since then I've been watering them when they start looking dry. I am definitely new to the hobby so my watering practices are not the best. Still trying to get the feel for when I should be watering and how much. I'm growing in build a soil 1.0 and gave them the recommended dose of Gaia green all purpose when I made the transplant. I don't really have the funds right now for a RO machine or anything of that nature so I've just been using an air pump with air stones to circulate my tap water. Then I ph the water to 6-7 ph. I havent seen any new growth yet in the plants in the first week so just trying to figure out where I went wrong. Thanks again for any help you guys can give!
Since they're in one gallon cloth pots, you can easily put them in a shallow pan and water them well. Let the pot soak up the water in the shallow pan for half an hour. You want all the soil and the walls of the cloth pot to be damp when you're done. Then don't water again until the pots feel light in weight.

I think that's all you need to do, at this point. See if they start to thrive soon.

You don't need an RO filter unless there's a lot of dissolved goodies (and baddies) in your water. Let's not jump to conclusions. The plants don't look like they're in bad shape -- just in need of a thorough watering.

steamroller

steamroller

Watering enough for good root growth is the issue.
Fabric and air pots are used to 'air prune 'roots, by discouraging their growth to the dry area.
That is the opposite of what you want for young clones that need rooting help still.
I grow my clones out in plastic and then if I choose, I will change to fabric when I up pot and they are more stable.
IMO it just helps the roots more. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
2Bad

2Bad

Another thing is what are you PH'ing your water with? Hoping something organic . Also you let your water sit for 12-24hours before using right? I agree with everyone above.

M

MasterCookie

Definitely too dry.. seems like a bit of transplant shock.. just ph balance you water to around 6 to 6.4.. and also collect some of your runoff water and test the pH of it to make sure your soil is in spec. You can also check the EC of the runoff to check if the nute isn't in the higher range. I saw on YouTube that build a soil usually are on the upper end of nute conc. Sometimes burns the plants.

Millerzzz

Millerzzz

Thanks again to everyone who responded. It honestly was a quick fix to help them adjust to the transplant... I just needed to give them more water lol! I've suffered from overwatering in the past so I feel like I'm hesitant to water often enough. After that they were doing really well and thriving for about a week or two. Now I'm running into another issue of course. I'm not too sure what it could be, but the tops don't look right and almost look like there wilting. Is there something in particular that will cause this. Can't wait to hear from you guys, you've been a great help so far!

919DF4AE BA4F 436C 9FD4 847753BA72AA
34BA6CD4 7B4B 47AA 979B AC031805599E
82D9A70E 2939 4A07 A84F CE5F38A6AD79
F8D8BA4C 9FB3 4292 BED3 E9EA25E39900

Latest posts

Top Bottom